1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Raspberry Pi goes on sale - briefly

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 29 Feb 2012.

1. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

You're quite an ass, and if you'd had something like this as a kid such as the Amiga/BBC Micro you might actually be interested. As it turns out, you're probably either too young to remember those platforms, or too old to have been at school when they were actually used to teach kids programming; or unfortunate enough to go to a school where they didn't really have computers and IT, if taught, was done on a white/blackboard.

I, personally am looking forward to getting one of these. I plan on running, one or more websites off of one or more of these from home. But then I work for a web development house as a systems admin that covers Windows servers and PCs as well as Linux servers.

I tinker because that's what school got me to do when I was younger; it developed my inquisitive streak towards IT.

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Stream video and music from NAS? for 35quid? Win!

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

You don't think a hardware platform affordable enough for it to be "one per child" in the class room and achievable for most parents to pick up for their interested kids combined with a framework of software, documentation and training that is specifically aimed at teaching kids to code is the way to go?

There's been purely software based methods before, but this is more hands on. I say it's a pretty good idea worth pursuing and for the cost... bargain!

But why don't you enlighten us with the solution you've made available to the public? You do have a better option you've developed yourself right?

4. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

LISTEN TO PHIL!

I know Phil is a troll but maybe he is right. you know what exactly is this tiny piece of cheap hardware going to do? like most people on the planet will need something way more powerful than this, after all most people use really demanding programs like a web browser or word processor and stream movies over the internet. These people will be better off going to PC World and buying a proper computer because its not like everyone has an LCD with HDMI socket and even if they did why would they want something that could save them up front costs of buying a PC and constant saving on energy. Everyone has loads of money. Seriously people listen to Phil, if they even ever made these they would just end up on a shelf gathering dust. NO ONE would buy one.

5. Siskodata

Siskodata What's a Dremel?

steveo_mcg likes this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Before people go too wild about media playback capability, remember that the main processor is only 700MHz and it's only h.264 video at the moment that will have hardware accelerated playback. It's still damned impressive, but standard-def and other codecs may not fare too well; we'll have to wait and see how well RaspBMC is optimised/matures.

Because the foundation and it's many supporters are working their backsides off to get the auctions pulled. No one can sell one on ebay, because no one actually has one in their hands yet.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I don't believe the eBay rules prohibit selling goods that are on order, however.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'll just leave this here:

BLC is right. By the end of this year there will be so much cool homegrown software for it, that 5-year olds can build code on it with virtual Lego blocks representing operands and variables. There will be a host of snap-on modules. It will be just like the Arduino, and then some.

Phil, son, I is disappoint. You are undoubtedly much more knowledgable on computer programming than I am, but your vision-fu is weak.

10. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

+1

I think OpenBSD will also run on this im sure it supports ARM. Cant wait to have a fiddle with one. And yes it is trivial in some ways, but i don't give a damn its what i like doing!

11. Risky

Risky Modder

It would be great if some kids learned to write stuff for this device and it would be great if they also played around with Visual Studio & SQL Server Express on a PC. I can't see why anyone would want to rubbish either option.

12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Get normal people talking about teaching kids to code? Maybe even get the product featured a few times on the front page of BBC News? Getting the word out that the UK used to be #1 when it came to "teaching kids to code" , and all it takes is a bit of forward thinking and balls to get people focussed.

You ever seen this happen with something like Scratch or Alice?

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The only trouble with using Microsoft software is that it's quite expensive; although educational institutions get a big discount, it's still a big extra cost - plus there's the indirect cost of ensuring that your licenses are always up to date. Part of the point of using open source software is that the licensing is so much easier and in many cases there's no cost at all. I'm not rubbishing Visual Studio or SQL Server because it is very useful, espcially in the workplace - I write quite a bit of VB and now SQL at work, but wouldn't have any need for Python; I even use Visual Studio at home for my own use. But the aim I think is more fundamental than teaching someone a specific language.

Once you wrap your head round programming concepts - variables, functions, algorithms, abstraction, etc, etc - you can apply that knowledge to almost any language. That's where the foundation believes that the problem lies: fewer kids are introduced to even the very basic concepts of writing code. Many of the founding members are also professors/staff at Cambridge University, and they have seen students apply to Computer Science degrees that have never even seen any code before.

Before I get flamed to death, I'm not trying to start a "My programming language/operating system is better than yours" argument. Each language - as well as OS - has its advantages and disadvantages, and some are better suited to particular tasks than others are. I wouldn't run Linux if I want to play Skyrim, but I wouldn't run Windows on a lightweight machine; similarly I wouldn't write MI systems in work in prolog.

14. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Mine arrived in the post this morning. I heated in the Microwave, covered it in cream and took a bite. Didnt taste very nice. Wont be doing any more food shopping at RS.

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Fool! Its oven bake only!

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, a reflow oven, maybe!

17. Risky

Risky Modder

I can't see where MS are changing schools to use VS Express when it's free to the rest of us. Actually as far as I can see with DreamSpark they can get VS Pro and a load of other stuff for free.

18. Alhard

Alhard What's a Dremel?

I don't understand how so many people can be so negative about this. Can it really do any harm? It will give children the opportunity to make maths skills applicable at their are to more than just 'Do I have enough for those sweets?'
    This may fail but the fact is a charitable organisation has made a step forward which other institutions can learn from. What we might see other subjects getting similar fantastically priced teaching tools thanks to the success of the Pi.

Anyone who is arrogant enough to believe it's a bad idea when it hasn't been tried since a true availability of cheap computing, I invite you to draw up curriculum that will teach kids useful skills whilst keeping them engaged.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

HAHA, reflow oven! ISWYDT :hehe:

On another note; You got one kosch?! Have you got it running yet? Any first impressions?

20. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

The rest of the open source community has failed more or less completely to create software that is usable by anyone other than nerds and techy types. I don't see why releasing a small cheap computer will create a situation where open source software is suddenly suitable for "mum, dad & schools".

Tags: Add Tags