1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

High, with a little AA thrown in, nothing too taxing at all.

an example would be when I'm running, I kind of slide backwards every few paces. Ping times are fine as well.

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I've experienced the same thing, never figured out what is was. Ping just fine, housemate playing with me getting similar ping and doing just fine, settings on medium with 2xAA on a 5870 so fairly simple to run. I'll be sprinting along and keep on pausing or stepping back every few seconds, to the point where I noticably fall behind others on long runs. It's hard to explain, but definitely different than a graphic stutter.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Sounds like some servers I've been on, definitely server side problem that as whenever I've experience it several others are mentioning the same problem (even with low ping).

Had my own problems today, although since port forwarding it has been pretty much constantly 100%.

Out of the blue today a round disconnects (some ribbons definitely not added as I'd counted them before hand - arrggghhh). After that when I tried to join several servers were stuck on loading and then just disconnected.

Went on and on, fraking got right on my tit end, even after quitting out and back in and resorting to a bf3 repair.

4. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

i have a question.

apart from the magnun which is obviously more powerful, is there any major differences between the basic handguns. like the g18, g17, mp443 etc etc

like, is there a stronger one or are they all kind of the same.

5. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

i also have another question. it is really a basic maths question but im too tired to figure it out, and seeing as it is relevant to battlefield il ask it here.

my headshot to kill ratio on bf3 stats, i am ranked 260'th

http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/Pr0_Snipe

a week or so ago, i was ranked 249th. now i have DEFINITELY got at least 75% of my kills from headshots the past week, yet my rank has gone down.

now. am i right in thinking, that this will only get worse. it is impossible for it to get better. because even if i got a headshot, that will still be one kill and one headshot, so it will stay the same score as it was before i got the kill.

as far as i can tell, my score will only go down when i kill people without headshotting them.

can anyone just confirm this.

if i am right, then WAT. brb not playing to preserve my score :)

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

For the most part the guns are the same it's just rate of fire. G18 is a semi auto pistol which has poor accuracy but thats due to it's rof.

I quite like the m9, good stopping power if you get enough hits on target.

7. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

Ah ok. And do surpressors decrease accuracy/power?

8. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

If you currently are at 75% HK (headshot to kills) and from now on you headshot 100% of the time, eventually that percentage will rise depending on the number of future kills. So if you had 250 out of 500 kills being headshots, and then you headshotted for the next 500 kills, you'd go from a 50% HS to kill percentage to a 75% rate. It will rise, as long as your HS kills outnumber your bodyshot kills over time.

9. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Sounds like packet loss; you running ethernet or wifi?

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I'm using Homeplugs, which could actually be part of the problem. But having said that, no other online game lags like this.

11. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

@J4MI3

Pistols are all mostly the same except for the revolvers, g18, and 93R. The revolvers (MP412 and .44) trade low rate of fire and low clip size for high damage. I believe the .44 will kill in 2 body shots or 1 headshot. The revolvers also reload very slowly. The g18 is a fully automatic pistol which is great for close range but terrible once you start trying to hit something far away. You can switch the mode to single shot, but since the pistol can fire full auto single shots don't do very much damage. The 93R fires quick 3 shot bursts. The recoil is kinda hard to get used to, but otherwise it competes around the same level as the g18.

The G17C, M9, and MP443 are all pretty similar. They all have over 15 shots to a clip, they all fire at the same rate, and they all do the same amount of damage.

The M1911 (my favorite) is kinda unique. It's only got 9 shots to a clip, but it does more damage than the other handguns (excluding the revolvers). It also fires a little slower than the other handguns, but reloads much faster than the revolvers.

Also note that the .44 is the only handgun that comes with a scope once you unlock it.

Then addressing your math question, it's just as nchhabs says. You'll never attain perfect 1:1 headshot to kill ratio ever again after getting one body shot kill, but if your ratio is lower than your HS:Kill ratio for a game it will increase. The rate of increase slows down as you get more kills and you reach a 1:1 ratio.

@pete

Roll with it man :p. I don't like iron sights on most guns, but that's all you get until you use the gun a bit. Unless you're fairly exceptional, I wouldn't expect you to be running a 1.0 kdr when you first start (although I don't expect you to do a 0.01 kdr either...). Work on burst fire control or recoil control (if you know how to do that from CS) and you'll at least get kills with the thing. If you want to try, you can do enough CO-OP to unlock some other guns without affecting your online stats. However, CO-OP isn't going to teach you how to play multiplayer.

12. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Aye, i've been playin' a bit. Got a better sniper. SV98 or something. Much nicer to use.

I tried doing co-op but it doesn't work. It sits on loading then just crashes out. :(

13. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

You sure?? The m9 AND MP443 seem more powerful.

14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Power, yeah, not sure about the accuracy part.

15. Achilleas.k

Achilleas.k Minimodder

I think suppressors are supposed to increase accuracy due to the longer barrel, as a general rule of thumb.

16. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I'm using Homeplugs with no issues at all. Only time I lag is when Virgin throttle me :(

17. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Indeed, they increase vertical muzzle recoil slightly (10% afaik) but decrease range and stopping power.

18. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I'm with Virgin as well, wonder if it's something they're doing?

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I'm on the cheapest package they do, nothing I can do about it as it's my parents internet. They throttle those on lowest package if you have high bandwidth usage.

i.e me downloading from Origin or Steam during the day. And then throttle during peak times.

20. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

suppressors don't affect damage. they only affect bullet speed/drop and recoil (both are lowered).