1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Need new headphones, any advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AcidJiles, 19 Mar 2012.

1. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Need to buy some new headphones relatively cheaply, can anyone recommend an appropriate pair for less than 30 quid? Thanks

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Are these for gaming or for listening to music?

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Can't think what 'headphones' you'd get for that money that would be decent, earphones on the other hand, maybe. The sony in ear buds for around that much are generally well regarded if a bit bassy.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

You can get decent headsets from Logitech for £30. Don't expect the full bells and whistles but a decent bass, range of sounds, build and mic are viable.

Ignore Rotty, it's entirely possible to get a good set.

6. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

you arent going to get a very good pair for £30. do you need a mic as well? senheiser are good, even their cheap headphones are adequate.

7. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Try comparing a set that cost £100 to a set that cost £30, and you'll agree with me. Yeah...DECENT, your 'decent' may be my 'shyte'. Just saying.

8. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

THANK YOU.

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

You can always find something more expensive but you have to operate within your budget. Had an argument today with a stupid german friend of mine who criticised me for having logitech x-540 speakers which he regards as cheap rubbish paired with an expensive Auzentech X-Meridian 2g. He actually stated that speakers should cost more than the soundcard. I explained to him that he was talking shite and that he should check the reviews on the x-540. He only ever buys the cheapest soundcards then complains they are crap. Recently he bought a 21 euro xonar USB sound module and then complained it was ****. When I suggested he stop buying cheap crap then complaining, I recommended my x-meridian 2g and he then started complaining about how it was too expensive and that it probably didn't cost very much to make and so wasn't worth 134 euros.

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

If you want headphones for use with your PC, there's the JVC HA-RX700 or Panasonic RP HTF600E-S which are just about in your budget.

@feathers

The Asus Xonar U3 is pretty decent, what did your friend not like about them it? They're It's made for use with headphones, so if he thought he was getting something equivalent to the Xonar STX or your sound card he was making a mistake..

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012
  11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

He's a dumbass. He has a long history of buying and complaining. 8 computer monitors last year, every one returned to shop for refund and he is still using the old square monitor he has had for years.

He has a complaining nature. He is bored and I think the complaining is a means to create drama. He is a drama queen who craves attention. I want to slap him but I can't because I'm in the UK and he's in Germany.

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I use a ten year old square monitor :lol:

13. feathers

feathers Minimodder

LOL. But you don't buy 8 monitors from a computer shop and then return every one. Eventually the shop got so sick of him they refused cash refund the 8th time and gave him a credit voucher. He then spent 3 weeks pestering customers outside the shop trying to get them to buy his voucher.

Several months later he managed to sell the voucher.

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

15. Deders

Deders Modder

Sony's MDR EX300 or MDR EX500's are really good for the price (£20-£40), they rival buds that cost over £100, now the 310/510's have come out you should be able to pick them up for a bargain. I managed to get the £170 MDR EX700's for £50 not long ago.

Sound-wise they have a great soundstage so you'll be able to tell where and how far enemies are from you in game. The frequency response is pretty much flat (to my ears, as tested through my computer) So While the bass isn't overpowering, it is deep, it goes right down to 5Hz, and because they work by vibrating against your ear bone, you can still feel it at that frequency.

Musically, after getting these earphones I stared hearing things in music that I'd never heard before. You'd need decent quality MP3's and a decent player to get this, in fact they are likely to show up the inadequacies of lower bitrate MP3's. Being made by Sony they have their trademark warm sound signature.

Only problem is, once you get a pair, it's hard to go back to anything of lesser quality.

They do require a burn in for about 12 hours before they sound like they should, if you decide to go for the 310/510's then I'd recommenced about 200 hours of burn in as the seem to be halfway between the 300/500's and the 700's which require 200 hours before 6KHz settles down and stops sounding harsh. Once it does the 700's sound like liquid gold.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012
  16. Splits

Splits What's a Dremel?

I bought some Corsair HS1As for £29.99 from Scan recently, they were on the Today Only sales. It looks as if they've gone up to £35 now but they're still well worth looking at.

17. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Thanks for all the replies. To be clear they are for gaming and with a mic if possible although I would use them for music and movies as well.

18. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Are you happy with them?

19. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Also if I was to pay a bit more what could I get?

20. Deders

Deders Modder

What I suggested and a clip on mic?