1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is this forum coming to? Awesome discussions on life, the universe & everything!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by StingLikeABee, 5 Mar 2012.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

If what you're saying would get you punched down the pub, think of a more tactful way of expressing your opinion. Simple.

Nerds With Attitude - If you disagree with a moderation decision, don't turn it in to a civil rights issue. Have the maturity to accept it. Try walking a mile in their shoes - That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have a headache.

Oh, and encourage grammar nazis. Their intentions might not be altruistic; You may blush slightly (and rightly so, you screwed up) but it's better to be corrected on your mistake now than let it become habit - You could eaqually make the same mistake on the CV your righting tommorrow.

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Nice one!

3. VipersGratitude

it was intentional...now spot the other two mistakes after the hyphen ;)

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

What hyphen? Surely you mean the dash. :p

For the record, I've never really been a fan of grammar Nazis. In my opinion when a reply focuses more on the grammar of a post rather than the actual content of the post, it's an early indication that the grammar Nazi may be running out of quality arguments to support his case.

There also is the fact that pretty much every self-described grammar Nazi is prone to making simple mistakes every now and then.

5. VipersGratitude

ffs, you prematurely set off my trap </trollface>

It's true that even Nazi's make mistakes sometimes, but like Jews, it teaches us to be more aware of how we present ourselves to the world. </epictrollface>

6. longweight

I know :)

7. longweight

Tomorrow.....

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the pickle weasel

9. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Actually I will refer you to my sig of many years now, on Netiquette:

Rule 10: Be forgiving of other people's mistakes:

Its not rude to point out mistakes nicely, and when you consider: Rule 5: Make yourself look good online

Then really the responsibility to make your SPG legible falls upon that of the writing. N00bs aren't n00bs forever, and some people need to learn to write properly if they want other people to read what they say with a mind focussed upon the topic.

But frankly he had many opportunities to improve his SPG (and didn't) so doesn't have a leg to stand on. Also like yoda said, that guy said some pretty heavy things aimed primarily at muslim/arab groups iirc, and he is WAY incorrect if he thinks freedom of speech protects him whilst standing upon his soap box here (I should hope).

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Apparently speech like that around here is only acceptable if it's aimed at Christians. Seriously, I hear more and more bashing these days. It's one reason I've frequented SD less and less. When you hear it over and over, it doesn't matter if you have a valid point at the time or not-you just get tired of it. So, I've seen myself out of SD for the most part. There's simply no place for me there anymore.

eddie_dane likes this.
  11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As I have said before: Dwarfer's opinions are not the issue; it's the way he put them across and refused to debate them in a debating forum. I once banned a Muslim for similarly proselytising in SD but refusing to enter debate (member MARYA with his "Y U mad at us Muslims, bro? We are a religion of peace" etc. but not wanting to discuss how people were supposed to gel that view with all the violence that went on in the Middle East).

(I also recently put to donok that Christianity is a morally superior belief system to Islam, but that seems to have slipped by unnoticed. :D )

Last edited: 7 Mar 2012
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

And the Jedis trump all other religious beliefs.

13. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Can't everyone just kiss and make up?

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Why don't you start that thread?

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

All I'll say is that I haven't yet seen a ban or a moderator comment that I fundamentally disagree with.

They must be doing a reasonable job folks, this is still the best forum on the internet.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dwarfer did start a thread on this, along with two other examples of that ilk but with the foregone conclusion that it was PC gone mad and hypocrites, aren't they all. There was no indication that he wanted to discuss this --it appeared as just one more rant amongst many.

However if he (or anyone else) wants to raise it as a serious debating point, it has merit and I'm happy for that to happen.

17. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I'm a bit late to the party here, but it's not just Nexxo. It's fair to say that all the mods support him in this.

18. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Or it was more of the case that you closed the thread before any discussion could be attempted, then banned me after for a conversation I made before your allegation!

Yes Parge, the moderators are brilliant and do an amazing job on this forum! :wallbash:

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Well, Nexxo, I did see that, but after watching Spec say that anyone who espouses a belief in any religion goes down in his estimation, and knowing he's now a mod, there's little point. There's been little place for my opinions for forever, now there's none. I'm just saving my hands. Nobody listens to you if you have any belief systems, so what's the point, anyway.

20. longweight

Belief systems are fine, we all have and live by them. Belief systems based on religious texts are in my mind not as valid as those based on observation / science.