1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Phone goes for a cleansing swim.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 29 Mar 2012.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have a cheapo Samsung Tocco Lite and somehow it managed to remove itself from the belt pouch it usually resides and immerse itself in a sink full of soapy water. I have no idea how long it was under the water but on finding it I removed Sim card and battery gave it a good shake and stuck it on top of the hot water tank overnight.

This morning reassembled it is working fine and of course a lot cleaner.

Are phones not prone to failing these days after water immersion? or am I just lucky? By the way in every other way way it is a pretty rubbish phone but I now look at it with a little more respect.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its not an iphone so its fine lol :D

nah you were very lucky , same thing happened to my son and it killed his :(

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

That is pretty impressive, I have partially spilt stuff on my HTC desire and it still lives :)

The belt pouch though, that is not cool!

4. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

My dad recently dropped his Desire HD into his pint, couple of days left in rice with the battery and sim card removed and all is well. Still works aswell as before. :)

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have it on very good authority (granddaughter) I am long past the age of being cool. lol

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

But with the added Brewery smell.:D

7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

That must be hell!!!

*ring,ring*
    "Hello....man I want a pint..."

8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I had this crappy Nokia phone from work as basic as it comes, it went through the washing machine on a full cycle. Got it out took the battery and sim out stuck it on stop of radiator for a couple of hours, shook out all water before doing that and it worked. Screen was a little messed up but usuable :lol:

9. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

My mother put her cheap Samsung phone in the washing machine by accident. It took a long time to dry out fully (over a week) but is working normally again now, after some worrying screen corruption, flashing, and strange noises!

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've never given any of my phones a swim, but I have friends who seem prone to it. Phones down the toilet, phones dropped in pints of beer ect. They always work after, though not always without problems.

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

12. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

My dad spilt water into his Lenovo X120e a couple of months ago. The splash-proof keyboard did its job, and a short drying session and some isopropyl alcohol brought it back alive again.

I personally can't understand how it's possible to take your gadgets for a swim. Maybe I'm just really careful with my stuff...

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

LOL.

14. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I knocked a beer bottle over which was sitting on top of my case, many records were broken in my dash to switch off the ccomputer and unplug it from the mains.

Fortunately the only damage was a lovely stain along the side panel which I have yet to remove.

Theoretically, as long as the device is switched off when it's submerged and thoroughly dried before it's turned on again then here's no reason why it shouldn't work although in practice water can get trapped in tight spaces and it's also possible to get sediment buildup.

15. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I was using my HP Touchpad in the bath. Will probably use the new iPad in the bath also. Heck, that is what Home Insurance is for! Never dropped anything though. Son spilled a full pint of Orange Juice over my wireless Logitech mouse that, after a while made the buttons stick. ran the thing under a hot tap for five minutes, dried it off and am still using it now with no problems!

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have removed the keys from a keyboard and then scrubbed the thing in soapy water,keys went into a knotted pillow case in the washing machine,left to dry over a few days, working perfectly. One point though always best to take a couple of photos of key placement,saves an awful lot of bother in the long run.

I believe YouTube have videos of keyboards being cleaned in a dish washer which sounds a great idea. I only have a human dish washer and there is no danger her cleaning a keyboard along with the dinner dishes.LOL.

17. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Well, I can safely say that Bold 9780's dont like swimming :( ...mind...replaced it with a Galaxy S :D

JBond and PingPong like this.
  18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

It is quite possible to put a PSU in a dish washer and then dry it out and use it again. But you would have to be SO sure it was dry.

19. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

I dropped my old Nokia 3310 into a lake once and it absolutely destroyed it. It's a shame really, it was quite a nice lake :D :lol:

20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Blackberry down the toilet... where they belong frankly