1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's all this talk of a Mass Effect 3 boycott about!?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mattyh1995, 27 Feb 2012.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

In that case many of you would then complain about that damn half gigabyte "patch" you have to download for your game you just installed from the DVD on release day.

2. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

And you believe what they say? Yes tweaking and fixing stuff until release is good, and then its that day one patch which is normal for most games.
    But it is obvious the decision was made long ago that they would create something that will be day one DLC, and charge extra for this. It does not take several months to manufacture discs, manuals, etc.

And this DLC is a kind of a big deal, its a Prothean mission and character, Mass Effect has had Protheans as one of the main components of the story.

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I think a worse travistry fot mass effect 3 is the uk pricing of the collectors edition wich is a shocking 60 to 70 quid. I think part of the problem is that the game group seem to have grabbed exclusive uk distribution and are massively taking the piss with the prices due to the lack of competition.

To put it in contrast, the witcher 2 special edition and deus ex human revolution augmented edition both had similar physical and digital content and both could be had on pre-order for £27 on amazon. It's a real shame ea decided to allow game group to do this. I suspect if it had been on amazon, we'd have seen much better pricing and availiability. probably not as good as 27 quid but alot better than nearly 70.

4. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Last edited: 29 Feb 2012
  5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Not really that funny for the people who have preordered from Game.....

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm presuming that by 'them' you mean EA? How exactly has anything backfired on them?

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Why do you think? Many customers already up in arms at the DLC and now a good number of people will have to re-order from a different retailer, which if they don’t have accounts for will need to be freshly created.

At a minimum it's bad for perception; makes EA look incompetent, as it does game. Exclusivity was a bad idea and it has backfired on them, thankfully.

Be interesting to see now how the pricing stands once it's up on other retailers. Play.com have it for £59.99 or £69.99 for PC and console respectively so little change so far.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

DeckerdBR were you intending to add something to your post which you just quoted? Or were you just repeating yourself for some reason?

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think it looks bad for Game tbh, not EA. Though I agree, the CE being exclusive was a bad idea, but retail bonuses meh.

Shopto had it for £55

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

meh - an un-intended double post from Opera Mini on my Galaxy S2. It does odd things like that, I think in part because it forwards web pages to a conversion server to format for viewing on the phone. Corrected now :)

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I have to agree with loftie. I think it's going to make Game look bad rather than EA. All most people are going to care about is that Game have cancelled their preorder and that they now have to go somewhere else to re-order. Don't see it's really going to have much impact on EA tbh.

13. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Why not? It was EA who either brokered the deal or accepted it if Game brokered it. If EA had done their homework, they would have seen the **** state game group were in and have spread the risk by ensuring it was available in as many retailers as possible.

It's just lucky for them that it happened with 9 days to spare, if this had happened a little later it could have been worse for them. Although I still wonder if it will have an impact, I doubt it will equate to lost sales, in fact if anything having it available at more places is a good thing, which is the point I was making in the first place. Which makes you wonder why they didn't just do that in the first place???

If Shopto can sell it for £55 I wonder what Amazon will do.

Edit: I wonder EA can get it distributed to all the new retailers in-time for release or if this will create a day 1 shortage? Hence the potential impact.

14. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

I hope those who pre-ordered collectors edition with game can still pre-order else where, if there is a limited stock with CE like most of them are.

To have lost your pre-order which you were excited about only to have your order cancelled then try and pre-order from other retailers only to find that they are out of stock, my heart goes out to them and I hope the best for them.

This reminds me of Two Worlds 2 in the UK, I pre-ordered from game then they cancelled, then I pre-ordered from Amazon only for it to be on a waiting list way past launch date, the problem was down to a distributor in the UK for TW2, I ended up getting an import from a second hand game shop.

15. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I don't think it's going to have much of an impact on EA because I don't think most people think or care that far. All that matters to them is that they had a preorder with Game that has now been cancelled. They don't care about the background to why that's happened, only that it has. People are just going to preorder from somewhere else and get mad at Game for a) making them do that and b) possibly losing out on having the game on release day. EA won't even enter into that consideration.

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yep. The only stupid thing EA did was limit the CE to Game. But it's Game that messed up, it'll be Game on the email telling you, and it'll be Game that people will remember for cancelling your shiny Preorder.

On a different note, I've been told by Gamestop.ie that their pre-order includes the N7 Valkyrie Assault Rifle and N7 Defender Armour. Does anyone have any info on this? I never saw it on their site before I ordered, and I can't find it now either.

Edit : From the Bioware Social site, someone posted this

Game channel director Tom Devine wrote. "We will not stock products if the terms are not right for our business - a position we believe is critical to our long term health as a business - we have taken the very difficult decision to not stock EA's March releases, including Mass Effect 3."

I actually had a feeling if it was to do with something like this when I reread the bit about all EA future releases. If I'm not mistaken Game has thrown hissy fits about wanting earlier releases than Steam and threatening not to stock said games if they don't. As such

Dear Game,

F*** YOU.

That is all.

17. Bede

Bede Minimodder

EA messed it up. GAME has been working out credit lines with all the major publishers (ie the publishers give them games and then GAME pay them back after the sale) but EA, along with a few other publishers, wouldn't do it.

Exclusivity is ****ing **** though.

18. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

All I can say about GAME, is nice one... ****heads... Thank god I pre-ordered off Origin.

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

As far as I can tell, the DLC only comes into play (a) in multiplayer, (b) if you build your character around the Assault rifle and (c) if you care about being better than literally every other person on the multiplayer.

Everyone else can happily ignore the DLC and be no worse off, so rivers of tears can now cease.

20. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

I wonder if the 'right for our business' thing that Game director guy is referring to is the ability for them to sell preowned copies as I hear that is where a large chunk of the in store profits come from. EA have been spearheading the whole anti 2nd hand thing with project $10 (started with cerberus network on ME2 I think, or at least that was the first time I dealt with it).

Maybe with the current state of Game's business they are having to cut out these producers that they won't make as much profit from?