1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Advice - difference between P67 & Z68?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PurE GaminG, 29 Feb 2012.

1. PurE GaminG

PurE GaminG What's a Dremel?

hi everyone

just need to clarify what are the difference between the motherboards im currently building my first pc build. im buying the intel i525k cpu. socket 1155.

there are two version 1155 p67 and 1155 z68

i'm overclocking my i5 so which mombo is best and what are the difference in both mombo's

and wat does gen 3 stand for is that to do with pci- ex 16 3.0.

which board is the best for overclocking im going to use water cooling.

still researching which case to get. im thinking of getting the Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 Intel Z68 or the Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68

do u have suggestion other then the two i mentioned.

look forward to your reply's:thumb:

2. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

[​IMG]

P67 has pretty much been phased out as Z68 ended up being around the same price but having more features, and both will overclock the same as far as I know.

I would go Z68 as there is a greater choice of mobo's :)

3. PurE GaminG

PurE GaminG What's a Dremel?

cheers mikeyman.

im thinking of getting the asrock z68 extreame 7 gen3, iwht i5 25k it supports tri sli/crossfire but im not sure if its good overclocker board. is there any thing better then this cause its over my budget. my budget is £ 150.00

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

The main difference is that Z68 lets you use the integrated graphics in the processor. Both let you overclock if you buy a K series processor.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Yeah its PCIe 3.0 once a CPU is released that has the improved PCIe controller - Ivybridge.
    Difficult to predict whether we will see a tangible benefit within the Z68 life cycle (As in, a graphics card that requires a potential 16GB/s) if it doubles bandwidth across the spectrum, essentially making 2 x 8 lane into 2 x 16 for CF or SLI then that will be good.

P8Z68 and P67 before it are excellent for clocking. I haven't used an 1155 Asrock, the lesser warranty put me off buying

Last edited: 1 Mar 2012
  6. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

I thought 3rd generation was the release that solved the SATA performance degradation issue that occurred when Sandy Bridge was first out...

7. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

That was on the P67 chipset. Never happened with Z68.

8. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Don't overlook the usefulness of being able to use the integrated graphics at the same time as an external card. If like me you have an nVidia card, if you drive more than one display from it, it keeps the clocks high all the time and thus you get more power use/heat/fan noise.

You can get around this if you want to game on one monitor whilst having some info open on another, by running the second monitor from the integrated graphics instead. This is only possible with Z68 though, not with the P67.