1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Looks alright, Picarro. Provided your shifter can be used in friction mode. Might shift a little weird, but it'll work. Worst case scenario is you'll have to get a new shifter with a finer ratchet.

Edit: this is in reply to your eBay links.

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'd be tempted to get a SRAM cassette but that's personal preference they are a bit cheaper for the same quality level
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6388

Wheelset is pretty good for the money I've been running it all year and they're still pretty straight despite Edinburgh's moon scape.

Every thing else should be fine

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Okay I've switched the casette and the bottom bracket as I just measured my bike and I need one which is 68x113 which the current model isn't. Is it okay for me to use a 9sp derailleur for an 8sp casette?

Edit: Realised I can keep asking questions here: I obviously need a crank puller but will something like this do: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40756 or do I need something like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38068

Last edited: 29 Mar 2012
  4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

OMG finally thought maybe my head is saving after all and bought something for the summer:

[​IMG]

Atleast on quick test it feels comfy and light enough that I might actually also USE it.. Now I only need a new bike or a shitload of parts to make riding truly enjoyable again.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

If your only going to change it once then just get your lbs (local bike shop) to do it, odds are its stuck on there good and tight you're going to need a big tool and work stand to get it out. Take some biscuits in and get to know them with an older bike you may become good friends :D.

Rear mech will be fine you'll probably have to use your shifters in friction mode any way.

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

That derailleur/cassette combination should be fine; manufacturers do it all the time on mid to low-end bikes. Insofar as crank pullers are concerned, the first link you provided is a self-extracting bolt which isn't what you're looking for. The second one will serve you well for what you need, though a bit of advice: always make sure that the tool is fully engaged and tightened down into the crank arm before you apply the central extractor spindle.

7. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

So glad my mate told me to always ride with a spare inner.... otherwise I would have been stuck on the ring road!

[​IMG]

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Finally got some time to do some work on the bike.

New tyres are on, as is the new chainset, chain and subtle pedals.

As I don't have a proper workstand I improvised a little.

[​IMG]

9. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

Changed the rear XR4 for a 2.1" XR2 yesterday, also removed the tubes and went tubeless. Stan's rims + Bontrager TLR tires = piece of delicious cheesecake.

No soapy water, no air compressor, no tire levers, nothing. Just straight on the rim, standard floor pump, up to 35psi and both popped straight onto the bead and sealed straight away.:rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still haven't cut the steerer yet as I haven't been out on her for over a week...

10. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Any reason your front fork is backwards ?

11. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

Reverse arch, just the way they went with the design, all DT Swiss forks are the same. ;)

12. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

are those DMR greaseport pedals?

(also nice halfords tool kit :p )

13. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Thanks Malvolio.

Just looking in to them now. Forgot to mention that my bike has disc brakes and that seems to be an issue looking through some of the questions that are asked on product pages but carrying out my research.

Anyway the search goes on and I'll update once I've made the purchase.

14. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Your brake system doesn't enter into it, as the trainer doesn't have anything to do with that! Rather you're encouraged to disconnect your brakes altogether to avoid issues with tyre-shredding. I can with some authority state that any trainer that mounts to your axle will not be hindered or compromised by disk brakes.

15. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Had my Giant Terrago since new in 2006, a fairly cheap entry level bike which i've slowly upgraded over the years.

[​IMG]
    This was after a few months of owning back in 2006, with Panaracer fire xc pro tyres, tubes and DMR V8 pedals (had these pedals on 4 bikes since 2003/4).

[​IMG]
    This is a picture from 2010, it hasn't changed much since then. Everything has been upgraded apart from: seat post, seat post clamp, front mech and the frame.

[​IMG]
    203mm front rotor on an XC bike, hate all you want its great and hasn't killed me or twisted my forks out of shape as I was told it would on the BikeRadar forum (used to be MBUK).

[​IMG]
    I have various rotors for these brakes so there's always to option to back to 180mm.

Its running hope brakes, stem, skewers and hubs. Almost a full XT chainset and some oldschool '04 MX Comps.

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Their actually Wellgo V8 copies i dismantled them and packed the properly with grease. Hey it may be cheap but it does it job well enough only thing it didnt have was an external BB spanner.

Can anyone recommend other places bar chain reaction cycles. hey are utterly infuriating. I ordered some bits Sunday at around half two and paid for next day delivery so expected them to come through on Tuesday. Theyve not even debited my account yet ive called them up no reply. Emailing them gets a lovely automated response saying it may be delayed by the royal mail. So nice attempt at passing the buck. Ive shopped with Wiggle a few times never had a problem but they dont have a huge range like CRC. Any suggestions?

17. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

18. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a good call tbh. I got the DMR pedals, not as great as they make out to be - I didn't read the reviews properly until after I got them but lots of people found that the bearings were tightened too much and worn down very quickly. Can be fixed by loosening the housing but if you're paying for these pedals expect them to get the torque right!

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I just swapped my 160 mm discs for 200's and the looks alone made all the difference :D Today I'm drinking my face off and have told everyone to just even once try the damn bike and see why I'm so extatic about the whole ordeal.

(so far one girl has said she really NEEEEEEEDS a bike and wands to learn how to bunnyhop like a drunken nerd... Could be worse)

20. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

I have just got my self a NEW bike. never had a new one before always bought used...

I have a question about disk breaks, when i was taking it out for the first time i noticed that the breaks weren't great and then i think i remember reading something about having to work in new disk breaks.

Not sure if i just made that up for my self... the do i need to take it back to the shop and ask them to check the breaks or work them in?