1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Bit-Tech Digital 3D Render Gallery

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scooby, 6 May 2009.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Love the design of the building. The overall feel of the final render is nice, drawing attention to what's important. I'm not keen on the weird bubbling effect, it takes away from the final result. Can I ask your reasoning for applying this technique?

It might also be worth looking at the edges of the building again, because there's still evidence of the building being cut and pasted onto the background, with a slight white glow around the upper half (especially against the sky, and far tree), and the edge is too sharp at ground level. An easy way of blending the cut image into the background is to slightly blur the edges.

The lighting looks nice overall, and really helps give a taste of what the building would actually feel like.

2. dylan woodhouse

dylan woodhouse What's a Dremel?

hi guys, newbie here,
    i just have one question, why do you do this, other than enjoyment

Last edited: 7 Mar 2012
  3. dylan woodhouse

dylan woodhouse What's a Dremel?

can you download and use these?

4. cronicash

cronicash What's a Dremel?

Having fun trying new tricks can also lead to more work and more money. Getting opinion from others who have experience here is also another mutual bonus...

Sums up mostly my intention, though im sure others have more practical reason...

5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Cheers The "bubbling" effect is meant to simulate water on a camera lenses and I was in two minds about using it but in the end I think it fit the rest of my presentation well. The building design was formulated around wind hence I wanted a stormy scene so the inside looks like a safe haven. Agreed I need to blur the edges it doesn't show up when printed hence I didn't really bother.

thanks for the comment :thumb:

I do this for work and for my degree.

6. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

growing some digital grass for a project:

7. microsoftPerson

I don't think the collisions were working with the first video I made. I came up with a new technique which is working better, it seems you can actually see the ball making its way through the grass now:

8. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

nice simulation, although the materials could use some tweaking

9. microsoftPerson

Thanks. Yeah they can use some tweaking for sure. I need a new heatsink, renders are causing my machine to run far too hot right now.

Not that I don't have any ideas of my own or think it's perfect - would you elaborate on what you think I should do to the materials? The ball is just for play but any input you have on the grass would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2012
  10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Here's the setup I normally use for a quick grass material.
    [​IMG]

11. microsoftPerson

Thanks Tangster, and in C4D format nonetheless! Our materials look pretty similar. I wonder how you're handling the length channel for the hair as mine seems to be really uniform in length even after upping the variation to 100%. Other than the color they are quite similar in their setup actually. I used some clump in mine though.

Can I ask, if you don't mind. What do the different layers in the color channel do exactly? I figure they just mix with each other like photoshop but it doesn't hurt to ask as some things in C4D are a bit more complicated than they seem. Similarly, should I disregard the inactive layers or do they still have some effect on the material?

Also, I like that you have some green grass and some brown grass. That looks more realistic to me than the grass that people make with brown mixed in with every blade of green grass as a part of the gradient. But what do you do with that? Can you apply both materials to the hair and get some sort of random mix of the two?

*edit* I'm also interested in how you set up your thickness channel? Did you make your own curve for the thickness?

12. Tangster

The different colour channel allow me to quickly change the look of the grass, either by changing which layers are active or changing the blending mode of the extra channel, which could look pretty cool when animated. Other than that they don't affect the grass that much.

The length is unchanged in mine, they're actually all uniform length. I have a custom curve for frizz that gives the impression of nonuniformity and at the same time a little variation, with 50% frizz and 16% variation. The thickness channel has a 0.2cm variation and just goes from 0.3cm to 0.

I don't think you can affect the colour of the grass without setting up UV maps, I have two textures just so I can pick and choose which grass I want to use in a particular scene.

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Just playing about with some settings and a few new materials

[​IMG]

14. cronicash

Was in a bit of a rush to get the basic shape right. WIP.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Yet to add dirt, few more tidy ups and appropriate scene...

[​IMG]

15. cronicash

Quick update...

[​IMG]

16. microsoftPerson

car looks great to me, did you do the model from scratch? thanks for sharing.

17. cronicash

yeah, all modelled myself...

18. microsoftPerson

Awesome. It looks like a really nice model. (I didn't realize I could open the wireframe image before, looks even cooler now)

19. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Love your designs man. I've always wanted to peak inside your brain :dremel:

20. Tangster

Some very impressive stuff Editor and Cronic.
    @Editor, very clean design, looks surprisingly small for a quad rad system.

@Cronic, that's some great modelling on the car. I never could model cars very accurately.
    The texture looks a little odd, some dirt/damage might help give it a sense of scale. As is it looks a bit like a RC model.