1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

:nono:

:D

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Because he is a master modder. Beyond all rationality, there are things we must do for ourselves.
    Many of us have suffered for The Craft. I bow here.

john

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Lack of free time that's what CNC is for but even that requires a good bit of time pouring into the design if you want it spot on. :)

I still think the Attila way is the best way for DIY, he doesn't really say how long parts take but I'd guess they could be done quicker with being able to put plenty of back into it to cut faster, I'm just trying to do it without the need for filing so takes much longer with being highly accurate so a nice challenge for myself & the new scroll saw. :)

Beer, junk food gaming pig out session after this alu cutting tour de effort. :D Cheers jokkos. :)

:D It's a heck of a grind but the time limit I set for myself is helping to prevent me from slacking, thanks Martininho. :)

:hehe: Cheers kidmod :)

Maybe in the future when I can't be bothered with this kind of effort, :D I have seen what some DIY CNC machines can do & is pretty damn good but no way could I afford even a DIY CNC without saving up for quite some time. :)

Not really crazy crazy but a little abnormal in my persistance & belief in being able to do it myself & a dab of stupid pride in doing it myself instead of off loading parts of the project, oh & having loads of free time. :D

That as well :D thanks mate. :thumb: The sanding method works very nicely, did further tests & it rocks. :D

I do :D

:D I like modding in all it's forms especially when CNC is done like how you've done & Angel OD & others, if using advanced machines it's effing great to see them be used so creatively. :rock:

Not sure if I am yet, :blush::D have loads of things to master before that but thanks a lot John appreciated mate & wooooo hooooooooo your back online & in awesome spirits as usual. :):rock:

Wowzers 8 days left to get all the aluminium cut ready for further stages, this is 1 ultra tight challenge. :lol:

Update as promised although not as progressed as I hoped for. I feel a slap incoming on the 10th if I don't dig deeper. :D

Trust me I'm very aware I bit off a little bit more than I can chew with ease at the time limit I set for myself but I'm still grinding through the damn thing XD, I know that once I get past these 3mm high volume cut out pieces the rest will be nice & easy (in comparison), just these gamer sides I absolutely underestimated the effort they would take, I did consider making it less cut outs but left it & now I really know how hard I made things for myself. :)

Here is where the first side panel is at, it seems to take a day per row but with each cut out taking a while I found myself moaning quite a bit in a state of bewilderment instead of just getting on with it so that's the key to getting heaps more done (shut up, stop thinking & mod not walking away for a quick break that turns into a couple of hours :lol:). :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol: Had to rotate the picture upside down to show correct orientation. :p
    [​IMG]

I'll be extremely glad I chose to work through the most endurance pushing bits first but at this moment it's flipping tough going & a true test of patience to get through. :lol:

The 10th sure was too tight of a deadline, simples, but a deadline is a deadline or it's a fail deadline, looks like 5 more days or less if I don't muck about on these gamer sides, then a day each for the front & back & htpc back which makes 8 days leaving no room for the rest of the 3mm easy panels & 2mm & 1mm, only way I can do it all in the deadline is if I wake up each morning & go straight at it & only pause for food & light chores not slacking off 1 bit until it's done, I feel it is doable & I shouldn't burn out neither & I'm not rushing it, just dedicated. :thumb:

4. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

This is turning out really cool. To be honest I really didn't like the way the lines on the window looked when they were drawn and didn't want to say anything at the risk of offending but they look drastically more awesome as cutouts.

5. peteski

peteski long live the pc

coming along nicely Waynio keep up the good work mate :rock: :rock: :rock:

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

This is EXACTLY what the waterjet was invented for. ONLY this! :)

I still can't get my head around the amount of hours it takes to do this... Just the amount of times you have to take of and put back the blade in the saw... :lol:

7. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

OMG, all i can say is your crazy! (but in a nice lovely way).

Thats some great cutting, really wasnt expecting you to cut all those out by hand, keeps you busy though, saves being bored, i dont get an awful lot of time, so i prob wouldnt of been quite so dedicated.

Doesent stop the work from being brill though.

To tell the truth i must admit i wasnt sure youd pull it off, but its realy coming together.

Its also not a good idea to slap yourself in the face, or like me drop resevoir on my head (another story).

The Funky

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks mate :) I can't believe how long these panels take though. :lol:

Thanks peteski :)

This is 1 time I admit I'd have cheerfully given advanced machinists the panels to cut if I knew they would take this much effort :lol: if it was thinner material it would be a quick job or even if I was able to make big enough holes for band saw blade access would have made it a lot quicker to do but the bonus of knowing I did it myself & it kept the budget much lower is nice. :)

Cheers Pablo, I really doubt I can meet my silly deadline without rushing & working myself into the ground so I'm dropping the deadline ;) but I'll just keep progressing each day, already slapped myself (honest :lol:). :)

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The 10th was an insane deadline to try & meet & I'd probably be stipped of all personality if I stuck to it :lol: but the 20th gives some nice freedom to go at it at a nice pace & still get a load of progress done. :)

10. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

moving the deadline are we!

Seeing the insane ammount of work you need to have done, I will say its a fair deal:D

The panels looks amazing man! You are in no way in doubt that they were made by you, seeing the pattern:D In my mind, this is the "Waynio style"

11. GLA-58

GLA-58 What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow: Seems to me insanity has already struck . For I see this as an immensly sane/insane project. But hey what is normal ?! :eyebrow: :D :eeek:

Keep up the good work.

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

OMG Wayne, thats going to take for ever to do mate, maybe even longer. You are truly certifiably insane mate.

But It's going to loook pukka thats for sure..Top moddong dude.:thumb:

13. Asouter

Asouter --------

No slapsville then ? :wallbash: Damn

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Since he moved the deadline, he MUST slap himself! :clap:

I want a youtube video of it! :D

15. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Aren´t you scared to death that you´ll **** things up in say the last cutting? I know you won´t, but just thinking about it makes me anxious. So many hours... so many... Keep it up!!

16. Asouter

Asouter --------

Let's take a vote on it lol. Can you add a vote thingy to other peoples threads ?

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks p0Pe :) it's still a possibility that I get them all cut by the 10th but with me pulling back the date I feel relaxed about it again so rather than be stressed over getting it done by then I'm not & will be done when it's done. :D

At least on the next session in a moment I'll complete the cutting on 1 of the gamer sides & will strip it of the template & protective backing to take some shots of it but will be dark by then so unnatural light shots for that & then might make a start on the 2nd one, got interupted & it broke my concentration so thought I'd take a quick break. :)

:D I'm not crazy but the lengths I go to to do my projects probably are. :lol: cheers GLA :)

:lol: That's it I'm just thinking of the piece brushed & anodised looking sweet after the effort, cheers Jeff. :)

:lol::p

:D:duh:

Kind of :D I didn't do the mounting holes or anything like that on most of the templates but I will make new templates for that & use the drilling helpers I made to do perfect mounts throughout, with the effort to make all the panels I'll be ultra careful to make the mounts spot on. ;) Cheers quizz_kid :)

You really want to see it eh :hehe::lol::D

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

You are insane, I thought i was extrem when doing my square holes but that was pure vacation compared to what this will be/is. I totally get why you don't want to file the inside, maybe you have acess to a sand(glass)blaster and can have them blasted to even out most of the cutting marks.

Anyway, amazing work as allways

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I feel sorry for you bro, the amount of cutting and filing is unbelievable !
    Kudos to you sir for that crazy amount of patience and dedication!!!!

20. k4p84

k4p84 What's a Dremel?

you sir have more patience than I

keep up the good work