1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Looking for custom bootloader/OS Selection...

Discussion in 'Software' started by g2tegsown, 26 Mar 2012.

1. g2tegsown

g2tegsown What's a Dremel?

Just wondering if anyone knows of a custom bootloader that would be capable of doing the following...

Here's the setup I have a machine that has 3 hard drives, each hard drive has a different OS (Ubuntu, Windows and OSX 10.6). What I want to do is load a bootloader onto a flash drive and then have the machine boot to the flash drive. Then it would load a GRAPHICAL loader where I could select the "icon" based on the OS and it would boot to the correct hard drive.

Does anything like this exist? I know GRUB can do something like this but it's not cool looking... And I want cool damn it lol

Thanks for your time :)

2. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I used to use the Chimera bootloader to select between OS X & Windows; it was actually part of the process of installing OS X on a PC.

You mention that the machine has OS X.... Is this a real Mac or a "hackintoshed" PC? If it's a "hackintoshed" machine, have a look at the TonyMac blog - I think it's pretty much the "home" of this bootloader. If it's a real Mac, I'm not sure how you'd fare with Chimera...

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

BURG. It can be a bit of a pain to install / get working correctly though. Its just a nice front end for grub2. If you spend the time to make sure grub2 is configured perfect first you will have a lot less problems. I would definitely advise making your linux disc primary and installing it there. Also installing through burg-manager rather than the base burg package makes things a lot easier.

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

+1 - plenty of cool-looking themes for BURG IIRC.