1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Do it! I'm totally intrigued. I'd think about sending a copy of that off to your local police station tbh, even if they can't do anything with it, it's on file. I wouldn't worry too much about the indicated speeds, they'd need you to be going a fair bit faster before thinking about trying to find proof. :)

2. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Ehhhh, I think I'm going to sleep on it. I've actually just made the video, and blurred the entire screen out enough to blank the speedo but retain enough clarity for the events onscreen...

Exactly the same bike apart from the plastics.

The F:

[​IMG]

The S:

[​IMG]

Oh, and the F comes with ABS as standard unlike the S and the N.

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

One has to wonder what he was trying to achieve...

What if you had held your ground and he hit you and the lorry? That's pretty much prison time without a doubt....?

Glad you're okay dude.

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

In hindsight, overtaking both him and the lorry after he'd clearly shown what a nutcase he was was a stupid idea.

I have that nightmare scenario running through my head, and it's a little scary at how badly it could have gone for me when I could have just left it and let him have his inevitable accident without me being involved.

The video's staying on my hard drive, though if/when I go for a ride with you julian I'll be sure to put a copy of the whole thing on my phone :thumb:

5. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Well good news! After a nice chat to the dealership yesterday, I managed to get two Pilot Road 2's fitted for £180!! Got the rear free! Well stoked. Just got to scrub them in and I'll be rocking! Up for a ride soon Julian & others?

Only downside is the device that gives the speedo readout disintegrated when they took the wheels off, so I currently don't get a speedo readout but they're going to replace that for free too!

I can definitely recommend the dealership here in Chichester!

6. julianmartin

Nice one!

Yeah certainly keen for a ride soon.

7. RTT

RTT #parp

Pilot Power 2CTs are currently my tyre of choice. Have also had Pirelli Diablo Corsa IIIs, Rosso IIs and Dunlop Qualifier IIs.

None of them ever let me down :thumb:

8. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Julian and I are planning a ride on Sunday afternoon if any of you guys who are near Chichester/Petersfield fancy joining us? Not sure where we'll go yet (I still don't really know the roads around here) but it'd be good to have a few more of us! :)

9. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Can't do this Sunday sadly, next Sunday's a possible though.

Do you recommend any decent bike dealers 'round here, I've got about 200 miles 'til my next service is due.

10. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I use CMW here in Chichester (www.cmwmotorcycles.com) Since buying the bike they've given the engine two free checks due to stalling and dirty spark plugs, both with re-mapping each time and just now when I bought a pair of PR2's I got the rear free as the one one it was really low when I bought it. They're a bit expensive but the service makes up for it.

Not to say that you'll get free tyres, but their service has been excellent for me so far. :)

11. julianmartin

I service my bike myself - so easy....only problem is the stamps in the service book but i just keep receipts of the filters and my own service sheet saying when i did what anyway.

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Without seeing the video, surely if you've gone to overtake both the car and the lorry because well, the lorry is slow, and he's happy as Larry being sat behind it? Put it up. Hopefully he'll see it and realise what a ***** he was?

13. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Well he was going to overtake too, but I seized opportunity to do so, whilst he waited a good few seconds so I went for it.

Frankly, I should have waited and pottered past the lorry in my own time, but I was angry as hell. The red mist had descended and it was a silly thing to do.

I can't in good conscience upload it, it doesn't paint me in a good light, though not quite as bad as him.

14. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Had fun this afternoon enjoying the torque in 3rd gear! Had a huge grin on my face!

In other news, I'm having problems with my gears getting stuck in 'no-mans land' and not wanting to shift either way until I engage the clutch fully, at risk of stalling in some instances. It's been fine up until the last few days where it's started to do it more frequently. Is it a serious problem or just me shifting badly? :)

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Some boxes really need a good, firm, positive shift, so make sure you're not fannying around with it :D My KTM 950 SM needed a right good stamp... my Triumph needed only a nudge to click through the box. They do differ.

If you are being quite firm with it and it's still not playing ball, then there's all manner of reasons for it - from simple ones (link rod loose) to obscure ones (oil too thin) to downright annoying ones (****ed gearbox) or it could be temporary and never come back (i am looking at you, KTM!)

How's your chain tension? That's a common one.

SV650s are downright reliable things though so if something is wrong, it's more likely to be something simple :thumb:

Last edited: 3 Mar 2012
  16. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

If the clutch isn't fully in it could be as simple as you are rolling off the throttle too much/not enough and the gears aren't becoming unloaded.

Also FYI use the clutch between 1st and 2nd unless you're on a race bike - hitting neutral can damaged the gearbox at higher RPMs.

17. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

For your info, it appears that the linkage was just mucky and gummed up. Got it cleaned and it's back to its usual clunk'y self. Shifts perfectly now so nothing major. No need to worry about damaging the gearbox either, as I always clutch in on every shift.

Ps. I really do love 3rd gear!

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Had my first accident on monday, and it was my fault, contrary to stereotype! I reversed the cliché by cutting across a car that I didn't see because I was rushing. Went into the front bumper but he'd nearly stopped, thankfully, so I got knocked off without any real injury at all.

So I'm an idiot - or at least, I was briefly. I was frustrated and running late, a guaranteed combination for hilarity to ensue. I'm normally very careful - first incident in over 4 years - which just goes to show, it only takes one lapse. Valuable learning experience though, and worth the costs incurred for that alone in my mind.

Now, however, my front wheel is wobbling, which is disturbing from both safety and financial perspectives. It's either the wheel, in which case I just replace it (not too costly) or just the axle (not very costly at all) or the forks/frame are bent and need replacing (extortionate and hardly worth doing). Still riding it in the meantime, because if I don't I can't work, and if I can't work I can't afford anything else - the other guy's repairs, my repairs, everything else. But the wobble is really alarming - it's only slight, and the bike still holds a straight line, but I sure as hell don't dare take a corner at any severe angle now.

Feedback needed: is it plausible that there's severely compromising damage such as a crack, shear or weakening, of the kind that might suddenly break in transit leaving me without a front wheel? I've been riding on the assumption that, stability aside, the structural integrity of the bike hasn't been compromised. No real damage is visible, and the front brake still works.

19. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Ouch! Hope you're all OK physically and the bike gets sorted soon enough. I'm not really mechanical enough to offer advice yet I'm afraid. :)

It's funny though, as from following this thread for a while, it seems that all the accidents/idiot car driver incidences all come at once. I had a lady on the way home just now who decided it'd be sensible to sit on my tyre in a 60 limit and then overtake me going into a 40 limit with a blind crossroad junction just ahead... :miffed:

20. julianmartin

Could be that the wheel is just out of balance now?

How fast were you going? Was it tyre on bumper only? If you have a centrestand, put the bike up, spin the wheel and put something at a fixed point next to the rim as it spins, if the distance varies, you know the wheel is warped or something. Would be quite a collision to warp a wheel though, IMO. I reckon it probably just needs balancing.