1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Dimensions for anyone making their own case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DeX, 25 Jan 2003.

1. D-Mon Taurus

D-Mon Taurus What's a Dremel?

I can't believe i read over that Spotswood, :wallbash: thank you for addressing it to me.
    Finalized the measurements in the picture.
    The length of the opening starting at the top is the 10.1mm plus the 89.9mm where the connectors are located. for simplicity i made it 101mm.
    knowing the distance from the file you linked to and after some calculation. i came to conclusion the total height starting from the top to the mobo tray is than 116.2mm.
    Many thanks and i hope it will also help many others.

Strangely enough it was the measurements of the back plate that never have been put in one file or a single post. And not every sketchup module was accurate.

Spotswood :thumb: thank you. +rep

2. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

Are those notches in the support bracket required? In what standard are those notches described?

3. D-Mon Taurus

The notches on the support bracket near the screw holes are as far as i know not a necessity, But i think when bending this out of aluminum sheet and to make sure no cracks show on the bend you might make a slight notch.

Also the lip of the PCI bracket has a tiny notch and 2 corners bend inwards (Best shown on fig 6-4), when you screw your bracket on you push those tiny points into your support. I made those notches so the bracket is flushed against the support and can't slide up and or down when tightening your screw.
    Have to say i still don't know why these folds are made.

4. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

How far does the support ledge extend?

5. D-Mon Taurus

I am a bit confused on what you mean, sorry?
    If you mean the dark part of the picture. A 15-16mm will be enough knowing the lip of the PCI bracket is 11,4mm wide

This obviously can change depending on the build you having mind, the longer you make the ledge the deeper the whole backplate will come inside your case
    Lets say you use 10x10mm frame works you already need 10mm to get flush with your inside dimensions of your case. And then its the lets say 6mm so you can easily screw in the screw.

I am a noob to modding but i like to make sure my research is accurate. Updated picture again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Mar 2011
  6. D-Mon Taurus

Mobo tray screw holes template for mATX, ATX and SR2.
    Not suitable for printing

[​IMG]

7. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

I would love if there was a database containing detailed photo files in 1:1 size for computer parts.

That way you could basically print them out on big label sheets and just follow your "instructions" on your metal sheets like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've tried to make some, but mine was made from Sketchup-components so I have no idea if they're actually accurate.

A great thing about this is that if you have a photo editing program you can easily copy/paste templates for your parts, without any fancy CNC programs etc.

Anyone else thinks this is a good idea? Sure some rules will need to be set for DPI-resolution, that models should contain both metric and imperial(?) measurements etc but I for one think it's a good idea.

8. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

I was "playing" with that in my mind many years ago. I tried to use PowerPoint (please don't laugh) to make a case-design, a poor tool, but can do for a rough sketch up (I actually used PowerPoint when I designed and buildt a bunked-bed for my kids.. ;)).

But absolutley, it would be a valuable tool when designing cases! :thumb:

9. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

I've hand-drawn schematics using only a ruler to measure parts and it's a PITA, so even power-point would be a step-up from that. But I figure that Google Layout or some thing similar must be ideal for making the templates I'm talking about.

10. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

Here's a sample:
    [​IMG]

11. ryanexiled

ryanexiled What's a Dremel?

not found looking for bar spacing between pci slots for building custom case
    :confused::waah:

12. fateshammer

fateshammer What's a Dremel?

13. 006409

006409 What's a Dremel?

Okay well all I can say is that I think between everyone in this thread there is an awful lot of useful information. From going from Google search to Google search I’ve dragged up allot of information, mainly on the ATX front but I believe I now have enough information to have a good shot at having the mounting holes lined up with the SR2 as well.

One thing I seem to not be able to find is information on the E-ATX, for the rampage IV. If anyone can point me in the right direction id appreciate it. Also then i'd be able to add it into the information in the backplate layout.

With the information I’ve gotten I drawn up the layout of the motherboard backplate and where the mounting points should go. If anyone wants the CAD versions of them, just message me with what format you want them in and I’ll send them over.

I’ve also got the PCI layout along with the IO area but I want to check that these align before I give out the wrong thing. :/

Apart from that if anyone needs any more info I’ll do my best to post it.

[​IMG]

The smaller red box is ATX with the bigger being SR2.

If anyone spots a mistake then please feel free to point it out so i can make inprovements.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2012
    Cheapskate likes this.
  14. Sutura

Sutura What's a Dremel?

That topic is awesome, together with the SketchUp library. I want to post a small request though. If someone has the time, can you make a schematic(?) of the rear side (i/o shield and bracket) of a mini-ITX low-profile>? I also have one question. How is the height of the stand-offs calcualted? I mean in CM elite 360/361 e.g they are shorter than in a standrad ATX case. How is that realted to the location of the I/O shield, since the length of the brackets is the always the same? (nevermind I saw it in document in the previous posts) :)

Last edited: 22 Mar 2012
  15. 006409

006409 What's a Dremel?

Okay, basically i pulled the specs from across the web but most importantly from hear; http://www.formfactors.org/ . Quite simply by the looks of it its a subsidiary of Intel as in the disclaimer it them. The doc is called 'developer_specs_atx2_2' from 'http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5Catx2_2.pdf' Hopefully that helps.
    That’s what my guide dimensions are based on, but, it seems that there’s a mini-ITX version just for you. 'http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CMini_ITX_Spec_V2_0.pdf' Hopefully that will help you out. :D

Schematic wise, I’ve only done a ATX/E-ATX version, BUT they should be similar with little in the way of change other than the PCI slots are lower. In all my designs I’ve taken into consideration 9.5mm standoffs, with this in mind I hope that you’ll be able to mod it to how you want.

[​IMG]
    Above is an image of the I/O area face on as though you we’re in the case. All dimensions are from the ATX specs cross checked with as many cases as I could get my hands on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully this helps :) :D

16. yoishiro

yoishiro What's a Dremel?

17. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

This is all really helpful, it beats trying to measure the dimensions off of my own pc.
    Now I just have to work out how to use google sketch up

18. yoishiro

yoishiro What's a Dremel?

now i need/want a real motherboard tray , not just a rectangle with holes lol if no one makes it , ill make it and share it :)

btw , u should try solidworks , i maybe sound cocky but ...

i started with 3ds Max , then i jumped to Sketchup because it was "easy" to make stuff , but find it kinda constricted , i mean , u can do a "box" but u have to make like 4 steps , in solidworks its just a button and u set how much thickness the wall going to be and kabam! got a box like part

the downside of SW is that , there arent many parts to make mockups .

[​IMG]

19. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Thanks just what I was looking for have rough cut out the io shield hole on my custom mobo tray now to work out the standoff position in relation to the io shield plate space the end where the ps2 onboard ports are normally positioned how do people normally drill the holes ? with a radial arm drill press or just by eye using a power drill?:clap::

20. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Tried downloading the specs for the 5.25 bay cage but getting error 404 anyone got a live link?

Tags: