1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Tricorder Project brings Star Trek to the classroom

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 30 Mar 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Good on 'im! Hope he gets the $10 million - he deserves it.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sadly, as it stands, the Tricorder Project isn't eligible for the Tricorder X-PRIZE. Qualcomm's aim is to develop a health-monitoring device, capable of detecting certain illnesses - and while the contactless thermometer and colorimeter on the Science Tricorder *might* work for those tasks, it's hardly what Qualcomm had in mind.

Still cool, tho'.

Waynio likes this.
  4. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

I've already built a working tricorder, but it only works on people wearing red shirts.

"He's dead Jim!" :p

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It is that. :rock:

6. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

LOL

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Damn it Jim....I'm just a Doctor! lol

On topic, it seems a good little device. If only he could make it scan people :(

8. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Hmm que a lawsuit from Apple on the very iOS-esque keyboard. Hopefully not since this is a very cool project but Apple seem to be in the habit of sueing everyone and his dog atm

9. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

>.<

Dang! My skim-reading skills led me down the wrong path. Re-read the article on my lunch. Shame, but still, he's a champion.

10. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Very cool project, in my limited universe I only need a multimeter to survive....

dunx

11. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I once got picked up by the Klingons

12. ZortB

ZortB What's a Dremel?

Was it painful :)

13. Dr Dark

Dr Dark What's a Dremel?

I like it..... its SHINY!

14. Dr Dark

Dr Dark What's a Dremel?

Just shows you though, how real world items are affected by "fiction" - ten or 15 years ago if we'd have said people would be able to interact with an electronic notepad like device, they'd have thought us nuts.... now, hello i-pad lol

15. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

that made me think of this

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not really. The first proper "tablet" computer was actually released around 10 years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_tablet_computers. The whole idea of a "tablet" computer actually goes back much further than that, but it's only in the last 5 years or so that the technology has reached a point where we can produce some really cool stuff. Early designs (that is, those from 10 years ago or so) were still quite cumbersome/weighty and had really poor battery life. Now we have much faster mobile processors which consume less and less power, and we have significantly moved on in battery technology.

As ever, Apple didn't really innovate: they took an existing product/idea, slapped their sheen/brand on it and claimed a revolution ;) :thumb:

Back OT though... It's really interesting how science fiction shapes the direction of actual science and technology. A very iPad-like device was first seen in 2001: A Space Odyssey, and now we have devices that do exactly what was shown in the film and more. We don't have spaceships or giant alien monoliths yet, but that's not the point. The tricorder is another perfect example.

To be honest, I hadn't actually realised that the Tricorder Project prototype was so functional - I'm going to have to go read up on this...

Tags: Add Tags