1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclocking i7-920 Need help To 4.0GHz+ Any tips are welcome =)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cillerbee, 25 Feb 2012.

1. cillerbee

cillerbee What's a Dremel?

I've had my current i7-920 Since 2009 and over the course of its life I've tried many times to hit 4.0 GHz while being stable with a vcore of about 1.42. However no matter what different settings of my own and those from around the web I've tried I've had no luck. I'm hoping maybe some direct help from fellow forums members and overclocking enthusiasts will lead to better results.

My current settings are:

[​IMG]

Temp @ Idle: 37 C
    Temp @ 100% Load over 1 Hour: 67 C

-So far I've been Stable at 3.9 GHz with a VCore of 1.425V at 100% Load
    -I tried 4.0 GHz with the same VCore and Settings I crashed in 3 Mins @ 100% Load
    -I've tried underclocking
    -I've also tried using multipliers of x19, x20 and x21
    -Under the assumption that this is a Bad Bin CPU I have hence the High Voltages to run stable @ 100% load

My current Mainboard is a: ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe
    Ram: 12 GB of Triple Channel G.SKill Ripjaws 1600 Mhz Ram
    Cooling: Custom Water cooling with just CPU Loop on EK-XTX 360 RAD and RASA CPU Block

What I'm trying to achieve:

- 4.0 GHz or Over
    - No permanent Damage to CPU for 5 Months
    - Idle Temps Below: 50 C
    - Load Temps Below: 80 C

I don't mind trying any extreme solutions as long as i don't damage my CPU permanently or at least for the next 5 months.

Thanks for taking a look, any help and or tips would be appreciated =)

Last edited: 25 Feb 2012
  2. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

hello bud, i can get my 920 to run at 4.2 with about 1.375 core volts......i have my ich voltage a bit more than yours, i also have to give it more pll than you are giving yours.
    i noticed you got uclk and qpi on auto, i always have mine set at a number.
    thers lots of good i7 overclocking guides on the web.
    good luck!

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

It may help if you put QPI link speed from auto to 16x (I have this on my p55 board, as well as 18, it could be 32 and 36 on yours). Oh and I found disabling Virtualisation Tech helped stability above 4GHz, unless you need it of course. Oh try using a bclk of 200 and a 20x multi. Or a 190 bclk and a 21 multi to get 4GHz. Oh and I think uclk is the uncore speed which should be 2x RAM speed + bclk, but I'm not overly sure on that.

After that my knowledge of X58 runs out lol

4. cillerbee

cillerbee What's a Dremel?

I'll give those two a try. I've actually tried a lot of the guides on the web including the one on Bit-tech and found those unsuccessful which is why i decided to ask just for this case.

Going to give the QPI and V-tech off and see how that goes. I already tried 200 for bclk with 20x multi but anything beyond 195 and I cant get past the boot screen.

If it helps I have a C0 revision chip.

5. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder