1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Raspberry Pi: the modder's dream machine?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Jan 2012.

1. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Not to bring back a old cow, but.... can it play Crysis?

:D

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

In all seriousness, if OnLive ported its Android app (which is already working on ARM processors, albeit ARMv7) it probably could. For values of 'play' that include 'farm out the heavy lifting to a data centre and display the result,' anyway.

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Raspberry Pi + Splashtop + High end gaming rig = ????

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Get up,
    buy 1,
    go back to bed,
    wake up,
    hope that I got up and it wasn't a dream

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

[Churchill Dog]Ouhhhhh Yess[/Churchill Dog]

It's finally happening :D

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I think it will be like this :

Get up,
    notice website is down because of the DDoS (aka everyone refreshes the pages to get one before it goes out of the stock)
    sit behind the computer until 8AM, when you finally finish the order you started at 6:30AM when the slow site finally came back
    get a message that item is out of stock

:D

9. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Oh HELL YES! I am SO getting one of these with the XBMC install.

10. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Damn, I can't get up that early. Guess I'll just stay up all night and do some benchmarking instead :)

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's come an awful long way since the very first video I saw with David Braben last year, and even further from their first ever prototype of a $25 computer...

For what it's worth, I'm rather glad that they ditched the USB stick form factor; the current layout is far easier for connecting peripherals.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I've been up since 0540 to follow the launch, so for those interested...

The Pi was officially launched today, along with an announcement that the foundation have secured manufacturing deals with both RS Components and Farnell. This means that they are no longer limited to batched production runs of 10,000 units at a time. Units can now be manufactured to order, based on demand. Which is pretty awesome. The Model A, which is not on sale until later this year, also received a spec bump: the memory has been doubled to 256MB at no extra cost.

Both Farnell and RS started selling the first batch of 10,000 units today. Farnell sold out pretty quickly, but are now accepting pre-orders. I've read that they will be able to meet these pre-orders within 16 days, and the foundation confirmed this over twitter. RS were asking people to register interest, rather than hosting a normal product sales page. It is believed that this is so that they can limit sales to 1 per customer, as per the agreement; it has been reported that Farnell were allowing sales of more than 1 unit per customer. The last I read, the foundation were trying to get hold of their contacts at RS to confirm the situation.

The RS site seems to be OK at the moment, but the Farnell site is still melting. I did manage to dig out the link to the Farnell product page, however: http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/raspbrry-pcba/sbc-raspberry-pi-model-b/dp/2081185.

So. Mad dash over. I actually managed to register on the RS site not long after 6am this morning - hopefully I'll be one of the few that actually manages to get one of the first batch of units from RS. Even if I don't though, the manufacturing deal means that I probably won't have to wait long.

Spot on! :thumb:

13. faugusztin

Unfortunately international orders are pretty much nonexistent.

Wikipedia says :

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Farnell and RS are able to ship internationally; that was part of the reason for going with a distributor, as it should cut down on shipping costs (as opposed to all units being delivered to the UK then shipped abroad). But I don't think you're alone in having difficulty today...

To be honest, if I haven't secured one from RS, I think I'm going to let the hype die down a little before pre-ordering... Now that they aren't limited to production runs of 10,000 at a time, it should be far easier to meet demand.

EDIT: Ah, ok. Didn't see the Wikipedia bit. I think I'll wait and see what information the foundation manages to get out of RS - they are supposed to be shipping internationally, and there was no suggestion before this point that RS would only ship to the UK. I think both distributors vastly underestimated demand.

15. faugusztin

Farnell is shipping internationally, but they are sold out. RS is shipping internationaly, but not for end users - which equals to no international orders for majority of users. Sure, shops could order from RS and this way we could call what RS does "international sales", but for now, it equals to no international orders.

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

There seem to be a lot of angry geeks regarding this launch. Not folk on here just round the web, people really need to calm down a bit, it is just a computer, bloody cool but just a computer. Within a month Farnnell and RS will have their supply chain sorted and this will be a distant memory.

Although with my angry geek hat on, neither are particularly good partners for the "enthusiast" earlly adopter community they'll be fine for schools etc i suppose. . RS can get arsy if your not a company, though I've ordered from them before. Farnell have a pretty high minimum order (£20) fine for the Model B but it'll be a restriction for single order model A's

@BLC, thanks for the summary, I didn't think getting up early would bear fruit. Sorry.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm going to be keeping my eye on this today and see what the Raspberry Pi foundation has to say. As far as what has been announced, there should be no restrictions on who RS will ship to:

"Both Premier Farnell and RS Components have worldwide distribution networks, so wherever you are in the world, you will be able to buy from a local distributor." (http://raspberrypi.org/#licensed)

18. faugusztin

Sure, but :
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/ -> search for Raspberry Pi and you end up at http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi

Select Europe, Slovakia and you end up at : http://export.rsdelivers.com/ -> search for Raspberry Pi and you end up at http://export.rsdelivers.com/catalogue/search.aspx?query=raspberry pi = nothing.

So while RS probably has a "worldwide distribution network", they simply don't offer R-Pi anywhere else but UK.

That was my point when talking about RS. And well, Farnell website is still unreachable :D.

19. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Awaiting for the next model to come out..

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The next model will be the Model A; it will only have one USB port and no ethernet, but will be priced cheaper at $25.

Tags: Add Tags