1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

MOTHER OF GOD

2. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

How many hours of gameplay that took to get right?

Odd why the enemy jet didnt just rip him apart with the main gun.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Speaking of jets, I started to fly them. I unlocked air radar and rocket pods tonight (that tells you how behind I am). However I can't get kills on ground targets, just disables and going against air is tough. I'll line up a run, slow down, shoot rockets getting almost all hit markers then switch to my main and can't get a kill before needing to pull up. Any tips?

Also, I entered a rush game on channels with 45 ticket left. The AA (aka people killer) was just stilling there. I went 13-0 and was MVP after joining half way through :lol:

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I found that too but being on the receiving end in AA I've noticed damaged markers must pop up when they hit the ground nearby, force damage rather than direct damage happens in vehicles when that happens.

The only way I've done it is to fire a volley from a long way off, long enough so you have time for it to reload another volley, and repeat as you get closer.

I unlocked the ECM which was no use, it doesn't seem to be linked to the button I had for chaff so nothing frickin happened lol. I'll have to sort that one out.

With regards to the Stungravy video, how on earth did he do that without an aimbot? Maybe that's why I'm only 30 odd percentage hit with sniper rifles though because I don't think that should have been a hit.

Speaking of sniper rifles, are there any other scopes people use aside from the 12x Ballistic?

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Thanks, for the tip.

I have as standard on all bolt actions the 8x rifle scope with straight pull. If I'm long range sniping (which I don't do) I'd use the 12x and bi-pod

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I laughed yesterday on this one :
    That was M240B with Holo. I guess i got lucky with some prone sniper getting it right in the head.

7. adidan

The lucky ones are good.

Yesterday I managed to snipe a guy laying mines, it was a real quick shot I thought and I thought it was going to be a long shot, so to speak, but looking at the enemy killed, exposive destroyed meant I must have blown up his mine while he was stood next to it.

Shame as I aimed for his head though lol. :D

Yeah, if it doesn't destroy the vehicle when I start a long way off it may just tempt them to get out and try to fix it so the kill comes that way. The vehicle sometimes then blows itself up giving you the points if you can't get it with your volleys.

Mind you that's all reliant upon people spotting them for you, I strain my eyes half the time looking for traces of gunfire from vehicles because nobody bothers.

As for rifles, I've been sticking with the 12x and bi-pod for all, I think I just like the option of long range, especially if there are campers in the antenna (CB) or in the cranes (OF).

Had to give the straight pull a miss, I kept forgetting I was using that rather than the bipod so it gave me no advantage as I kept taking my eye off the sight thinking I had to reload.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I timely spam the q button as I fly around (so as not to lock it out), either as I fly in or by using the free look function and hopefully I will spot a vehicle that way. It works 90% of the time and you generally have an idea where vehicles will be or coming from.

9. adidan

It's second nature to me now, I mash the Q button constantly while keeping an eye out for likely locations, points being attacked or team members coming under fire.

Can the servers change the way how spotting works? Some servers it's pretty straight forward, everything gets spotted, it doesn't seem to matter at what distance. On other servers it seems to be only vehicles until you get close enough to soliders for it to take effect.

The worst is when you become squad leader and it starts throwing out commands to attack areas when you're trying to spot when you want your team to attack elsewhere.

10. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

servers down?

11. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Working fine for me.

12. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Anyone else getting these stupid connection errors?

"Game disconnected: your connection to the server timed out." :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Now I'm getting kicked from CPC server? Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Are u on WIFI?

Sounds like a ping issue.

14. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Nope.

It's only started recently and there's a lot of complaints on the forums so I'm guessing it's not just me.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Well Origin has been playing up today. Though i haven't been online lets hope they fix this for tomorrow evening!!!

16. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Back up for me.

17. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

Some good games on the server tonight, shame the randoms couldn't be asked half the time to attack. Got funny when they started to complain cause they were losing and yet they weren't going after the flags or mcoms:wallbash:

18. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

@ jetswap

Dannnnng

@ destroying vehicles with a jet

To be honest, I don't like the dumb fired missiles all the time. There are times when they're excellent, but there's times when I really like the downward facing camera because in addition to facing down it also zooms in a bit so you're able to spot for your team. Dumb fire missiles are amazing if you've got 2 coordinated jets that can come at a single target with them. That's actually the best way to ensure that a vehicle gets destroyed with jets. When I'm using laser missiles and going for a kill, I'll usually make several quick passes on my target. I've found that this is best done with vertical loops rather than turning to the side. However this doesn't give you too much time to set up a good angle to shoot the main cannon. What I usually do is use 2 quick passes of just laser missiles to disable then go into longer passes that I can use the main cannon in. The laser missile is pretty useless to be honest unless there's a soflam or a chopper with a laser painter around, but I use it mainly because there's usually very little I can do to help the ground, and the downward facing camera as I said before gives me the ability to do air surveillance for my team when there's nothing to shoot.

19. adidan

I had that last night too.

First Origin wouldn't respond when trying to join servers, then the disconnects. Finally got on one server and some numptee was just driving over our runway trashing planes and tking so I left that one. Finally got on another server and that dumped me out mid game with the disconnect.

Gave it a miss after that.

The disconnects are random, some days none whatsoever, other days reconnecting on a disconnect will work out fine. Makes me wonder what was going on as when they did the PS3 update they said that's what you would have to do so it's an issue that is known about.

What causes it I have no idea but I wish they would sort it out as getting kicked just before the end of a round when you're lining up awards is tedious.

It would be reassuring if they finally moved on from Origin 'beta' as well.

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

re: killing ground targets with jets: circle at near maximum height (nothing can lock you) and spot targets, once you find a suitable one dive down slowly and you'll have time to fire two volleys.

Since most people are now smart enough to bail if they don't have a repair tool, you still won't get kills all that often but the disable+destroy from the vehicle burning down is pretty valuable. Also if you disabled the AA, fly out of its range and that'll force the driver to bail and repair (ergo not shoot you), then you can safely swing back around and finish it off.