1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Prometheus

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 22 Dec 2011.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

2. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep and the curious thing is that at about 2:12 on this one the figure jumping down is on fire, the US trailer has the same scene but he isn't on fire. However I reckon this is simply down to the film censors and what is allowed in that particular country rather that anything concerning the plot.

3. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

Personally I'm really looking forward to it. Would love to see more of the space jockey race and also have a bit more back story on the Weyland Corp.

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Doubt it, he has been quoted as saying this isn't a reboot ( would be nice, but only with a strong director and truly brilliant scripts- no comic-fan boys allowed whom ruined the AVP films ), it's just a spinoff / one off set before the first alien film.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2012
  5. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

6. Snips

I'm not saying it's a reboot. It's the story before Alien which will explain the Alien is engineered for a purpose and no queen was ever needed in it's life cycle, leaving everything after Alien as rubbish.

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm looking forward to it. :D

8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Watched Alien today and was geeking out over how the two films relate based on the trailer. I'm guessing that the Alien DNA is in fact mixed with human or android and that the warning picked up by the Nostromo was put is place by the two survivors of the alien ship crash on LV 426. There is a quick flash of a constellation on a monitor just after Lambert plays the message and there are similarities to the pictogram in Prometheus!

Either way, I'm certainly horny for this movie!

9. SuicideNeil

Nah- the warning picked up in Alien is in some bizzare ( space jockey? ) language- the scene in the film when the crew listens to the message was cut out, but appears in the Quadrilogy box set on an 'extras' disc.

All the Alien films are canon I'm afraid, just because a prequel comes along an potentially alters the story, doesn't mean that the later films are suddenly to be discarded as it were. Look at batman- the older films are their own little series / universe, the new films are entirely separate, just based on the same ( comic book ) material.

Besides, there are rumblings that what happens in Prometheus doesn't happen on LV426- the topography of the planet is totally different, the ship looks different ( updated is one thing, but there is a lot about the inside & outside that doesn't even come close to matching up to what you see in Alien ) and did you see any wreckage of the prometheus ship near by to the Alien ship in the first film?...

*dun dun dun*

10. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Here is a point raised by a recent interview by Ridley Scott, he said something along the lines of "the film would challenge our perceptions of reality". Whether that relates to time travel, dimension travel or what is very much open to debate. However one thing I do see getting mentioned quite a bit on some forums (IMDb springs to mind here) is the use of a wormhole, possible this is how Prometheus is able to get to the alien planet (which may or may not be LV-426). Whether or not the notion of a wormhole is based on any fact about the film or is guesswork on the part of someone is a question I don't have an answer for.

One thing I would like to throw into the debate is that there is a general assumption that the Prometheus rams the alien ship to stop it getting to earth. What if its the other way about and someone is infected on Prometheus and the alien ship rams them in order to stop them from escaping?

11. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Watched the 2003 directors cut earlier today. Now watching "the beast within" and seeing some of the original script and screenplays with references to urns and a second ship.

Granted, the star system they originally locate and land on lv426 may not be the first planet that Prometheus lands on but, given that the time difference between Prometheus and Alien may be a number of years and due to the vicious storms (and the fact that we've not seen the aftermath of the space croissant crashing/ earthquakes/ volcanos etc) the landscape may have changed.

Oh, and the music from Prometheus trailer is at the beginning of the documentary from 2003. I might not be able to wait!!!

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

My guess - The biomechanoids are a race of biological engineers who created the human race, amongst others. When the Prometheus arrives on their home planet carrying artificial life, the human race is seen as a threat and the action ensues. However, like all Holywood aliens, they lose...Hence the development of a new bio-weapon:

[​IMG]

13. SuicideNeil

By Jove, I think you're onto something. We see the woman shouting into her intercom that 'they have to stop it, or they'll be no home to go back to'- what if she's talking to the pilot in the Alien ship, and it's Prometheus that has been 'compromised' because one or more crew has an actual Alien inside them?

Dammit, I need to see this movie NOW...

14. Snips

This is the planet the Nostromo landed on. This is part of Alien without question. Comparing this to Batman and Robin and Batman Begins isn't right since this IS linked to Alien. We'll find out what happens to the Prometheus in the movie and let's not forget, the company wakes up the Nostromo to investigate knowing full well what potentially is already there. Yes the planet has blue skies in Prometheus but there are shots in the trailers and tv spots showing it changing. Who knows, they may cause the mass destruction that devastates the planet surface that we finally see in Alien.

15. SuicideNeil

You don't know that- no one knows that until they watch the film.

Scott has already been quoted as saying the only 'link' is the company, Wayland Yutani being involved- it still doesn't alter the fact that canon cannot be erased just because you don't the later films.

16. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Passing off your opinions as facts - I love the internet! The only thing that is clear from your posts is that you hate James Cameron and therefore convey your hatred by slating his Alien film.

I personally think Aliens and Terminator 2 are two of the best films ever made! The directors cut of both are immense!

Can't wait for prometheus, the trailers are looking good!

17. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I just wish they'd actually used the AVP novels (Prey/Hunter's Planet) for the AVP film(s). Would have been so much better...

18. Snips

Passing off your opinion as a shouty bully? I love the internet too.

You've had many conflicting quotes from Ridley Scott since the very first press release saying he is returning to direct the prequal to Alien and then his next press release saying it's a whole new story and not related to Alien in anyway.

You then have an interview with Rafe Spall saying it's definantly part of the franchise but he recieved emails explaining what he can and can't say but forgot to read them.

http://youtu.be/UVs5BpxhG84

http://youtu.be/MYL0Sk5E5MU

You only have to watch the trailers to see this is exactly the story of the derelict, the look of the planet towards the end of the trailers shows it to be more dark and barren with severe weather conditions, just like in Alien. The position of the derelict falling down and crashed on the surface also adds weight to it being a direct prequal to Alien. The odds of the company knowing of another crashed derelict on a planet that looks similar to the one at the end of the trailer and having a caven under the derelict with the exact same structure filled with the bioengineered specimen and having a "space jockey" dead at the crontrols?

As for Cameron, I actually enjoyed Dances with Smurfs...er I mean Pocahontas...er I mean planet of the blue man group...er I mean Ferngully

Sorry I just lied there, I've seen better "EPIC" scenery in any game released in the last 5 years than the "STUNNING" and "BREATHTAKING" visuals in Avatard. He really did pull that script, plot, direction straight from uphisbuttanium!

19. SuicideNeil

And yet Avatar was the highest grossing film of all time; says it all really.

Stop getting you knickers in a twist and just wait until Prometheus hits the cinemas, then we'll all be clued up properly rather than working on guesses & assumptions.

20. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

^^^ What he says!