1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 680 and 3d Vision?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by feathers, 29 Mar 2012.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV73shxh6_Q&feature=player_embedded#!

Being a video it's a crappy way to get facts due to annoying voice and shaky cam etc.

I currently run 2 x 560Ti 1gb as mentioned many times... I also run 1080 3d monitor and play almost all my games with 3d glasses.

So the question I want to ask is whether I can run 3d vision on my games with a single 680 at 1080. Now I should say, I don't expect or need to run ultra settings when I play a game with 3d glasses. Quite happy to reduce the settings to High. When I play a game in 2d I can increase to Ultra.

I should also state that I can't accept a drop in FPS below 60.

The guy in the video is stating that the 680 incurs less of a performance hit with 3d glasses than previous gen GPU's...

For the 680 users here... do you have an estimate of what performance I could get with BF3 on High detail with 3d glasses?

There would be no point in me selling my 560Ti and getting a 680 if I then couldn't even play 3d glasses with High detail at a minimum of 60 fps.

As things are now I can run be assured of not having fps drop below 60 with 3d glasses on BF3. The only game that really crushes my setup with 3d glasses is Hard Reset.

Also found this...

"I'm skipping the 680's and waiting for better cards. A user on the Nvidia Forums just installed 680's in SLI for 3D Vision. Compared to his GTX 580's in 3D, Battlefield 3 gets an Average of 42 FPS on Ultra 1080P. His 680's get 55 FPS on Ultra. Still not reaching the cap of 60 FPS per eye. To me, it's not a huge upgrade from what I already have."

I guess that shockingly demonstrates the extra burden the Ultra imposes on a GPU!!

Even 2 x 680 won't give u 60 fps it seems.

I am happy to run High settings as I do now and even reduce AA. Of course the 680 has the new AA modes so they might be good.

So I just wonder if I can get a min of 60 fps with 3d glasses on high settings........

Last edited: 29 Mar 2012
  2. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

If I remember rightly 3d games can only run upto a maximum of 60FPS which is abit anoying. With 3d disabled you can achieve 120FPS.

When running in 3d you also get a big performace drop as much as 50% on some cards.

3. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

As for the dude with the SLIed 680's he may just require new drivers....whats the rest of his setup like? Something else may be bottle necking his setup.

Im not the best at this tbh but many factors can effect it.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I know you get a big performance drop. I run 3d vision but the point is there is less performance drop with 680. I was wondering if can get away with High settings bf3 with 3d glasses and not drop below 60. The fps will be locked at 60 with glasses on, that is not a problem, what's important is the GPU is powerful enough to prevent the fps from ever dropping below 60. I have that right now in SLI with my 2 x 560Ti. Just wondering if I can get it from a single 680 on BF3 set to high detail.

5. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

High Settings (Game used 1.7GB max of VRAM)

Min, Max, Avg
    33, 59, 43.674

That's in triple screen, so I know it's not going to help massively, but I would say it should be able to manage 60 on high, single screen?

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

For triple monitor that is impressive. I must ask if that is typical of a 64 player map with close to 64 players? A map like firestorm or Damavand Peak?

7. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

If you want any specific games/benchmarks run I have a GTX680 and the 3D vision kit so can give you a good idea of what type of frames to expect.

Tried Crysis 2 so far which nets 45-50 fps with Extreme, high res textures DX11 etc but I tend to knock it down a step to very high and keep the textures/DX11 which gives a consistent 60fps which I prefer.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2012
  8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Sounds very promising so far. Not sure if I should ask you to test BF3 multi because generally that is one game I play in 2d for accuracy. 3d incurs a brightness drop which I find makes it harder to react to stuff happening around me although not sure why cos I have no probs with other games in 3d.

Maybe need more brightness/gamma... I guess actually u could test BF3 multi on firestorm or damavand peak with 64 player map. Just to give an idea of the fps drop that would incur under the worst circumstances. Obviously u won't be running that on Ultra in 3d mode.

:)

9. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Unfortunately not - it's the most stressful single player mission - I can't recall what it is but most likely you will see a little lower FPS on a MP map.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Well that's not bad anyway for single player.

Currently on high settings I could run even the most stressful 64 in stereo 3d. But unlike you I can't run Ultra settings in 2d mode due to lack of GDDR.

Swings and roundabouts isn't it?

If I went 680, it may be good for me as it is for u. I dont need the 3d glasses for online play BF3 and u can run ultra no probs in 2d at 1080.

If I went 680 my in game power use would drop by half.

Maybe I will wait and have a think about it but what is clear is that the 680 is pretty good even with 3d glasses.