1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Alessandro 250: I'm Back- But Not For Long- PSU Sleeving Finished. 03/04/12

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KidMod-Southpaw, 17 Feb 2012.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

It's all the same thumb! :waah:

2. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Looking great so far! Dont let the setbacks get you down though, theyre all part of the mod, and make it part of the fun constantly striving to better yourself! Keep goin, I look forward to your updates!

3. KidMod-Southpaw

Great! Thanks mate! :thumb:

4. cerbrus2

cerbrus2 What's a Dremel?

Looks great and i love the idea behined it.

With the Chrome Trim........... Why not remove it, and shift it round a bit so the Joins are in the centre of the longest striaght, That might help you get the joins looking grand m8. I know how hard it is to get joins to look good around corners being a caprenter. So I know its not an easy job. But better to get them joined on the straight.

But I am loving the leather covering. It looks great. One thing I would change though And this is just my opinion is the wood laminate that you are using. You can infact get some real wood Veener samples that will look absolutly spot on,

I get my wood veener from here. http://www.woodveneeruk.co.uk/products.php?cat=Samples

I will go and have a look in the workshop tommorow morning before i go to site, and see if their is any larger sheets available. And I will nick some for you lol.

5. KidMod-Southpaw

Awesome mate! That's really helpful of you!
    We will be redoing that piece of chrome next week, and joining it on the straight instead. :)

6. KidMod-Southpaw

24 Pin Sleeving Started! And See How I Sleeve!

Ok guys, we're back with another pretty large update. I was yesterday desperately looking for an ATX pin removal tool to start my sleeving as soon as possible, and today, forum user Paz45 did so very kindly as to drop a set off at my house. Thanks so much! So, let's have a look at the progress, and my first time using paracord:

[​IMG]
    Heatshrink cut, I'll be needing some more though...

[​IMG]
    And obviously, we start by removing the pin. The ones on Antec PSU's take A LOT of force though!

[​IMG]
    I then wrap the pin in tin foil to stop the sleeve catching on the pin.

[​IMG]
    And once the sleeve is on, I do the same but put it over the sleeve, to get the heatshrink over it.

[​IMG]
    And to make sure it stays, I use a candle to melt the sleeve inside the heatshrink, and melt the heatshrink to the wire cover.

[​IMG]
    Then I took a break! Cheesecake Cheesecake! :D

Well, I managed to get 6 of the 24 cables done today! So let's have a look at the current progress, awesome photos follow:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, that's it for today everyone. Despite being back at school this week, I hope to bring you an update every day with progress on the sleeving! See you then, KidMod! :thumb:

Blazza181 likes this.
  7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ugh, I have a wicked sweet tooth & got the munchies bad now but no munchies in the house & that is a well detailed close up shot arrrrrrrrrrgh. :lol::D

Nice start on the sleeving Kidmod, looks good. :)

8. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Nice cheesecake Kidmod, +rep :hehe:

9. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Sleeving, sleeving, takes practise to look good. :)

The cake, ahhh to much chocolate for a young one, must send to me. :naughty:

10. KidMod-Southpaw

Thanks Wayne. :p
    No comments on the mod itself? Unless you want me to slap Cheesecake on the case. :p
    Well what do you think of the sleeving then? :D
    Cheers mate.

11. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Hey KidMod :)
    As craig said sleeving takes a lot of practice.

I would recommend you to even the heatshrinks first thing so they look aligned, and 2nd tip is get a 15$ heatgun instead of a candle that will take your heatshrink job to the next level xD

I would make some tests before sleeving everything...
    I've been doing some sleeving myself today, I will upload some pics later have a look if you will :)

12. KidMod-Southpaw

Surprisingly enough, this is my first proper time doing individually sleeved cables. :)
    I just wish I'd had the time to buy pre cut heatshrink from MDPC- X.

And yes, I will, cheers mate. :)

13. paz45

paz45 What's a Dremel?

Looking good mate :thumb:, but seriously i think you should have gave me
    the cheese cake for the tools i lent you :D:D:D

Last edited: 27 Feb 2012
  14. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Okay it looks like the sleeve is even distance from the connector this is good. Cut the shrink 15-20mm long all even. Then heat shrink slowly rotating to get even shrinking, keep shrink on the same place on each pin, thinnest spot. When cooled stretch the sleeve to the other end, do not let go, use a spring clap if you want and shrink other end. Always keep shrink moving across flame and turn to get even shrinking.

You have some good one's there. Just measured a crimp, in the candle photo move your shrink 5mm to the right. :) I use a lighter, feel it gives better control while turning cable. :)

15. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Getting the heatshrink to the right length takes practice. An easy method I've used before that saves a load of time with individual measuring - get a clear tube, like a biro or something, wrap some insulation tape round it at the length you want, stuff in heatshrink to the tape marker then just hold everything still and cut it! The end of the biro will also help to make sure the cuts are straight as well as helping to get the lengths the same.

Good work so far btw :D I love the car you've chosen as inspiration!

16. KidMod-Southpaw

I might just have another piece when I'm done with them. :naughty: :D
    Thanks very much mate, I'll have a go, but I don't have that much heatshrink left to practise with.
    Awesome idea, thanks mate! :thumb:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I think best & quickest way to get heat shrink the same length & perfect cuts is have a block to push up against which won't move, stick a piece of masking tape the distance you want it to be from the block & use it as a guide & slice with a razor, you can do loads very fast this way once you've done a few & you get the hang of it. :)

A cutting mat helps also though.

18. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I may try using paracord the next time around as it can be found in all kinds of really nice colors. I hate sleeving though. It is such tedious work.

19. KidMod-Southpaw

SO much slightly conflicting advice! :D Cheers Wayne.
    Yeah, the Paracord is great! Feels better than normal sleeving too. :lol:

20. KidMod-Southpaw

24 Pin Sleeving Update 1

Right guys, I'm back with the first of the daily sleeving updates as we watch the cables go black! It's slow and painful progress, so I'll just get right down to the photos:

[​IMG]
    Told you it was painful!

Apart from that, it's obvious what I'm here to show you, so I'll get right to the final photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, that's it for today, I'll obviously be sleeving more tomorrow, so I'll see you then! KidMod. :thumb:

Tribble likes this.