1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect 3 heads into space

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 17 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

The demo actually has me slightly more excited about the multiplayer than the SP - as far as I can see they have taken the dialogue tree's good/bad option and made it ANGEL/DEVIL, completely unconvincing.

This is a good PR stunt though :)

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

"far-reaching ramifications"... Like the decisions in ME1 had in ME2 ? :D

4. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!

Wait, wrong game.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm in space!

6. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

pretty cool idea, nice to see SOMETHING even vaguely original come out of an EA owned office. shame the demo left quite a lot to be desired (as much as it pains me, probably not enough to stop me getting the game)

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

A decent PR stunt as such things go. Pointless of course, but then PR stunts usually are. Might be a world first though. First game to reach the outer-atmosphere? Can't say Space as it will never actually get that far.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Can't wait to see if any of these land in the ocean.

9. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Anybody know if any of them are going to be the PC version :sigh:

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

maybe they could stick the beastrix into the game.. like you run into a room and it's full of headless chickens and fobs wearing dr. ho support belts

welcome to the future

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Your decisions do change the course of the various plot lines to a degree.

Pleased Ashley or Kaiden are back in the squad for ME3... I tried to stay faithful in ME2... ahem

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

13. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Am hoping the third part of the series holds up. Mass Effect is on the cusp of being the greatest story ever gamed, it just needs to stick the landing.

14. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

^ This

I really REALLY hope that the zillions of dollars they've thrown into making and marketing the last slice of Mass Effect cheesecake doesn't end up being a waste and that they nail the story arc that we all weep tears of gratitude at the end of an era rather than tears of rage at a waste of a dramatic/enthralling/genre defining/changing game and wonder what could have been instead.

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

16. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Thing is the only result of them so far has been about say 10% of the dialogue being different between a completely paragon/renegade character. No actual plot implications yet.
    Then again I can appreciate how hard it must be to have so many branching options.

17. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

If you go into the fine details of exactly what is functionally different between the stories played as paragon or renegade then you probably won't find too many actual differences. You'd also be missing the point to an almost pitiable degree.

Mass Effect is a story. It is not a sandbox. The game is played in episodes and these can be addressed in a variety of different ways, but it's got a start, middle and end. If you want the sort of freedom to make choices that ultimately effect the entire game world, well you'd probably want to be playing something like Mount and Blade, which lets you make your own story. I don't think Mass Effect has ever tried to sell itself as a game about the choices you make shaping the story, rather the game lets you use the choices it gives you to define your character.

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Agree, there is enough 'choice' or at least illusion of choice to get you emotionally involved with the characters.

Trying to run through ME2 again quickly before 3 comes out

19. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Just imagine the headlines if any break loose from their balloons. Wouldn't want to be the "lucky" sod who gets ME3 delivered straight into the noggin. ;)

This. It's nice to be able to take a few different approaches, means you can make Shepard your own, while still enjoying a blockbuster plot. Bioware have done a pretty good job of keeping the balance. That said, I'm hoping for a few tough choices in ME3 - something like Virmire in the original - ME2 was sorely lacking in them.

(I'm also looking forward to the return of Conrad Verner... :lol:)

20. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Tags: Add Tags