1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Corsair Carbide 500R Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 20 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

So bit-tech, would you rather buy a 500R or a R3 considering they are nearly the same price?

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

R3. I'd only be tempted by the 500R if it supported full size rads.

4. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

I am very happy to get a review for the 500R, I've been considering this case for some time. Good to see that it didn't score too badly. I guess the only problem is that it appears to have the same heat signature as an R3, which is both cheaper and quieter out of the box. Hmm. The debate of 500R vs R3 continues.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Feb 2012
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This case isn't for me, but I have to speak up...

It's great to see bit-tech looking into a little more detail on the Watercooling potential of cases. It's rare to see review pics with radiators in place. Please keep it up. :thumb:

6. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Thank you Antony Leather and Harry Butler this review has helped me finally make my mind up on what case to buy(This one)

Great features for the price.

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Great review, shame the case is so ugly!

8. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Water cooling is now accessible for less than £100, and I know there are people out there who don't consider it real water cooling unless you grow your own hoses, make your pump out of lego or use car parts for radiators (the 1980's were good weren't they?) but for most people the convenience makes sense. And you gotta hand it to Corsair - a late comer to the market, but wow, they seemed to have listened to what we want to buy...

So, they do SSD's, RAM, PSU, heatsinks and cases - what's not to like?

(I do not work for Corsair)

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Think I've found my next case, great review guys!

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Absolutely love my R3 and I don't think I would rather swap it for this. Having said that, I havent seen this case in real life and I prefer a quiet to case to a gamer oriented case.

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I love my R3 too. It seems like the only real edge the 500R has is the fact that it's a little easier to water cool.

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

If I didn't already own a CM 690II Advanced, and thus not need a decent case, I would get this.

13. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

Hate out of ten? Nice score, Bit-Tech - you'll be hearing from the internet soon...

14. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

That's a good looking case with a lot of potential. When I next buy a PC (the perils of having an Aussie girlfriend and no set place to live) this could well be the case!

15. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

If you mkove to Aus....youll need cooling in the summer or reduce your OC's :s

The perils of this country :p

But seriously that 83% mark.....8/10...thats pretty bad :p

Nice review guys. Still wouldnt swap my R3 over for the world. Love that beast.

16. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

Why has there never been a Bit-tech review of the 650d? surely a case that is more popular than this one?

17. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Too expensive and wasnt great at cooling. Did look great tho :)

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Eagerly awaiting a review of the Corsair Obsidian 550D. Looks great and hopefully at least somewhat lives up to its intended silence.

19. Rafe Zetter

Rafe Zetter What's a Dremel?

Errm, am I missing something? a fan filter at the back where the PSU goes, which, far as I'm aware, is an EXHAUST fan? So any dust blows out, onto the mesh and...stays there clogging up the exhaust flow.

Having just looked at my rig, I think a mesh filter there would be good if the PSU fan was reversed, and maybe even controllable, as right now my large PSU fan on the top directly faces my GPU and would be perfect to help direct flow onto it and upwards to the large 200mm top fan, something which many cases now have and take advantage of the same direction flow of PSU (reversed) + GPU fans + top fan. (Note my GPU is a twin frozor II so it is not ducted to the back like others are).

I'd do it myself, but the PSU is a brand new Antec high power 750 - too expensive to fiddle about with yet.

20. Rafe Zetter

Rafe Zetter What's a Dremel?

LOL oooh - my bad - the PSU mounts essentially upside down, and the fan slot next to it would provide updraft, - still, don't think my idea is soo crazy... so I'll leave this post here :)

Tags: Add Tags