1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

The nook looks pretty good in there. That is, in my opinion at least, a great idea.

2. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

Kevlar and some other twill weave fabrics of a synthetic fiber will slip a lot... and so you did the right thing by using tape to hold the seam edges...

in the garment factories, what we do when laying out very flimsy fabric is to use strips of wood that has some needles in them and use them along the fabric edge to hold them in place while laying out the marker (rolling out full width of fabric)

i only recommend this, although very very late, because they will help you in making sure that your fabric grain, in case of your kevlar, the diagonal twill lines, remain straight.

also, if you have a craft/fabric shop nearby, you can look into fusable interlining... they can be iron onto your kevlar in the back side to offer more rigidity and works to prevent slippage.

keep in mind that by using fusable interlining, the fabric will become stiffer and its capability to form to odd shapes will decrease,
    straight linear folds will be fine, but anything more than that may be tough.

i recommend you test on swatches prior to committing to bulk tho...

again, my apologies for the late commentary but, thought it'd help in future.:D

3. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

What are theese called ?
    I need the exact name because they will be well-needed in my project!

Please send me a PM so that i can have it saved :)

4. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Thanks! It's really been perfect in every day usage. Better than any head unit I've ever used.

Thanks for the input! That's great information. :thumb:

I'll respond here for everyone, and PM you as well. I got these from Mouser.com. Below is the page. They are the through hole contacts, so you just need to pick how many connections you need.

http://www.mouser.com/Power/Battery-Holders-Snaps-Contacts/_/N-5gbj/

5. motorsportcfd

motorsportcfd What's a Dremel?

I've been following this build as fellow CF case builder. Outstanding work. I cant wait to see more of your work!

6. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

So how are you coming on the case? I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting with anticipation to see how this is going to continue.

7. dbradford32

dbradford32 What's a Dremel?

I know it's been a long time since you probably even worked on this, but are you going to finish it? Your last entry was in like August of 2010?!

8. craigbru

Thanks man! CF is a wonderful material to work with if you can get over the intimidation factor.

I'll certainly finish this case. I've invested too much time and money in to the project to abandon it. I've been epically sidetracked for some time now. Right now I'm putting a huge push on changes over at Losias.net. We're making plans to become the go-to site for all things SFF related. confusis is a huge part of that. I've also been working with editor22 on the Draken prototype. ;) So, while this mod hasn't been getting much love for a while, it's most definitely not abandoned.

9. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Dang it dbradford32.. I was hoping for an update on this and you bumped this shamelessly!:waah: :waah: C'mon update this thread please?? oops I just bumped this, did I? :wallbash::wallbash:

10. craigbru

Lol, and the cycle begins... :D Now we just need someone to bump the Prometheus thread. :hehe:

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ Or the Darkened one for that matter...

12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

You going to finish this before your kids graduate high school??

13. craigbru

Oh hell, look what you did man! Considering I have a junior, I may not get it done before she graduates. I might make the second one though! Lol. Okay, so this project has been idle, but I've still been busy. A year ago I had an Android tablet install make it on Hack-a-day, and I've still been modding...

This is MPD-01.

[​IMG]

Oh, where is the worklog you say? It's coming, but I've been sidetracked again. It all started with making some LED lighted cupholders for my Grand Cherokee. Turns out there is an untapped market there beyond my wildest imagination. So, I'll be making some of these guys for fellow Jeep owners. I've not forgotten about OSIDIAS, and it'll still get some love. :D

[​IMG]

14. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Glad to read that the project isn't dead. The forum is looking forward to seeing the progress on this thing. The cup holders look awesome. Have you called jeep and tried to sell the idea to them?

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Damn Craig those cup holder look awesome! as does MPD01 of course :D

16. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Hey, how'd that all cnc'd plastic mini-itx (I think) case you were working on come along?

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Barry...

18. craigbru

Thanks! Yeah, not dead, just perpetually delayed. I guess the new Grand Cherokee's already have something similar. I had no idea, so I'll just have to work on retrofitting older ones. :D

Thanks Nate! Believe it or not, I opened a previously untapped market with those things. I'm putting to use one of my previously purchased domains and I'm going into business. Lol. I've got no idea what kind of sustainability is there, but there is a lot of initial demand. I'll have a variety of color combinations of course. :thumb:

Um, ask Nate. I've not worked on it for a while, but he was the last to cut out a prototype for me. It looked pretty sexy (of course I'm biased). I'll explore my options there as soon as I can.

Yeah, Barry did it. :lol:

19. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

Nice to see that you are still around ! I really want to see more of that case, it looks really awesome :rock:

20. shah

shah Minimodder

I totally forgot about this :) Craig welcome back :D

We didn't wait this long for just one picture....:eyebrow: