1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What is a good TV that's similar to my IPS monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siwini, 23 Mar 2012.

1. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Hi everyone,

I haven’t own a TV probably in over 5 years now. I always used monitors in the past, but now I need one. It’s obvious that I’m way pass due on this LED/PLASMA (and now I hear about these smarttv’s ) battle so I need your help. I want the picture to be perfect and clear- similar to my IPS monitor if possible (or at least the closest I can). I don’t want big/huge pixels either on display. Obliviously quality has to be there too.

Here’s the two I’m currently looking at. You’re thought please.

Samsung 6300LED SONY HX729

Last edited: 23 Mar 2012
  2. Deders

Deders Modder

A large screen TV will always have larger pixels, but then it is designed for being viewed from the other end of the room.

Edit: It's good that you found a Sony at such a discount, usually their TV's are very overpriced considering you can sometimes get the same panel in much cheaper brands. Not sure if they would have all the extra features though.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

You won't get a TV which is equivalent to your IPS monitor in terms of picture quality for any reasonable price, just getting that out of the way now.

Pixel density is going to be low on any TV, the ones worth buying are all 1920x1080 res so you can't avoid that 'large' pixel size.

Plasmas have better color quality than LCD TVs (don't call them LEDs for the love of god), but you get issues like power consumption, fading, burn-in, etc. They're being slowly phased out in favor of the ever-improving LCD. I would've bought a plasma for sure if this was 3-4 years ago, but now it's not such an easy choice. If only Pioneer still sold the Kuros...

A smart TV is pretty much just a TV some built in HTPC capabilities like streaming video and possibly an internet browser. Could be useful depending on what you need, for me these features are useless.

I wouldn't just go out and buy a random TV from a store, they go on sale all the time.

Check out the Slickdeals TV section. You can always find great deals on TVs there.

AVSforum is great to read to learn about TVs, check it out.

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

That's like saying two computers share the same motherboard. The panel alone does not determine the quality of the picture.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Kind of what I meant by extra features

6. Fungalist

Fungalist What's a Dremel?

Is burn-in still an issue these days? I've abused a couple of the big panny plasmas and nothing bad has happened.

From my (very simplistic) point of view if you plan to game on it or watch a lot of sport go plasma. For anything else, and especially if the room is bright, go lcd.

7. trig

trig god's little mistake

burn-in isn't an issue...you can do it if you try to lol...but you'd have to really try...i snatched a samsung pn51d8000 on the cheap a few months ago, and it is amazing...defo go with a high quality plasma...

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

That samsung model is quite nice and has an SPVA panel. It's so nice my father bought 2 of them. While the smart features may be a little underwhelming compared to a full blown htpc, it is sufficient for light browsing and being able to plug in a usb drive for direct playack of some of the most common file types like m4v and avi is plenty for his uses.
    Picture looks very good, nice colors and deep black. Has several modes including one that is 1:1 pixel mapping if you do want to use it with a PC.
    After I helped him do quite a bit of research it did come out on top for best picture on a tv with smart features. There are some LG and Toshiba that had a slightly better looking picture that use SIPS, but without the extra features and hundreds of dollars more.
    I think the samsung is a good buy, and with my experience with it would recommend it.

9. trig

trig god's little mistake

:thumb:

10. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Wow thank you! Some good useful knowledge +rep

11. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

No bleeding problems? I read few reviews on Amazon and seems like it's a big turn off.

Also what you thing about SAMSUNG 8000 model. It's the newest right? Is it SPVA or SIPS? Thanks!

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I have not observed any bleeding issues on either of them, on blacks it is dark-dark, but I haven't spent loads of time with them either. I also made sure they were properly set up, unlike many people that just take it out of the box and plug it in and say it looks terrible without calibration. I'm pretty sure it's SPVA, though have seen some sources list them as MVA.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, most TV's are set to 'demo, ultra bright' settings by default, so thats why they get bad bleed through when you first get them...