1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Hardcore Tactical Shooter

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by vdbswong, 14 Mar 2012.

1. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Hey,

Don't know how many of you guys have seen this, but I couldn't see a thread for it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter?ref=live

It's been around for a while

Basically, one of the lead gameplay designers for Halo: Reach and GRAW2 wants to make a Tactical Shooter.

Now I know I can't be the only one that this sounds interesting to, but they're not really anywhere near their goal at the moment ($33k out of $200k).

So, any thoughts?

2. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

Think they'll need to extend the deadline for the $200k target! Unless someone with a hell of a lot of influence backs the project and gets a load of followers to do so.

The concept is fantastic, unfortunately I believe that there isn't enough demand for this sort of game, the majority are satisfied with MW3/BF3 and couldn't really care about realism, apart from the graphics... It would be lovely to see but honestly can't see it taking off unfortunately!

3. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Believe it when I see it - both them getting enough money to make a decent FPS, and a truly hardcore modern shooter.

As far as I'm concerned, the tactical squad based sub-genre peaked with games like Hidden & Dangerous and the early Rainbow 6 games etc... but then they died out as quickly as the popped up. It was like a few years of glory and then gone. Now we are back to the usual run n gun, shoot from the hip games. I'm not even sure if there is much of an audience for a game like those old ones these days. I imagine the average modern gamer would be totally lost without an ez-cover system and hand holding galore. But maybe...

Also, as far as I'm concerned, that genre might have died out but there is one exception which has gone from strength to strength, and that is Arma2. That game is so big it provides almost whatever you want. If you want urban squad based hardcore combat, then you can have it. But it also lets you do it over a gigantic battlefield the size of a small country, and you can also fly choppers and jets and tanks and stuff too... Not only that but they are making Arma3 which looks like it's going to improve on what they already have, so I can't see myself ever being interested in playing some new GRAW type game these days, when Arma3 is my alternative.

4. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

To be honest, I was thinking that the ArmA crowd might be the ones interested.

I liked ArmA2, but the problem was that Operation Arrowhead screwed up MP imo... going from everyone in a squad to everyone commanding a squad. Not really what i was looking for, especially since we found ArmA2's coop to be so fun... well, the parts that worked at least.

The premise just reminded me of when we used to play SWAT4 and plan out what we were going to do to assault a room and who'd take what target after using the Optiwand thing.

And yes, i'm focusing on coop because that was the thing that hooked me most.

5. rogerrabbits

Well I would be up for some squad based co-op for sure. I did that in SWAT4 too, and I think the best I played was probably in the first Rainbow Six game. (Or Raven Shield or whatever).

The thing with Arma2 is that it's so powerful, I think it could do anything. It bugs me because there isn't as much variety as there should be. The majority of players somehow manage to be snooty dicks while being entirely unimaginative. But still, I've spent 10 minutes throwing together a co-op mission with just a village full of enemies and a few tanks and stuff, and then I've played it with a bunch of random people in multiplayer, where we all assault the village. It's some of the most fun I've ever had in the game! I just wish there was more of that kind of thing. But maybe Arma3 will do a better job.

But either way, it would be nice for another one to be in the market. Competition and choice is nice. I wish them the best.

6. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

Gave it a few bucks myself. Interested in seeing where it goes. I've paid more for worse games so we'll see.

7. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I backed it. Its a great idea takes me back to the SWAT4 days...Oh how i wish they would make another SWAT game. Doesnt look like its going to get backed tho which is really disapointing.

8. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

More hardcore than ARMA or AA

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Sent a few of your English pounds their way.

Looks like a nice companion for Arma 2/3 - I hope it gets the backing it needs. Lead on PC is good, follow up on consoles not so sure about as they would have to compromise right from the start. I am not a console hater ( I own several!) but to do this properly needs the power of the PC right from the start.

Not many games like this, too many instant gratification, frag fest, QTE, Cinematic, Corridor shooters. I wish them well.

10. will_123

They updated there video after alot of hassle. Still doesnt look like its going to get the backing tho...

Linky

11. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Its a cool vid as well

Posted on here for the people who don't leave bit-tech much.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Now, someone needs to do this for a Space Combat Sim, they'd have my savings in minutes.

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Looks like the better page and layout are getting more press and supporters.

It's jumped by about $35K since I first posted this thread, with ~$20K being in the past 2-3 days.

Final push!

Tell friends, family etc. :p

14. will_123

Haha i know! Would love for this to go ahead.

15. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

$195K

3 Hours Left.

GO GO GO!

:D

EDIT:

Whoop Whoop! ;D.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2012
  16. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

$202k, seems like to go ahead then :)

17. Canon

Canon Reformed

The guy wearing a milspec monkey t-shirt in the background has restored my faith somewhat.

But I won't be happy with a shooter until I can pick every single bit of gear for my character, right down to wether or not he has a wedding ring.

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Excellent news. It will be interesting to see what happens next!

19. rogerrabbits

Omg they did it \o/

20. will_123

This has put me in the mood for SWAT 4! Going to hunt it down in my collection and get her installed!