1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The paracord thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, 13 Jul 2010.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

After reading a bit in the "latest purchases" thread is seems like there are several people that enjoy making stuff with paracord.

I figured I'd make a new thread where we can all share ideas and our creations. :)

I'll start of with a couple of pictures of my guitar strap (as seen in the latest purchases thread).

Front
    [​IMG]

back
    [​IMG]

It's a double cobra knot (that I thought I made up myself, but later discovered that it had been done before) with 10 cords in each "side" as filling. (To get it wide enough).

IIRC the cord usage was about 55:1 (55 meters of cord to make a one meter of strap).

For all you beginners out there I would recommend Stormdrane's blog. Lots of ideas and guides there to start you off.

If people want I could try to make some guides.

Akava likes this.
  2. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Nice idea for a thread, and nice strap. I look forward to getting some ideas of things to make.

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nice thread idea indeed! I'll take pics of some stuff I've made tomorrow in good light :) I'm running low on paracord at the moment, as well as 18650 and CR123 batteries. I feel a lighthound order coming on ;)

Last edited: 20 Mar 2012
  4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

You guys are just looking for ways to spend more money, aren't you? :p

I'm going to order a few hundred feet and see what comes up :thumb:

5. stonedsurd

You guys are just looking for ways to spend more money, aren't you? :p

I'm going to order a few hundred feet and see what comes up :thumb:

6. st33ljaws

st33ljaws What's a Dremel?

Have you made a tutorial? I haven't been able to find that braid anywhere! I would like to make this.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I never did post my pics! I'll do it this evening when I get in.

Steeljaws; The pattern in the picture above is a variation of a weave called the Wide Solomon Bar. Here's a good tutorial on how to weave the regular version of it:

I wouldn't mind a link to a tutorial on your type of double wide Cobra Stitch, Smilodon. That variation makes a very nice guitar strap :)

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That's awesome!

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

The tying pattern is the same, but there is only one colored line, not two. The video shows two black and two white. I used one yellow and three black. To achieve this, simply splice a black and colored cord and hide the splice in the "starting knot".

If you want to make a strap you will need more filling, though. as you see in the video, they have only one cord in the center of the knot on each side. On my strap I used six cords on each side. (use one long piece and loop it several times in the buckles of the strap. 8-12 complete loops should be sufficient. (Make a test piece first to figure out how wide you want it)

Oh, and a word of warning: Don't tie it too tight. If you do, the strap will be very stiff.

10. st33ljaws

Thanks man!

11. st33ljaws

When you say,"there is only one colored line, not two. The viedeo shows two black and two white." What do you mean by one colored line and two white.

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

In the video you can see that there are six cords. Two of them act as the core of the entire knot. (both white) The remaining four are two black and two white.

In the guitar strap I had a total of 24 cords. 20 of them were in the core, and the remaining four cords were used to make the actual knots like shown in the video.

The core can be made from anything. you could even put the braid around a couple of steel rods if you wanted to. (Actually, the normal cobra braid is a great way of making a tool grips.

Teelzebub likes this.
  13. stonedsurd

Oh crap. I had made a keychain (lazy, I know) for my apartment keys but since I left the states, the keys and their keychain are in a box somewhere in LA.

Time to order some more and get cracking, I suppose. :dremel:

14. st33ljaws

Thanks man, makes sense now.

15. st33ljaws

Where can you find the clip thingy that connects the strap to the guitar?

16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I simply bought a cheap nylon strap and cut off the ends.

On the second strap I made i cut out some squares from 4mm hard aluminum.

17. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

LOL....

How to make a guitar strap in three easy steps:

1. Buy guitar strap and cut of the strap part to keep the clips on each end.
    2. Weave super cool looking knot out of paracord into the harvested clips from 1.
    3. Profit..... ???

Only a modder would buy a guitar strap so he can cut it in pieces to make another guitar strap.

:D :thumb:

Teelzebub likes this.
  18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

The guy in the music store asked if i wanted the receipt. He looked a bit funny at me when i answered that I was just going to cut it into pieces.

Oh, on that note, if you want to have an adjustable strap you need to keep one end of the strap. You probably won't be able to feed the braid through the adjustable bucke if it's only made to accommodate a 2mm thick belt.

19. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

I bet you the look you got wasn't as funny as the one I get whenever I go to the store and walk out of there with a can of acetone, 4 tubs of vaseline, some chop sticks, duct tape, a few rolls of paper towels and some dry ice. :D One time the cashier did ask what I was getting all that for and the look got even weirder once I told her I like to freeze my computer with dry ice to make it go faster.

20. st33ljaws

What do you mean you like to freeze your computer to make it go faster.....:confused:

How would you finish the strap. Like would you tie it off or burn it to fuse it or what?
    :confused:

How would you end the braid?

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Mar 2012