1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals New printer - Epson Stylus SX445W?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TraumaticHug, 1 Mar 2012.

1. TraumaticHug

TraumaticHug What's a Dremel?

With around £50 to spend, I am looking for a good all-rounder that isn't too expensive to run and isn't massive.
    I know nothing about printers, but I've been tempted by the Epson Stylus SX445W.

I was wondering if any of you use this and how you find it?

Or if you can recommend something better? I was looking at the Canon PIXMA printers, but seemingly the black ink is quite expensive.

2. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

3. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Exactly. Ink prices end up being way more important.

I have my eye on the Lexmark Pro905 - it has $5 black ink cartridges that print 500 pages or XL ones for $7.50 (1200 pages). It might be out of your price range, it retails for $299 but I have seen it on sale for $100. If I see it at that price again I will probably snatch it up.

TraumaticHug likes this.
  4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Didn't Kodak just go into bankruptcy? I personally wouldn't buy their printers astheir ink prices have steadily gone up, it's not exactly dirt cheap.

The Epson you mentioned is very good, cheap for compatible cartridges as well. Under a tenner a set so cheaper than Kodak.

5. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Epson P50 it has a cd printing. I have it i buy 4 sets of inks from ebay for £17.99free p&p never had a problem with is worth the extra cash as will save on cost of ink's

TraumaticHug likes this.
  6. noizdaemon666

But it's 100% over the OP's budget coming in at £100 or more. Plus, it is pretty big given it is only a printer, no scanning or anything. And it is pretty old now.

In my opinion, get one of these. We sell loads where I work and have never had an issue. We sell compatibles for £7.80 a set and they're probably even cheaper online. Oh and it tends to have more ink in the cartridges than compatible epson ones do, so saving money in the long run :)

TraumaticHug likes this.
  7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I assume you are looking for an all-in-one?

Canon Pixma MG5150 for £63.67 (http://www.dabs.com/products/canon-...--copier---scanner---74HJ.html?q=pixma&src=16). Fantastic printers, I bought two last year (one for mother-in-law, one for a friend). I still have my Pixma 610 but will have to replace it soon as it is getting a bit broken after 8 years.

The MG5150 doesn't have wireless/LAN conenctivity, I don't know if that is a deal breaker for you. The MG6150 model does but that costs more although PC World have it on special right now for £79.97 (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/canon...-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=mrpxxqx&istBid=t).

The four smaller inks (CYM & photo black) cost around £8-£9 each with the larger black (text) costing around £11-£12. Amazon or Ebay is a good place to get genuine ink that is way cheaper than any other retailer. I haven't tried "compatible" inks in them so I can't comment on the quality of them - I haven't had good expeience with other printers and "compatible" inks.

The inks last a long time in the Pixma, unlike any Epson inks I have used. Great quality kit.

TraumaticHug likes this.
  8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Bah, I just got a colour laser instead.
    Admittedly, I never print photos at home, but for £70 for the non-wireless model of the Samsung CLP-325(went for the wireless myself) it's a great deal.

Toner lasts a lot longer than ink and is cheaper to replace, by the time the expensive parts of the printer wear out it's already paid for itself.

9. TraumaticHug

TraumaticHug What's a Dremel?

So many replies.. you guys are awesome!

After reading this I found the Kodak Hero 5.1 and fell in forbidden love.. seems pretty kick-ass with good quality printing and scanning and, while a little over my budget, reviews suggested that a Kodak would save me money over the long run with price-per-page being half that of most other printers.

And then I read about this, which scared me off some. Not much use having a printer if I can't source any ink. I can't find much info beyond the announcement in January though :\ Anyone know more about this?

You find the inks last okay? I'd been looking at the Canon PIXMA MG5150 for a while, especially as it uses individual colour cartridges. But I ended up discarding it and I can't remember why. Are you recommending it or HIGHLY recommending? :p

I hadn't thought about an all-in-one until I saw that the prices weren't too bad and, more importantly, size has been greatly reduced. I'm not too bothered about wireless as until i started looking I didn't even know you could get wireless printers. Though tbh I am surprised that wireless is so prevalent but ethernet is not.

My brother was saying the same thing, and I've had experience with a lot of different laser printers through work. Laser printers scare me though, ever since I found out how much they ramp up the power by inside. My flat has a lot of wood :p

I'd honestly not even thought about Brother. Is it really that good? I can't find a lot of info on it but what I can find seems to suggest it is quite awesome. Loving the huge, chip-less cartridges. Is the size of the printer itself okay? Hard to judge from the pictures.

EDIT:
    added some awesome.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2012
  10. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't worry about bankrupcy, it's the photography side of the business that's not profitable, if they did go under the printer side would almost certainly be bought and spun off as a seperate company (which has been discussed before)

Also the prices for inks havn't gone up since they were first introduced way back when i worked at currys? Still the same price.

TraumaticHug likes this.
  11. noizdaemon666

Yes, it is pretty awesome lol We sold one to a local (professional) photographer and while he obviously doesn't use it for all the expensive prints he bangs out, hedoes use it a lot and has said he's very happy with it. It's not bigger than any other all in one to be honest, possibly a little deeper as it's a bottom fed printer rather than a top feed. I can measure it at work if that's any help?

I want one myself, though funds haven't been available up to press :( Like I said compatible inks are really cheap for it, cheaper than Kodak as well. Plus, we've had a fair few people come in and say their Kodak's broken, but that may just be down to Castleford people being thick lol

Oh and the Kodak ink prices comment. This was purely based on what customers and a couple of colleagues have said, it could be incorrect.

12. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I actually bought an Epson SX445W a few weeks ago after my printer died and I needed one in a rush...

Its not bad.

I haven't printed any photos or anything but my girlfriend printed off a few pretty hefty PowerPoint projects (with lots of images) and print quality seems ok but I was blown away or anything, but it isn't exactly expensive.

Inks are however. I can't recall how many pages she printed but we did get through the inks that came with it, which would probably work out pretty costly.

Got some cheap ones from StinkyInk and they are working perfectly - got like 2 whole sets for £20 or something.

Other then that, it was really easy to set up on our wireless and the scanner seems reasonable (but a bit slow). It is a bit more 'plasticky' then I would have liked and is a bit bulkier then it looks in pictures, but it is a budget printer and for the price, you can't go wrong.

TraumaticHug likes this.
  13. Torchy85

Torchy85 What's a Dremel?

Lgs; As far as I know the ink cartridges that are supplied with new printer are lower capacity than the normal replacement ones ie. the FOX logo'd ones or the 'high' capacity ones APPLE logo.It seems there only enough in original cartridges to check printer set-up & run off a few pages. Maybe this is so Epson can make their real money on the replacement cartridges:eyebrow: An example is the large capacity 4 ink pack that costs almost as much as the printer!
    Don't know for sure if other makes are similar regarding original supplied ink capacity but suspect that at least one or two makers follow Epson's line:-(