1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

No worries! You will be fine with brown switches, they are the perfect first mechanical keyboard switch. You will love it! I am currently struggling with a cherry black board, not sure if I like them enough to keep it!

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

There is an actual difference between the white and black boards, the white noppoos keycaps are far better, but since you should be getting awesome replacement keycaps anyways, it shouldn't matter ;)

Lonweight, what don't you like about the blacks?

3. longweight

Well I am not too sure really! They are very heavy compared to the browns, maybe it is just me being a wuss? I can see that they would be great for gaming and are very quiet.

I am also getting annoyed with the KBC Poker layout but that would be because I am at work and need the F and number keys!

Where are you based George?

4. GeorgeStorm

Haha, I've no doubt you're being a wuss ;)

I find using the F keys not too hard now, although took me a while to get used to, and I don't use numbers/F keys all that much really.

I'm currently in Loughborough, although live in Essex.

5. longweight

I think the layout would be fine at home for gaming and internet use but it sucks for AutoCAD / Excel at work! Especially as it is TKL!

Ahh not close to me, was thinking we could have some kind of strange keyboard meet!

6. GeorgeStorm

It's not out of the question actually, I know meets have happened elsewhere, seen pictures of a couple in the US, and I think there's a Dutch one being organised on Deskthority atm?

7. longweight

I could never tell my girlfriend if we do arrange something.

Central London? Who else would be interested?

8. Raptor77

Raptor77 What's a Dremel?

That's... the colours... eww :eeek:

But anyway I'd probably come to a London thing if you guys happened to do it when I was over there for something else. I wouldn't make a journey over there especially for it; too expensive.

Also, what's supposed to be the problem with MX blues and gaming? Double tapping? I can't think if I have any games that need double taps but surely if that was an issue it would cause problems with typing some words as well? I just finished ME2 on Insane with no keyboard related problems - although no double tapping as far as I can remember.

9. GeorgeStorm

I found no problems with gaming on blues, I think it's people who play starcraft who may have issues, since they have such crazy APM once they get half decent.

And I'd agree that the teal and pink isn't for everyone :p

10. longweight

The problem with blue switches is that the release point is higher than the actuation point so some people find that spamming a key doesn't always work very well.

Looking forward to trying blues!

11. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Some people find blues annoying for fast paced gaming because you HAVE to let the switch reset to get a reliable actuation. That means letting go of it each time, as opposed to riding the actuation point for fast key spamming. Whether this really slows you down much varies from person to person. I prefer reds but have gamed on blues, browns, blacks, clears, and even a full board of greens I modded which is a blue that is black heavy. I don't have problems on any switch type.

In regard to the Poker, if you need to use f-keys a LOT, you should try setting the left win to 2nd left function key. It makes it easier to one hand for each half of the f-row. I used to unplug and hit the dipswitch for that change on a few games that you basically can't avoid using the fkeys for. It was a lot more convenient than letting go of the mouse to push right fn key. It is still somewhat awkward feeling press left fn with thumb and claw press the f key but it might work for you too.
    In case you can't decipher the Chinese guide the dip you need to set is #1.

12. Raptor77

Raptor77 What's a Dremel?

Oh right, I always let the key return all the way to the top so that explains why I don't have any problems then. I still don't understand why this is a gaming problem though; surely it would be a problem for fast typists also? Unless the gamers that have these problems are pressing buttons faster than the best typists?

I didn't know there was a green... is that a real switch or mod only? Sounds like something I might have to look at :D

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Green is an actual MX switch, but it is only used in the spacebar on Cherry, and few other companies blue switch keyboards. There has never been one made commercially with green switch for the entire board to my knowledge. They are harder to find, and usually expensive bought individually. I did the self mod version - blue stems, black springs since it is the same thing, and much more cost effective since I already had the parts...

Some people don't encounter issue, so you don't see it as a problem. It is mostly a gaming problem, as you are more likely to press the same key repeatedly in a short burst. You generally don't need to do this while typing. For example, load up one of those fast paced rhythm games and try and spam the key without leaving the actuation point. You will probably see why people complain then. But since you are happy, you really shouldn't be looking for a problem. Well, easy excuse to try another switch though... LOL.
    I am aware of it when gaming on blues/greens, but if I don't concentrate on it, it does not annoy me at all. It's all due to those stem being a 2 part, and both pieces not moving at the exact same time. The part with the cap pops up slightly ahead of the part that makes contact with the leaf. If you are fast enough you can press the cap down again before the last actuation released, which is what annoys some people.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I noticed the green switch when I cleaned my G80-3000 and wondered if it was a tougher weight than the blues. :)

I've been gaming on this keyboard extensively and I have to say I'm completely in love with it (my wife HATES it though, rofl) - it's perfect for everything and I hope it lasts for years... or until i get myself a black one. :D

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

My own opinion (there's your disclaimer) is that this is only a very serious gamer's concern which more casual gamers try to emulate. These gamers likely are pressing faster than the best typists and more importantly, they're pressing less unique keys. So while you've got a typist using the entire alphabet and punctuation you've got gamers only using the hotkeys their game requires (typically numbers and the left hand keys). Gamers, specifically RTS gamers, also have frequent need for more than double taps. They might want, say, five quick presses to build five units, and they might want to repeat this process five times to build these units at five different structures. It very quickly out paces the double taps used by the fastest typists.

However, this all assumes that you're talking about 250+ APM speed. Most non-competitive players, even skilled ones, won't be double tapping fast enough to be slowed down by blues, or even if they double tap fast other factors like slow unit selection might make it moot. You've also got to consider that even when using another switch a player might still release higher than they need to, often high enough for blues to reset, because they haven't practiced floating the activation point so strictly.

TL;DR, saying they're bad for gaming is a way to make yourself sound like the pros. Hardware is always second to skill, technique and practice in gaming.

Makes sense. I've been considering swapping a black spring onto the red stem on my Leopold's spacebar for the same effect.

16. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I have now also bought a Filco with MX browns and a Cherry-mini for work (MX black I think).

I caved, how could I resist such a nice keyboard!

Now I have to figure out what to do with my Blackwidow ultimate...
    Might sell it.

17. cpl

cpl Minimodder

I joined this mech. keyboard bandwagon on Monday by acquiring a new Cherry G80-3000 (with blue switches) for myself at work. I've only ever typed on rubber domes before this week. What the experience so far tells me is that I'm a total hammerer of keys. I am now training myself to be more gentle.

I'm looking forward to trying a few more switch types. I've tracked down an old Viglen (AT interface) keyboard in a lab at work that I may commandeer next. I suspect it has some kind of ALPS switches from typing on it, then doing some quick research.

I'd love to try some buckling springs :)

18. Williz

Williz Minimodder

AstralWanderer likes this.
  19. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

Just had my filco apart because of a rogue solder ball in between the bottom and PCB. Made it sound like one of these things when i picked it up:

[​IMG]

Looks really cool inside, the PCB is ridiculously thick.

20. longweight

Any pictures?