1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. shah

shah Minimodder

So are we going to get some updates :confused:

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I've got nothing of significance to show yet. I've just received some more random hardware, and rearranged the shop some. I've also been working on wire routing in CAD. Regardless of what the exterior looks like, most of the (hard) work will be on the inside. It's definitely progress, but not worthy of an actual forum update.

3. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I am just glad to see Craig surface ;)

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I demand -10,000 rep for Barry!!!!!

5. shah

shah Minimodder

We all are!!! :thumb:

6. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

That would be kinda cool! :rock:

7. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

carbon................

fiber......................

carbon....................

fiber.....................

(there needs to be a 'suffering from withdraws' smilie)

8. SturmGhost

SturmGhost What's a Dremel?

Any update?

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'd bet it is forum worthy progress, been ages since an update, think we need a reminder of some of the awesomeness that's lurking in the forum waiting to get finished. :D

Losias has been down for a couple days now while doing a 24 hour upgrade. :p:D

10. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

Beautiful looking project man. Just awesome. Can't wait till a techshop opens up near me so I have access to the same kind of tools:).

11. craigbru

Wow, you Sturm just had to bump this thread. Lol. Now you did it... This project is far from dead, I've just had other priorities to be dealt with. As Waynio mentioned above, we've relaunched Losias.net with a huge vBulletin upgrade, and are hard at work writing new front page content. We aim to be a SFF haven for all modders and enthusiasts. It's our niche, and we should have some cool stuff on the way.

Beyond that, I've actually been modding my Jeep. I've taken it from stock to rock, and I'm not done yet. In addition to the cosmetic and exterior work I've done, I also did a custom Android tablet install with a Nook Color. It managed to hit Lifehacker and Hack a Day from a log I posted over at the XDA Developers forum. The whole Jeep worklog is available at Losias. You can see I changed quite a few things from the planning stages, and I'm still not done, but this is what it looks like right now.

[​IMG]

And a picture of the Nook in the dash...

[​IMG]

I'm almost done with the Jeep, and my forums, and then I'll be back to modding. I know I'm long overdue, and I've got the itch. Be patient my friends. :D

12. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

Is that a led bar I see there on top ? :D

13. craigbru

No, it's not LED currently, but it will be as soon as I can manage it. I've got other things to buy first. Those are eleven 55watt halogens stacked side by side. They do put out some wicked light, that's for sure.

14. Sn00k3r

Sn00k3r What's a Dremel?

love that car :D

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Jeep looks fun & good to hear Osidias is just on hold for a bit, it's a rig that will still be awesome as long as form factors stay the same. :rock:

The modding itch it can't be ignored for too long. :D

16. shah

shah Minimodder

For a moment I thought it is a new update but then :miffed::D.... Although the Jeep looks very good, love the alloys :D.

So when can we expect an update :worried:

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Fancy electronics and a soft top. You do like to live dangerously.:D
    Thank you for adding some content after someone dry-bumped you again, though. That's a dayum sexy Jeep.

18. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

Oh, I thought as much but wasn't sure. If you want a lot of light from your led bar I can recommend Rigid Industries, I've got a set of Dually's from them and the light output is AMAZING. They consume 15 Watt and produce more light then a set of LightForce 140's (Which consume 75Watt). And the beam is crystal clear.

Ontopic: Loving the build ;)

19. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Heh, I wouldn't call a Nook color "fancy", but it is removable. :thumb:

still waiting on my -10,000 rep, but it would probably make it so I can't post....

20. craigbru

Thanks man. I'm not content just to mod computers. I tend to mod everything. :D

Yes, I was hoping this thread wouldn't be bumped until I had an update. Lol. At least I could post something interesting for you guys.

Thanks shah. I'm actually swapping out the wheels because I needed to move up to 16". That doesn't mean I'm not happy with the current ones, there were just limiting my tire choices.

Realistically, I wouldn't expect an actual update for about 2 months. I know that seems like a long time, but I'm just not quite ready yet.

Lol, it's not as bad as it seems. The Nook is easily removed from the dock. I used touch contacts for the audio, so it's just like popping the faceplate off of a car stereo.

I was looking at Rigid actually. A 50" bar would fit perfectly up there. It will likely be my next major upgrade on the Jeep.

Haha, you're right. It's not fancy, and that's exactly why I chose it. I won't cry if something should happen to it. It is a Jeep after all, and I chose my parts with that in mind. I've seem guys throw iPad's on the dash... Now that's crazy. You don't want to babysit one of those every time you go somewhere, or go offroad.

Edit: Here's a pic of the Nook in natural lighting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Feb 2012