1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Raspberry Pi goes on sale - briefly

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 29 Feb 2012.

1. Risky

Risky Modder

Neither do I but what has this got to do with anything? the point of the devise was something where some kids will learn to do some low-level programming.

2. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Oi Troll!

Open source is perfectly suitable for 'mum,dad & schools' as they only use web browsers and word processors and not much else. Oh and open source OS's have these too, they arent windows exclusives. You can't see the point of anything tho can you troll, but everyone buying these things seem to see something. for the amount of demand i'd say there are numerous possibilities to use these.

Right, now i'll look after your bridge because i know you get antsy about goats and you can go have a play with a recent linux distro, you know so you'll be a bit more educated rather than spouting out the same troll tripe.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

But the machine you're going to need to run that will cost more than $35 (+shipping/VAT/tax) and even with a discount for educational institutions, I doubt the license cost per copy of Windows would be that low.

Like I said, I'm not trying to turn this into an OS/programming language war. What's important is getting kids/young people interested and being able to do it at a low cost.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sure, kid.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Dear god, don't feed it!!!

LordPyrinc likes this.
  6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Oh come on... it's not the "only" thing wrong with it1

7. Risky

Risky Modder

Sure but there is plenty of PC hardware around in schools. This is not going to change that.

This is a new direction and it's a great direction too, but it does not mean that we should encorage learning at high level as well as low level.

8. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

this discussion is hilarious lol

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

+1

I've lost track of how many times posts/replies have made me laugh.

As for the actual subject of the article, I'm considering purchasing one whenever they get the supply issues straightened out. The potential uses of it for such a low price point are awesome. Low power consumption and size are also huge pluses in my opinion.

10. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I received an email allowing me to pre-order over at http://uk.farnell.com; looking forward to receiving one of these bad boys, it's been a long wait.

11. nuc13ar

nuc13ar What's a Dremel?

kudos to the people who created it. maybe we can get some of those at a retailer over here. i applaud the noble sentiments of the people who created this device.

12. si93

si93 What's a Dremel?

I've preordered at Farnell and got a estimated delivery date for the 24th April. Does anyone know whether this eta is a variable date dependant on when you placed your pre order or just a date for all pre orders?

13. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

Not arguing on Phils side here, as I do see the point for the Pi, but shirley anyone who uses a pc purely for surfing the net, streaming video etc; isn't going to have the slightest interest in a barebones board like this.

Currently its a geek toy, which will lead to something more main stream, as per the foundations own statement.

14. Risky

Risky Modder

I also preordered there on Saturday and the shipping date has just moved to May.

15. GravitySmacked

Mine has also moved to May, oh well patience is a virtue and all that..

16. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Enjoying this thread

I have 2 young step brothers, one is aged 8 and he's really into science and technology, he's always building stuff with lego, mechanco and has his own tool kit for kids.

He's really good with general computer stuff, as he grows up and has access to a cheap powerful computer like that, he could creat things we can't even think off.

Thats the idea, a new generation making original ideas!

I know when website making was not something you could do easily, I was up all night playing with code and scripts, pretty sure they'll be tons of teens doing the same with these.

17. GravitySmacked

Update on the pushed back orders:

Has your March/April order just been pushed back to May? Read this!

We’ve had a lot of people mail us and tweet about this today. If you were expecting a March/April delivery and got an email from Element14/Premier Farnell this morning saying delivery had been pushed back, please don’t despair: it appears to be a mistake. We’ve contacted Farnell about it and they’ve come back to say they’ve added this to their Raspberry Pi FAQ:

Update on the pushed back orders:

Q: I got an email from Farnell element14 stating that my delivery date for the Raspberry Pi I ordered is now into May or June, is this correct?

A: Sorry! We updated the data in our system so that new customers placing their pre-order would be advised of the delivery date at the end of May or beginning of June. If you originally had an estimated delivery date in March or April, your delivery estimate is still as per the original communication.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Tags: Add Tags