1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Kepler gets benched, monsters 7970

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DIZZY DAZZLER 2010, 17 Mar 2012.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That one also shows as PCI-E 2.0. I don't trust it.

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I think some of you don't know how the PCIe lanes work. As you all know we are in this so called Green (ECO) decade, so power saving is a must in today's society.

If your GPU is sat at Idle, then you will notice in GPU-Z that your PCIe 3.0 16x will now drop to PCIe 2.0 8x and then PCIe 1.1 4x lanes to save power.

This is why in those screen shots you see PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 1.1, because the Gfx card is at idle.

Also the difference in the 2 clock speeds I.E Default and Current, is Nvidia have enabled a turbo boost, the same as Intel CPU's. Although 'this' turbo boost gives you more power when you are under full load (Intel's turbo boost only comes into play when you are only loading a single core, and drops off when your CPU starts to get to full load). Again this is another power saving feature.

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

So that would be why GPU-z claims I'm at PCI-E 1.1 half the time...

Cheers for that, Simon!

Back on topic; That kind of boosting should be user variable. So if you choose to just outright blast the cards at max clocks all the time; you can. It should just hook into NVCP, however. Just another option under 'Power Management Mode'.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Indeed. Running GPUz it initially shows PCIe 2.0, then after some seconds drops down to 1.1

5. Pookeyhead

Mine doesn't. I wonder if I've got some kind of power saving switched off in BIOS.

Still not making any decision until someone reputable does some tests at decent resolutions.

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Have you got your power management set to adaptive in NV control panel, and your Power management in control panel set to default Balance?

[​IMG]

David likes this.
  7. Pookeyhead

That's the badger! It clocks down now. Some more pennies saved for Kepler :)

What we want to know is how it scales at higher res though, and with SLI.

[edit]

Drops to PCI-E 1.1, but stays at 16x though.

[edit]

There are actually quite a lot of benchmarks popping up here and there now... all of them at 1080P res, or running the default 3D Mark res though!... damned annoying. Had enough searching now... if anyone finds a 1600P bench post it up here!

Actually.. just noticed Andre B's link has extreme 3D Mark benchies.. looking for 7970 equivalents now.

[edit]

It appears to beat the 7970 xfire by some margin..

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1834/10/

Still can't find anything at decent resolutions though :(

Last edited: 18 Mar 2012
  8. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Is it D3D 11.1? :wallbash:

Last edited: 20 Mar 2012