1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress D33P THOUGHT, ..COMPLETE..FINAL PICS+VID

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 21 Jan 2012.

?

Hoopy or Tart3 handbag

Poll closed 16 Apr 2012.
  1. Hoopy

95.5%
  2. Tarts handbag

4.5%
  1. peteski

peteski long live the pc

think i'd go with the frosted edges as you said it definitely gives it more definition. keep up the good work mate this buld is gona be amazing when done i feel :rock: :rock: :rock:

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Wow I love this, totally unique. Looking forward to seeing this one develop. Got all the makings of an epic build.

I was looking at those rads your using the other day, it'll be interesting to see what they look like with some juice in them.

Top modding dude

3. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks Peteski, The frosted edges are being used , as I've done more pieces the look gets better. The back towers are looking good, So hopefully will be able to post new pics within a few days.

4. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers Jeff, praise indeed from a top modder. I'm looking forward to seeing those rads filled too

5. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

This has to be one of my favorite threads so far, just want to chip in and say i like the frosted edges too. :thumb:

Asouter likes this.
  6. Asouter

Asouter --------

:jawdrop: Wow thanks guys, the great comments keep the project easier, once again thanks

7. cerbrus2

cerbrus2 What's a Dremel?

Hey asouter. I was wondering. Could you maybe do a little tutorial on cutting. And mainly polishing of Arylic. Would be nice to know just how you get your acrylic looking so AMAZING.

And Then we will all vote to stickey it in the modding section or something.

Build looks just fantastic m8.

8. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Very nice skills working with acrylic!
    I'm seeing lot of creative use of acrylic also (which is hard to see these days!)

Keep working hard!

9. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks for the compliment Cerbrus, There is an excellent guide to acrylic already right here on the Bit-Tech website http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2008/03/14/a_modders_guide_to_acrylic/1

There is some really good stuff there, the only thing I'd add is that surface finish is a bit more important than the guide says....(I can already hear a sharp intake of breath from Brett) All I'm doing is using a fine file to get rid of saw marks. Here's what I'm doing a lil different, I'm using a P80 grade sand paper followed by a P320 grade. I was using a 1200 grade as a final finish before flame polishing but found it un-necessary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx7MHdWXQvc&feature=related

But the best advice I can give you is to experiment with off cuts and get a "feel" for the acrylic you are using, not all manufacturers use the same formula to produce their acrylic.

Hope this is helpful :thumb:

10. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks man, I know what you mean about not seeing many acrylic builds. Hopefully we'll see more. Acrylic really is an excellent material to work with. Check out MOTM there's an excellent project using acrylic and the guy is doing some quite complex bends, The project log is well worth reading.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2012
  11. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

I think that acrylic was used way too much years back, with the first "boom" in the modding community and people aren't too comfortable in using it just so they don't look old fashioned somehow hehe

I will be revisiting those worklogs since I have been very busy with my own project! :)

12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

mate this is getting better and better! the frosted edges look great and will catch the light alot more, highlighting them all. should give the whole thing more of a 'glow' look about it.

13. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Subscribed purely because you ditched 1 set of sexy rads for another sexy set of rads.
    That's perfectionism right there.

14. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

I'm intrigued. What are the ends made of? They look like they have been made on an SLA. I can't tell from the photo though.

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

Cheers Crappy, I'm very happy with the result, you should see the reservoirs, they seem to hang in the air exactly the same way that bricks don't) pics to follow soon.

LOL, welcome to the party :cooldude:

The ends are made from transparent glass-fiber reinforced nylon, Can't wait to get them running but I have so much finishing to do on the acrylic. Those rads try to pull me away from the sanding. (It's like a lil game they play, I can see them out the corner of eye teasing me)

16. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Those rads are screaming at me as well. I want to see then filled up....NOW!!!!...lol Hide them under the bed in a box.. Better still send them round to me for testing, I'll build them into a mod and then post the pics so you can see how good they look..:lol::lol:

17. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Those rads are kind of mesmerising! Cannot wait to see this all finished, im intrigued! I like the frosted edges too by the way, they give it a different look, but I think I prefer it.

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

i almost regret telling you about those rads now ;-)

19. are9are9s

are9are9s What's a Dremel?

Good god, if you can pull that concept off, I'll love you forever! And it seems you've made a good start

[​IMG]

20. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

WOW!! i saw this in the beginning, and then it...got lost somewhere...
    Awesome read, brilliant concept and amazing modding (and those rads :p) :thumb:

EDIT: the frosting does suit the build!