1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is this forum coming to? Awesome discussions on life, the universe & everything!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by StingLikeABee, 5 Mar 2012.

1. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I never posted to debate whether homosexuality is right or wrong just that I do not think it is irrational to believe its wrong.

Fair point, how is this then? To me homosexuality is wrong.

Hang on! You just wrote that my beliefs on homosexuality was rational. Have you changed your mind already?

I totally agree, but I was asked for a reason (even though I had already given my reasons in a previous post RE: catholic upbringing) so I answered. I never said that it will happen, I simply said if it did the human race would die out.

2. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

And if we all drank weedkiller, the human race would become extinct too.

3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

If you post in SD you should expect debate.

That's fine, still doesn't make the belief rational tho.

Where did Nexxo write that? I can't see him saying that your belief is rational.

Actually you were asked for a rational basis for your belief. The reasons you've provided are irrational and do not answer the question of 'what is rational basis for believing homosexuality is wrong'.

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Oh come on. If the earth was destroyed by a meteor , global warming or the earths core overheating would this be wrong? Or is okay because they could be considered natural.

What about the earthquakes,hurricanes and tsunamis that have killed hundreds of thousands of people. Do you think these events aren't wrong as they happened naturally?

Last edited: 9 Mar 2012
  5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

No nothing you have mentioned there is wrong.

The deaths as a result of any of those scenarios are very sad and could have been prevented but that doesn't make them wrong.

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I do but I wasn't debating about that.

In your opinion.

In the post I quoted.

I believe the reasons I have given are rational. Is my catholic faith really considered irrational?

7. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I'm sorry mate we will have to agree to disagree. I think they are all wrong.

8. longweight

Why do you think they are wrong?

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Perhaps a more piercing question would be, what is it about them that is wrong? Also, what do you mean by wrong? Immoral, undesirable, or what?

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Because I believe something is either right or wrong. And I do not believe that people being killed is right.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2012
  11. longweight

12. longweight

In what way is it wrong though?

13. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Of course it's in my opinion. But it's an opinion that can be supported by rational arguments as opposed to your belief, unless you have some rational argument that you've been holding back?

The post you quoted didn't contain anything to the effect of Nexxo agreeing your belief about homosexuality was rational as far as I can see.

Believing homosexuality is wrong because of teachings based on the interpretation of writings in a millennia old book? Yeah i'd call that pretty irrational tbh.

14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Because it is not right. Again I am not trying to get you to agree with me, I am just giving you an explanation on my reasoning. To me there is no middle ground, there is only right and wrong. If something is not right then it must be wrong and vice versa.

15. longweight

Sorry but that isn't an explanation it is your opinion and nothing more. The fact that you answered the question "Why is it wrong?" with "Because it is" shows that you cannot provide a logical and detailed answer to the question.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

And I argue that it is an irrational belief. In fact I would go as far as argue that you cannot apply the concepts "right" or "wrong" to homosexuality.

So far you have not given me one rational argument to support the belief that homosexuality is wrong.

Subjective; not rational.

No, you just misread.

I can think of a bunch of far-out hypothetical situations in which Catholicism is wrong. But that would be a weak argument, because it would be

"Because it is not right" is not a rational argument either. It is just a statement of your position, not a rational argument for it.

17. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

Maybe a slightly different wording to the question may help?

How did you decide that homosexuality was wrong? Is it something that you read that allowed you to form that opinion, or maybe something someone told you? Or is it just one of those feelings that everyone has concerning contentious issues? I don't think people are asking you to justify your beliefs, they merely want to understand what the driving forces were that formed these beliefs.

18. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Look mate, my faith and beliefs are rational. You can disagree with them, but if my faith is the reason for my beliefs then that is what makes it rational. If I never gave a reason then it could be considered irrational.

Read again dude. He said it was rational but subjective.

I wouldn't.

19. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I never decided on my own. It was taught to me by my parents, my teachers, my priest, my siblings and my peers.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Faith by definition is not rational. It's designed that way for a reason.

No, I said:
    Doesn't matter; in this instance it is. The millennia-old book in question does not provide a rational argument.