1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Taking my CBT (again) in two weeks time. I did it a few years ago with the intention of getting a full bike licence but it didn't work out. Now I'm definitely going for it :D

My plan is to commute to work but I'm still undecided whether to go for a geared bike or just use a scooter. Using a geared bike would definitely put me in a better position for the full bike licence further down the road I guess, but the convenience of a scooter is tempting for a simple twist n' go commute.

What do you guys think?

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Geared. I don't even have to think twice about it. It'll make the rest of the test a lot easier if you can nail slow control before you come to learning on bigger bikes, and you'll walk all over Mod 1.

Bear in mind, the test is changing probably this year. If you are 21-25 and you were thinking about doing DAS: DO IT NOW.

3. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

So guys, the time has come to get new tyres and I'm at a blank as to what to get given my riding experience. Any suggestions from you folks for the SV-650? Sooner the better as the rear is borderline legal and I don't want to be pulled by plod!

Cheers!

The Ram

4. julianmartin

As I already said, quite happy with my Bridgestone Battleaxe BT-023s that I had on both my CBR600 and on my VFR800 now. Seem to have good all round performance for a sport touring tyre.

AFAIK, Dunlops are a no go.

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

+1 for the Bridgestone Battlax. I have the BT-021's on the ER6 and they do a good job keeping it stuck to the road.

6. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Far better than any Bridgestones. Had 3 pairs so far on my ER6.

7. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

This is why I asked, as I've heard loads about both tyres and either. I've hears loads about the Pilot Road 3's too and am wondering whether they're worth forking out the extra for. I'm getting a third off the rear as I've done less than 200 miles and its already borderline legal. Any more suggestions would be good.

Is there a big difference between the BT-21's/23's? Also the Pilot Road 2/3's?

The Ram

8. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

I'll throw my hat into the tyre debate with Metzeler M5 or Z8. However any of the mentioned tyres should be fine just remember to change both tyres if you are switching models.

9. julianmartin

well i think the 21/23 and 2/3 debate is simply the newer versions of the same tyre. So the lower numbers should be cheaper, I think.

I will say that I went from BT021s to 23s on my CBR600 and I found the 21s to be not that confidence inspiring, particularly the front in the wet, although my set were quite well worn I must admit. I've only had BT023s on my VFR800 and already done some pretty stupid things on them (such as powersliding out of that T-junction on my way to you the other day) and they've coped well. To be fair, as a new rider, I wouldn't worry TOO much about performance of the tyre because it's very unlikely you are going to be riding them to their limits just yet - so as aradeth says, I think any tyre from the big three (Michelin/Bridgestone/Metzler) in this sport touring category will do you just fine, there's just no point getting too hung up on the little details unless you are knee dragging at every opportunity.....

Oh and re the PR3s, the reason I didn't buy a set for my CBR was because of this: http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html

A very erroneous and strange issue but it spooked me right out!!!

10. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I can understand why you've said to avoid Dunlop. My front is terribly vague sometimes. Not the most confidence inspiring. That and the fact that after an hours ride at 60/70 it wasn't particularly warm...

Julian, I saw that a while ago. Thanks for reminding me of it. It seems a blip but does concern me enough to avoid them for the time being. I'm not concerned too much about performance per-se, but more that the tyres will be more sticky in the dry and wet than my current ones and get decent mileage. I'm not exactly Rossi through the corners! The PR2's seem to be the ones I'm favouring. Being offered a set for £210 plus £60 fitting. That price is with a third off the rear as it was so low when I bought the bike. Good value?

Really appreciate the help guys!

11. julianmartin

That's pretty damn expensive. £210 would be full price for a pair I think at a competitive retailer. 60 quid to fit seems quite a lot too...doesn't take that long!!!!

I think the BT023 full set I bought came out at about 240 fitted.

12. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

Can someone clarify a couple of points on the bike test?

Point 1: I need to redo my CBT but I'm unsure what route to go down to get my big license. As I understood it you have or used to have two options:

Option 1: You do your CBT + theory test followed by a test on a machine restricted to 33hp. Assuming you pass that you are restricted to 33hp for 2 years before it unlocks and you could ride anything you like.

Option 2: Direct Access. At 21 you do your CBT + theory + 2 module course on a 500CC machine after which you can ride anything you like.

I have my much beloved Yamaha DT125R at home which i'm very tempted to use for my 8 mile round trip commute to work. It costs sod all to run and is great fun to ride. If I do direct access I don't see me changing bikes for the next couple of years due to financial constraints so waiting 2 years for my license to unlock wouln't be the end of the world.

However doing my DA in the spring just gets the whole thing over and done with.

Point 2:

How is the DA changing? is it being made far more difficult? I thought they changed it only a couple of years ago but there was a big storm over the swerve manouver. What is being changed?

13. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Think you mis-read me! The £210 was for a pair of PR2's. :thumb:

The only way I could get the fitting down would be to take the wheels in off the bike but I don't have the paddock stands to do that... Would make it £240 fitted if I could... They charge £30 per wheel if it's on the bike, £15 if it's off. I know it's expensive but they've treated me really well with superb after sales service including two free tunings and a cleaning of the plugs. I know I don't need to feel obliged to use them but it'd be nice to get a good rappor. :)

14. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

Touring tyres should never get particularly warm as they are designed to operate at lower temperatures.
    £210 is a decent price for a pair of PR2's.
    From http://lightningpass.com/changes-motorcycle-learner-law

15. julianmartin

No i didn't - £210 is what a pair of PR2s should cost from a competitive dealer at normal price - if they have 1/3 off included in that, then that is quite expensive. Add £60 for fitting (!) then you are looking at £270 for a pair of tyres? That seems extreme if you are getting 1/3 off.

My pair of BT023s, so current gen tyres, were about 230/240 fitted and I had the front fitted a month before the rear, so separate fitting costs. PR2s aren't that much more expensive.

16. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

RANT : Accident

I live near a football station and there was a big game yesterday. I was meeting friends in the city so I took my motorbike as parking would be a bitch. On the way back though, I had an accident.

I was driving on a priority road, at a small intersection there was a big police vehicle parked and roughly 30 police officers standing chatting (because of the game, anti-riot). Offcours I wasn't breaking the speed limit and just trotting on, just a good mile more untill I was home.

A car came out of the side-street, who should give me priority, I didn't see him untll he came in my lane. I started breaking, but he was already so close I tried to swerve to the other lane but saw oncoming traffic.. so i hit the breaks full on, with the well known results... put the bike down, landed on me but then skidded on nicely.

The cops stopped the car in front of me, as he was the cause of the accident. And stopped other traffic as well and helped me get me and my bke up.

I was wearing proper motorcycle gear: boots, jacket, gloves and helmet ; but no proper riding pants (just jeans), I was putting it off as i couldn't find one that fitted me well and I'm losing a lot of weight. Still, no excuse.

Anyway, I tore my pants apart, scratched up my knee pretty badly. Boots took a beating, jacket has some deep scratches/marks , as does my helmet. I ride a SM (DRZ400SM) so luckily they go down pretty well. Lost one of my sliders, some scratches on the plastics, one plastic seems to be loose, handguard is scratched up and my steering bar is crooked. But need to have a good luck under direct light.

Ambulance and even more police (local this time) came to write everything down, take our statements and give us a breathanalyser test (I never drink while riding my bike, so I was safe, as was the cager). I choose to go home on my bike and not go with the ambulance (costs would probably be for me, and didn't want the hassle of getting home, getting my bike etc..)

So crappy night!

I love riding, but the cagers make it so dangerous... as all riders after an accident, I'm considering getting rid of the bike... but I love riding so much! I guess it will depend on how much I get from insurance for all the damage... as I don't want to invest another few grand to fix my bike and get a new outfit.

I admit I often ride my bike like a hooligan, but because of all the police I was riding like a school-example. Below speed limit, keeping my distance, looking well ahead... and this still happened, I don't know what more I could have done to avoid this. Nothing to prevent from this happening again and it then may not end so well as this did.

Bleh... feel like crap!

17. julianmartin

Sorry to hear that dude. Don't get rid of the bike! You'll regret it so quickly. Best thing to do is chalk it up to life experience.

I am coming over to Belgium on my bike today! I would say lets go for a ride but that probably won't work now...

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Don't do it Lovah - bad things happen, consider it another thing you've done and lived through! Do insurance costs generally cover you for protective gear replacement after an accident?

19. RTT

RTT #parp

I may have just bought an 1198S.

ffs, hurry up spring!

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ooh. New or 2nd RTT? Sounds sexy, please tell me you bought red!