1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Alessandro 250: I'm Back- But Not For Long- PSU Sleeving Finished. 03/04/12

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KidMod-Southpaw, 17 Feb 2012.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Chrome trim... You are entering dangerous territory my friend! That can look insanely well, or kill the whole thing! But I REALLY hope you pull it off! :thumb:

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

We'll see, if it looks anything like the GTO's front grill, I'm good! I've got the silver horse ready too! :D

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D My dad got some of that type of stuff for his goldwing, instantly thought hmmmmm nice modding material :D it can do curves quite nicely too but go too sharp & tight of a curve & it can start cracking, fun stuff though. :)

Look forward to seeing what you do with it. :)

4. KidMod-Southpaw

Well Wayne, the stuff is stuck on right now. :D
    I'm at Grandpa's and once I put the next update on later, you'll see what it's looking like- finally. :thumb:

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Sounds like things went well then. :)

6. KidMod-Southpaw

Very, and it gets better!
    Tomorrow, I'm off to Scan, and after my recent payment:
    I'll either come back with nothing, or about a grand's worth of goodies. :D
    And then I have to try my hand with Paracord. :)

7. KidMod-Southpaw

It Finally Looks Like A Case Again. And It Looks Bloody Good!

Wow! Everyone! Progress has been massive today! And It's going to be a very exciting few days ahead, let me tell you that! So today, I want to get straight to the pictures, and I'll explain why I'm so excited in the last paragraph:

[​IMG]
    We start with this, a now matte black case panel...

[​IMG]
    There's the other one...

[​IMG]
    First modification of the day- leather applied!

[​IMG]
    And gradually, I started putting the case bits back together, fan grill- in!

[​IMG]
    Then, I got the last bit of leather on the side of the power supply.

What we can now happily do is look at some incomplete photos of the case, because I believe it's looking great already! And there's still a fair bit to do:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Yep, that's all for today, but I think the progress made here is massive!
    So, why is it going to be such an exciting weekend? First off, I'm going to Scan tomorrow, and I will either return with nothing, or about a grand's worth of computer goodies! I also have some paracord to play with, and a Ferrari badge to get!

See you tomorrow! :)

8. KidMod-Southpaw

Actually, can anyone recommend some tips for Paracord? And what to spend a grand on. :D :lol:

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Drinks are on you, flash git :p

As for the mod, the trim looks ok, but the joins are really messy imo.

10. KidMod-Southpaw

You remember the sheepskin jacket don't you? After all, I am a dodgy car salesman. :p

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I believe Nutman or maybe even AnG3L are modders who have used it brilliantly & shown how good it can be.

You read Custom PC, they have good articles on suggested systems & they have good tips for good kit that doesn't cost a fortune, I found the other day I have no need at all for sli 580's, 1 is plenty good enough for me at 2560x1440, sli 580's is overkill unless you were on a mega high res or you use them for things other than gaming like folding I guess, for the cost of the kit & the extra power draw it is so not worth it unless you use it for things other than gaming that can really use them, I'd even say 1 580 is overkill for 1080p you could get away with a cheaper card & still have great performance, then again I suppose if you use massive hi res texture packs in games you will see the benefit nicely, only badly made games seem to need crazy powerful GPU's.

About the chrome trim, it is awesomely curved & applied but it would have been better if you had the join in the middle of a straight line, the join would be more seamless but other than that it's nicely done. :)

edit. To be honest your current rig looks quite good to me. :D

12. KidMod-Southpaw

It's alright Wayne, I'm a tight arse, I'll probably end up not buying anything...
    As for the trim, I was not at all clued on being able to join the stuff, but I think it looks good on the case. And I like it, that's what matters. :)

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol::rock::D Nice one :)

14. KidMod-Southpaw

'Tis a while since I've heard that one, could have been said in the project log. :D

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I agree with Waynio that the chrome trim looks a bit sloppy the way that it isn't joined together. It would look better if it was joined in the straight edge. I do like the chrome edging though. It looks cool with the black and leather.

Would be nice to have a grand to try to figure out what to spend on! It wouldn't take me much time to spend it to be sure.

16. KidMod-Southpaw

Thanks for your comments, I understand the issue. Sadly, with the nature of the trim, there isn't too much I can do about it. And like I said to Wayne, I'm confident I won't spend anything because I'm a tight arse. :p

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That's the thing with modding though, we all often feck up with it all being experimental amateur hobby, well for amateurs it is anyway, well experienced pros can laugh along at our mistakes which is ok you learn to laugh at yourself at a lot of things, well I do anyway :D, it costs & you do your best to not feck up on it again :D, true though I doubt that trim could be bent back to perfectly straight again to re do it so to re do it would mean taking that off & doing it again with more material, be glad your not a perfectionist because anyone who is it always costs us some more to get it right. :D:wallbash::lol:

But it makes us happier with our projects when we know we dug a little deeper to do it right. ;)

But absolutely if your happy with it then that's awesome because you will save money by not re doing bits & you will know next time you use a material like this how to do it better. :)

Like I said it's done excellent except for the join being on a curve instead of a straight line.

18. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I wouldnt suggest where to spend a grand buddy cause sometimes I can be a very naughty boy looooool :p On the serious side though I would suggest a trip. Is a nice experience!! Modding rocks as always I will agree with the guys above me according to the trim but I know its not easy to achieve a perfect look at once it needs practice! This is modding we all learn and become better!!! Mod on buddy!! :)

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Agree with Alex, my wording :hehe: I sure ramble. :D

20. KidMod-Southpaw

Cheers Wayne, and that is another perspective to bear in mind- low budget. Refraction? Cost nothing! This? Cost very little. See the pattern? :p
    Thanks very much Alex. Now it might sound crazy, but I don't think I like perfection, it doesn't suit me. :)
    When you span a project log to more than 90 pages, you bloody well do! :D