1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclock Guide...Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Reg216uk, 23 Feb 2012.

1. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

Hello people,

I have a basic/medium skill range with overclocking and im looking at doing it a little more seriously.

My current spec is.

Intel i5 2500K ( 4.3ghz )
    8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme 1866mhz ( 2 x 4GB )
    Asus P8Z68 V-Pro
    Palit GTX 580 3GB
    Antec Kuhler 920

I have overclocked this using the Asus AutoTune feature on desktop which seems to be working quite well. I can actually overclock to around 4.7Ghz using this feature, the problem being im not sure its stable enough and weather im getting the speed I should.

If im getting 4.7Ghz OC on the processor should it be done with my RAM set to 1866hz as my ram seems to be set to a much lower setting.

Also can anyone assist with a basic guide to overclocking this processor with this board manually in BIOS....

I basically wanna make sure my overclocks are set correctly on both the CPU and RAM as I dont think Auto Tune is doing this right.

I know its a basically explanation but there you go im not very good at speaking haha.

Id really appreciate a little help thanks. :)

2. cerbrus2

cerbrus2 What's a Dremel?

these CPU's are incredibly easy to overclock. Im not sure about the bios layout of your board. But In first tab on the advanced bios you have the extream tweaker menu.

in their is a sub menu called CPU tweker.

go in their and turn off Speedstep and turbo mode.

you can now either go back to the main tweaker menu. and change the multiplier to say 48.

for a 4.8GHZ oc. Below is also the vcore voltage setting I would not go past 1.45v in fact i would set this to 1.4v and then just keep increasing your Multiplier untill the system becomes unstable then just knock the multiplier down a bit.

the problem with the auto tune is it has an obsession with changing the BCLK from 100MHZ to what ever the hell it wants. I never see it go past 107MHz the chips dont like being overclocked this way imo.

I dont know everything their is about these Bioses. They confuse the hell out of me with some of these newer option. their are much better people on here to tell you how to do it.

But just to show you how easy these chips are to overclock.

Me a releative noob with 1155 chips can get this stable.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2241481

But as we all know all chips are different.

and as for the ram yes set it manualy. either with the timmings or by using the drop down ram speed box.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

the lazy way to overclock part 1

Set multiplier to 48
    Set Cpu Vcore to 1.43vcore
    disable turbo
    disable speedstep ( you can turn this back on once done below)

and boot

run prime 95

if no crashes reduce the vcore again until you find the min required to do it. then reenable speedstep as it will reduce the electric bill and save you some noise polution
    Task complete

Overclocking the more novice way

you have 4.3 already

increase vcore and multiplier in increments till you find the stable required for 4.5 ghz then go up to 4.6 4.7 4.8 ect

and keep working on the vcore and multiplier

disable turbo
    disable speedstep

and leave them disabled

your ram speeds should be as close to default as possible to avoid stability issues.

4. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

If I recall correctly, P8P67 boards use Turbo Mode to apply the overclock, so you actually have to leave them enabled.

P8P67 Review Page 2 Paragraph 4:

When overclocking, we usually turn off EIST (Intel Enhanced SpeedStep Technology) and Intel Turbo Boost, as allowing these technologies to play around with the CPU speed on the fly can cause problems with an overclock. However, the P8P67 overclocks via Turbo Boost 2, and allows you to increase the ceiling to which the CPU boosts. This is in contrast to the more traditional approach we saw from MSI's equivalent P67A-GD65 (look out for a full review of this tomorrow), which simply lists a ‘CPU multiplier’ option.

Edit: I used that info plus the Bit-tech guide How to Overclock the Intel Core i5-2500K page for the P8P67 Deluxe to do my last overclock on a P8P67 Pro.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've never disabled speedstep when overclocking. Turbo, yes... but never speedstep. Why have your CPU running flat out while idling along at the desktop? I can't even say that I've ever noticed any extra instability while OCing with speedstep on.

6. cerbrus2

cerbrus2 What's a Dremel?

Because of the sudden voltage and clock spikes can cause instability. Going from say 3.3GHz and suddenly getting bosted to 4.5 could cause some instability.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Well.. like I said, I can't ever recall getting any higher overclocks when turning it off. If it ever did, I think I'd still rather have a slightly slower overclock and not have the CPU screaming away all the time when not needed.

8. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

Hey guys thank you all for your help, ive gone through BIOS now and overclocked it manually. I have it clocked to 4.7 with temps of 36-40C idle ( Dependant on room temp at the time ) and 78C with it running on prime95. One of the fans on the Antec Kuhler 920 isnt spinning so will have to change that tomorrow. Hopefully that will drop my Max temp down some what.

Ran Prime95 for around 3 Hours now with no errors what so ever so im very happy now.

Next thing is trying to setup this Antec Kuhler with my motherboard correctly as ive had some issues. Having to run the fans seperately from different points on the mobo and not with them connected together....sorry but im not really sure how to explain it.

9. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I wouldnt (personally) let it get as hot as 78c load temps. My preference would be max 65c, but ideally under 60c.

Get that fan spinning and test it again! :thumb:

10. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

Yeh im just trying to work out that issue now. The Kuhler doesnt like being setup the way it should be which is why ive just had to run another thread. Other people have been having the same issue.

Below is that issue :S

So I bought and installed the Antec kuhler H2O 920 and it works great but the software will not work.

I plugged the usb into the black usb port on the mobo that made the led on the pump flash red but did nothing else. Then I unplugged the usb and plugged it into one of the blue usb ports on the mobo. The fans went from running at max to running at silent and the fans now spin up and down like they are supposed to depending on the temp of my cpu but the software still dose not work.

The error I get when I try to start the software is "Cannot connect to chill control device. Check usb header on device and restart the Chill Control Application".

I have tried everything I can think of and all of the "solutions" I could find on google. Many people have had this problem which makes me think it is software and not hardware which means it would be pointless to RMA it seeing as how the one they would send me would probably have the same problems.

I don't know if anyone has this cooler but if you do and have run into this problem and know how to fix it any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro

11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Does the fan not come with a 3/4 pin plug to put into your mobo? If not then maybe invest in a better fan and let the motherboard control it via a 4pin header