1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows [Solved]Missing critical or corrupt files for Windows XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DeafGamer2015, 16 Feb 2012.

1. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Hey everyone,

I came across an interesting discovery.. one of my customers just boot up their computer and it says <Windows root>/system32/ntoskrnl.exe

Missing or corrupted File

it says reinstall above file to continue but I do not have the version that is needed.. It's a Windows Home Edition.. and I only have Professional..

Their computer is a netbook so don't have a optical drive.. I was wondering if there's a way to reinstall the file without that..

Please help me!

He also said he doesn't have anything important on there...

from memory, it's an Intel Atom 1.6 GHz from Acer.

:wallbash::wallbash: HELP!!!

Last edited: 17 Feb 2012
  2. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

I was going to suggest running sfc scannow in a commmand prompt which would repair system files but normally you need a system disc but apparently there are ways around it but google turned up some stuff. Have a look at this post from Bleepingcomputer which describes a method of running it without a system disc.

I'd google a bit more to see if the information matches up to posts on other sites as it requires a registry edit. The search term I used was "sfc scannow windows xp without disc"

3. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

And I don't have an external cd/dvd drive to reinstall their Windows XP Home Edition.

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

You can reinstall off a usb stick which is probably the best route to go. It can be a right pain to get this file back on some times and requires you to work out of the command line.

The problem is that some anti virus progs see this file as a trojan and delete in, so be careful what anti virus goes back on to it.

5. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

This error can mean any thing. Which can be the result of bad memory/CPU/motherboard/hard disk/hard disk cable. Good hunting!

6. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

i just came back from a 3 hours job with this dude's computer.. guess what? the damn key that came with the netbook wont even activate.. says it's incorrect key.. called the Micro$oft Call center... so right now he's running off a trial version of XP for now..

7. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Monki and jeff,

how am I supposed to access Windows if the files are corrupted? I can't even get into Windows.. he said he doesn't have anything valuable on the system.. so I reinstalled the whole thing.. skipped the activation key request.. booted it up.. then it asked for the key.. I entered it.. and guess what? it says Incorrect Product Key. Please contact Micro$oft Center to get a new key. We called them. Went through too many hours to get the key.. I'm really frustrated with them.. I thought it was supposed to be easy!

:sigh::wallbash::waah:

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It takes less than 5 mins to activate on the automated line !!

9. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

I just remembered.. I have a spare disc with a unused key.. I don't need that thing anyway.. and it's too late to go fix the key issue.. I'll go tomorrow and try the key..

Last edited: 17 Feb 2012
  10. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Could install win7?

11. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Don't have the discs or the keys for Windows 7