1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice i5 gaming build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by echo three, 11 Mar 2012.

1. echo three

echo three What's a Dremel?

OK, so been looking at getting a new rig, going to be used exclusively for gaming as I've got other rigs for media streaming/hosting/3d work.

Already got a monitor which is currently Dell 1920x1280 jobby, so I don't need anything like that, well until I up grade and get a triple monitor setup which will be towards the end of the year.

I've also stuck on a mouse and keyboard and kinda wanna stick with corsair, only thing I think I need on top of what's listed is some artic silver paste or alike and a mouse mat.

Thoughts welcome if you think there's a better synergy of components or if there's a better set up I could go for for similar coin.

There's no real specific requirements, other than being able to cross fire/sli in the future. I picked that case just because I love it and have done for while so that's something I would rather not change.

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/ca2cd9774a48409ebaf13f418ae15897

Many thanks,

2. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I see you've put no specific requirements, but what games are you wanting to play?

My rig can play BF3 on a mix of high/medium

3. echo three

Yeah sorry, main games are wow, swtor, bf3, skyrim, anno 2070, which at the mo won't run on my current setup, neither does swtor, bf3 has to run on min res at a lower than native res. But basically a wide range of games from shoot em ups to RTS to mmo's and, alike.

I want to be in a position where I don't have to worry about buying a game and then thinking that my system won't run it and for it to at least last for some time. Cheers,

4. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

Thats a rock solid build!! you should be able to play most if not all games maxed out!!
    The only concern i would have is the motherboard... ive not heard or read much about it :/

but this still is a rock solid build!!

5. echo three

6. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

looks like a nice build

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

The K90 is a mix between cherry red switches and standard rubber domes, not sure if you have ever used a mechanical keyboard but I couldn't use a board with mixed switches!

8. echo three

Well it was a toss up between that one and one of the logitech g series,

9. longweight

10. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

Well, as others no doubt think, it's best to wait for Ivy Bridge and the NVidia Kepler series to come out. It should just be a short while before they're out.

Other than that, I would think that if you're air-cooling, the FT02 is better (and I notice, significantly cheaper if you get it from the Today's Deal page on Scan), but as you love the 800D, leave it as is, just add a few fans and make sure you're not putting it on carpet.

Lastly, in case you didn't pick it up from other build advice, you get free delivery at scan if you make 20 posts on this forum.

Otherwise, enjoy!

11. echo three

Yeah I had originally planned to wait but I think my psu has just gone as I'm suddenly getting nothing when I press the power button, just about to take it out and try jumping it and /or swapping it with another 450 I've got knocking about,

Also, with their planned release of the lower end cards first I kinda don't want to wait.

With regards to the keyboard I've had the logitech g19 first release for a good while and I loved it until the space bar started intermittently not working,

Software wise its much of a much, I've got win 7 premium but it licenses are all used, where I get if from will just be the OEM as cheap as I can get it, it is still 3 machines max you can use it on?

12. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

If you get Home Premium you're limited to 16GB of memory (RAM + GPU)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

And did you consider the NH-D14 or Phanteks coolers? Your Dark Rock Pro will have clearance issues with your RAM (just take the heatspreaders off) so you might as well go the whole hog and get a better cooler :)

Last edited: 11 Mar 2012
    longweight likes this.
  13. echo three

14. catsol75

catsol75 What's a Dremel?

15. longweight

16. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Lots of similarities with my build (see sig), definitely overkill for your resolution but if you are planning on going with a 3 screen setup you're gonna need that horsepower for sure.

Maybe you could save approx. £70 if you go with a standard 7970 on Today Only?

You'll want to get 3 fans for the top of the case, and even consider replacing the crappy Corsair ones too.

The case is screaming out for WC, something I am still hanging on for, but my temps aren't particularly bad the way I have my fan config.

Just a very noisy graphics card once it rises to 70 degrees+

I'm loving the K90, and I never really use the F keys much so don't notice the switch to dome keys very often.

The PSU is rock solid and silent, good choice.

Sounds like a great build, but screaming out for a better display setup and cooling.