1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It does and very quickly! I bought a Noppoo mini with browns from GeorgeStorm on here for £60, a week later I got a Filco Ninja TKL ANSI for my birthday for home... 2 weeks after that I have just ordered a KBC Poker with blacks for £85....

Now I have moved on to custom key caps, currently got bids on about £100 worth of stuff!

2. Lord Badger

Lord Badger What's a Dremel?

I'm so far managing to convince myself I don't need custom keycaps. I think buying the ninja helps as I'm still enjoying the novelty of them rather than wanting something different.

3. longweight

Are you sure....??

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Feb 2012
  4. Lord Badger

Your pic doesn't seem to be working, probably because geekhack wants me to log in to view the page.

fortunately I remain unconvinced about needing new caps :)

5. longweight

6. Lord Badger

phew, that is in no way going to convince me :)

7. longweight

Where is your sense of adventure?! :p

I am thinking that I might need to try a Cherry blue switch soon, I do love browns but they feel a little bit light. Will probably get a Noppoo white with Cherry Blues :)

8. Lord Badger

My sense of adventure is currently seeking some protective eyewhere I think.

Oh dear more combinations to tempt money out of my pocket

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

There are a lot of other more reserved custom keycap buys as well. My Miami set (the pink and teal) is not for everyone. Perhaps the blood (red on black) or creamcheese (green on cream) set would be of more interest?

I spent a good chunk this month on some vintage Cherry keyboards, mostly for the keycaps. 2 new old stock including one so rare I can find 0 info on it anywhere on the internet, a G80-499 with Commodore branding and a G80-2551HAD. 2 used with some harder to find keycaps, namely centered stem capslock. All doubleshots of course.
    I still need to source 1 more board with white doubleshot 1.25 ctrl and alt keys and I will be all set. A bit of advice, don't get hooked on Cherry doubleshots as it can get expensive since they have the annoying habit of having whole keyboards attached to them.

10. down18

down18 What's a Dremel?

Anyone have any experience with the Noppoo Choc Mini or the Keycool 87 with Browns?

They seem to be the cheapest option from eBay for a mechanical keyboard with Browns, I don't want to splash out 100+ on a Filco and find that I don't like them much.

Alternatively, anyone know anywhere in Manchester you could try them out? In a PC World I visited (wanted to try out mice shapes, don't judge me!) they had a Blackwidow with Blues and a 6GV2 with Blacks but none with Browns.

Cheers.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Meh my bad! I didn't see the part about backlit, I blame the manflu.

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Did you like blues or blacks at all? Brown feels more like blues slightly lighter with less tactility but not as little as blacks.
    Noppoo and Keycool are probably pretty similar in overall build quality, just pick which layout you like better. Neither are a bad buy.

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I had a Noppoo with browns for a short while before I sold it on to Longweight :)

I quite liked it, layout was good, quite liked browns as switches (at that point I'd only tried blues). Nicest thing about it (for me) was probably the keycaps, since I got the white model, with nice thick ones :)

14. longweight

I have both the Noppoo and the Filco with browns and I love both! The Noppoo is louder but I think I prefer it for work as it has the numpad overlay which is very handy for ASCII inputs.

15. longweight

[​IMG]

Poker with blacks arrived today! Using it at work now, the Poker layout does not work if you need to use the F buttons a lot but I think it will be great to carry around and I am quickly falling in love with the feel of the Blacks!

16. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

Would any one recommend this keyboard (Clicky)

I have read the guide on Overclock.net and I think browns would be best for me out of the lot, as I do more typing than I do gaming, but still game on regular basis.

If not that keyboard could anyone recommend any other keyboards that would be around £80 delivered (maximum as i dont have lots of money :()

Last edited: 2 Mar 2012
  17. longweight

I have a Noppoo, there is a picture of it in the post above yours! I would definitely recommend it, I prefer it in white but that is obviously a personal choice and I would definitely go for browns on your first board for gaming / typing at home :)

18. Auxilliary

they definitely look very nice, personally prefer to have a black keyboard as it goes with everything else I have, but it is all right to buy one of the ones from china, as i never really bought anything on eBay or from another country so im a bit wary of it all

19. longweight

Auxilliary likes this.
  20. Auxilliary

aha perfect, thanks just gotta wait for my money to go in tonight and I shall order it.