1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

It would seriously be the highlight of my life! :lol:

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Cheers Gnu, We all are at least a tiny bit & if we weren't things would be dull eh :D:rock: I'll consider buying a sand blaster, not expensive when I had a look last time. :)

:lol: Dont Alex completed 1 & already feeling a ton of relief & satisfaction :D but have 1 more of these to make still but after that it will just keep getting easier. :thumb:

:lol: Cheers k4p84 :)

:D:hehe:

Peanut M&Ms & nice coffee & the remainder of a heck of a mission. :D:rock:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worth every minute & now I have another 1 of these to make. :eeek::)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rock::dremel::rock::dremel::rock:

k4p84 likes this.
  3. k4p84

k4p84 What's a Dremel?

4. peteski

peteski long live the pc

[​IMG]

man thats sweet :rock: :rock: :rock:

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Incase you end up blasting it, I would use glass beads instead of sand. The sand might stick to the alu surface and mess upp the results after anodizing.

That finished piece is just :rock::rock::rock::rock:

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D

Thanks peteski was an awesome feeling cutting out the last line & then ripping off the template & protective backing. :D

I'll look into that Gnu cheers mate, :) took an incredible amount of time to do but I like the result. :D

7. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Wow really! I'm mean really, with a scroll saw! You just created a new level in modding. That is totally awesome

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Bloody hell Wayne, that looks purely awesome, well done! :thumb:

9. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don What's a Dremel?

sweet mother O.O

i can haz?

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

So glad it turned out good after all the time put into it :D cheers Cleveland216. :)

:D Cheers kidmod :)

:D Thanks Don

I'll relax for a few more minutes & then make a start on panel number 2 of these, after these side panels the next most time consuming piece will be the back gaming panel, then the htpc back then the gaming front, everything else I should be able to get a good few panels done each day but even many of the plain panels I will probably go back to after all mounting holes are in place to cut out more simple patterns to make it all lighter. :)

11. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

12. Cown

Cown Minimodder

That's insane, great job! *jealous*

13. Martininho

Martininho What's a Dremel?

i second the p0Pe on this one :rock:

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks p0Pe :)

:D Cheers Martininho

Was just getting into doing the other panel & thought I'd clean up a bit around the saw & found some 10 TPI blades, they are close to 2mm wide so will be nice & strong blades, could be fooling myself again but I think I might be able to get the 2nd panel done in a day or maybe 2 instead of 4. :D

Only downside to this is the cut might be a little rougher but I don't mind that if I can do it faster, I will only use them for the longer curves & lines, not the ends of the lines or tiny cut outs but this should be a huge time saver. :rock:

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I would be carefull about blasting as well. I blasted the front of my G5 case, and it released tension like a MOFO! It warped like 4-5 mm afterwards, since it's only a 3mm piece of sheet. Just a heads up! :)

But keep up the damn nice work! :thumb:

16. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Great work Wayne really great. That looks so much better than the sketch. :thumb:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That's put me off :D, could it still warp it if it's lying flat on the floor? would be a royal kick in the nuts if it warped just from taking an easier approach. :lol:
    Thanks Angel :) the new chunkier blades are excellent but I still have to use the weak blades for the tiny cut outs & finishing the ends of the cut outs.

Thanks Craig :)
    My projects always do look better than my concepts :D I don't do any advanced rendering, just get the basic model I need made, I did apply some textures this time though but it still doesn't give it anywhere near the same look as real parts. :D

I took a quick look at advanced rendering & it looks a bit too much messing & looks like the better programs for doing it cost a fortune, looks awesome but too much extra time for something unimportant I think & would rather spend the time to improve my sketchup skill. :)

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Panel number 2.

Didn't do much today so not much to show but when I was cleaning up around the saw I found some 10 TPI blades I forgotten about, 18TPI on the left, 12 TPI in the middle & 10 TPI on the right, they are far stronger than the others so can cut faster.
    [​IMG]

They are very good for making quick work of the cutting but not good at very tight turns & useless at U-turns so & I wasted a bit of time before I got my thinking cap on. :D
    [​IMG]

I decided to take out the need to go from the opening hole to the sides with a curve by adding start holes close to the edges, this will allow me to do all the longer curve lines quickly with the 10 TPI blades & then go over them all with a more flexible blade to take out the ends, I expect I'll have this panel done tomorrow if I get a good session in, already taken out the most fiddly holes with 18 TPI blades.
    [​IMG]

So early night, early rise & intend to get through this panel, would be quite something managing what was taking 4 solid days in a day.

19. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

This is a work of art !

20. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Yours is different, because it's INSANE!

But there are certain project logs that don't hold my interest, simply because they're simple and more like a cut and assemble project... Maybe I'm digging myself in a hole with some, but I just feel like using a CNC for a bulk of the work is more a Testament to a persons engineering/designing skills... But I guess I also like hand saws, hand planes, and chisels... So maybe I'm leaning a bit towards old fashioned when it comes to building things...:lol:

Looking great Waynio, the progress is coming along nicely :thumb: