1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The World Of Professional Starcraft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 Mar 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

DOTA2 tournaments are now the highest paid tournaments in gaming history despite the game still only being in beta. I'm afraid SC2 has finally met a match in the professional gaming world.

3. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

hmm, real heros of the people. They look like they`re enjoying themselves but all this pro gamer bull seriously takes the fun out of games imo. then again i`m a clicker i like the falibility of it all.

4. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

My Uni's LAN society play Starcraft 2 almost exclusively, and I've never really even looked into it. After reading this I think I'll have a watch of a few of those Youtube videos and see if I can get my head round it :)

5. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

I know I should just search, but I'm going to ask anyway. There's this famous old clip of a Street Fighter (or similar arcade fighter from that era) tournament in a basement somewhere, where one guy makes a seemingly impossible comeback and the crowd goes mental. Could someone point me in the right direction towards something similar from the SC2 pro gaming scene? "The best game of SC2 ever played" or some such. Thanks!

6. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

bob_lewis, just search for IdrA MLG fail...
    should give you a very awesome little match to laugh with in the end :p
    or, go to youtube and search for: When Cheese Fails

7. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I love starcraft I really do. It's just a shame my skill doesn't reflect my enthusiasm for the game.
    I do follow the GSL but from a spectator PoV I actually prefer watching teams in the US and Europe. It's cool when they are streaming and they explain their thought process and reasoning behind (what to the layman would appear to be odd) decisions but it only really works when the players speak fluent english. Thats no disrespect intended to Korean players. They are truly outstanding.

@Bob_lewis:

I can't link games at work due to youtube being blocked but have a search for the finals of the 2011 Blizzcon invitational between Nestea and MvP.

One of the best Terran Vs Zerg games I think I've ever seen. It's cast by Day[9] and I forgoet his co caster but it's a really great game. As far as I'm aware the most successful zerg player in SC2 (admitedly sort) history and one of the top terrans in the world, arguably the top.

8. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM&feature=youtube_gdata_player evo moment 37. From evo 2004, which is the most respected and biggest American fighting game tournament. Thousands of dedicated people watching in shock and awe how daigo umehara does the impossible by doing full party of every single hit of Justin wongs super

9. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

these players are hitting 200+ commands a minute, and know every keyboard shortcut going, its just a shame those skills were developed with a game that only has a few viable stratagies, after watching a few streams, it kinda gets old very quickly, us in the west take the piss outta the whole thing, and so we should, its overhyped, and really quite a bad game, there has been many attempts in the west at televised pro gamer leagues, but as the west is so console oriented, it wont take off unless microsoft or sony back it big time, I for one, will stick with ESL and its many, many supported titles, its not just about starcraft, and, true gamer greatness lies in being top of your game in multiple titles, not just one, and making your CLAN rep to be feared, some of the esl greats would kick korean ass, and have done, you might not make as much $ in the west, but, you will have loadsa more fun doing it

10. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I would tend to say there are more than a "few viable strategies", and even with the same strategies, the results can vary significantly. Football also only has a few viable builds: 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-5-1 etc. - and they all play the same race! :p

Things such as patches and new maps help to shake up the strategies every now and again. And there can even be regional variations in tactics, such as when all the European Terrans were going for fast blue-flame Hellions.

11. pluto9302

pluto9302 What's a Dremel?

Starcraft II is still a developing game, strategies are imperfect and not to mention there are several balance issues with the game. If you want to see what a real starcraft player is like you need to delve into the Brood War proscene, players like JaeDong, Flash, Fantasy, Bisu have near perfected the play of their races, they'd be peaking at 4-500 apm and averaging 300+ apm. One of my all time favorite micro plays by Jaedong - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7O6ckYSCAU

teamliquid.net is where you want to be for both starcraft II and broodwar proscene

12. Jhodas

Jhodas Theorist

If you're unsure of how much fun watching starcraft is, pop along to a barcraft.
    You sit in a bar, drink beer (provided you meet the age requirements in your country/state/kettle of fish) and watch starcraft. It's like watching football. Surprised these didn't get mentioned in the article tbh.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

barcraft was mentioned oO

to show how big the events are becoming - this years blizzcon is cancelled for the world championships , in south korea...

watched the games at last years blizzcon - the top matches are really very tense (no i dont know all the tactics) its a really close thing

14. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

These two are professionals. Day[9] is an ex-pro player, and now casts as a job.

Good artical though. I do love a bit of starcraft, and get laughed at when watching games in my lunchbreak at work.

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

i like Day[9] they had him at blizzcon

16. Lance

Day9's channel is amazing.

How to be a better gamer.

He does some really good stuff, but he is a bit of a mega geek....

Also if you're interested in playing the I-series does a really good comp each year. I played against Lau, who was a great player, but pretty much walked over me!

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

been many years since i went to the I series , think the last was i-16 ;)

edit:

in fact i even think it was i-6 not 16 ;( - does Lumpy and manic still go?

18. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

I play a lot of SC2 and love the competitive scene, lots of matches to watch and plenty of good people like Day9, HuskyStarcraft etc to help people learn and contribute a lot to the community. When you learn even a bit about the game matches become incredibly fun to watch. - watch players live on Team liquid.net, go to the starcraft 2 tab and then there are plenty of options there.

Starcraft 1 I never got into, however it seems like Asia (South Korea) attempted to make it very excluded from outsiders in esports, making it vary rare for a good foreign vs Korean clash. I'm glad all regions play together in major tournaments now.

Unlucky, at my uni I was watching starcraft 2 games and managed to get several people from the uni playing :p

19. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Pro starcraft is a lot of fun - and definitely worth supporting as a model of how video games can taken into the mainstream. It's also great fun to play competitively yourself - even if you aren't at the pro level!

There's a british player/caster called apollo (on team dignitas mentioned in the article) who's put together some good articles on playing better for newcomers, definitely worth checking out to get your skill level up: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0B7058D9D46661D1

20. Lance

I believe Lumpy does. If its who I think it is.

I would like to start a campaign against Dapollo - his arrogance is only outdone by how much of a **** he is.

When the pro's were playing the non-pro's at the Iseries he just sat and ripped into the amateurs for being noobs and wastes of time.

However he is quite good when hes casting players "good enough for him". And he is the UK's best caster, biscuit is not quite up to standard, as he's not an ex pro.

Its not too bad. I am working on persuading the IT guys to unlock the ports to let me play.

Tags: Add Tags