1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage NAS Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sp0rk, 2 Apr 2012.

1. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I need some kind of NAS to backup multiple computers and network-enable a printer.. I've been looking at Synology's offerings but have a few questions..

Does the NAS need to be connected via ethernet or can I use wireless?

Does it work with any USB printer or do I need to check specific protocols? It's a fairly modern HP..

Already got spare HDD's to put in it, just need to decide on a box now!

Cheers!

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

The synology ones do seem to be quite highly rated.

It would be a lot faster to be connected to ethernet and would highly recommend it as backing up over wireless would take ages.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

It doesn’t have inbuilt wireless, so it’d need to be connected via Ethernet.

Haven’t tried the printer part of it, but the rest of the software functions as described and with minimal setup, I’d say you’d almost certainly be fine if as you say, it’s a modern HP. I can highly recommend Synology NAS boxes, easily the best I’ve ever used.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

you can use USB wireless adaptors:
    http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?q_id=427

my Edimax adaptor worked well with my Ds410j until i got a longer cable. but being wireless, it is very slow. you really need to have gigabyte wire+router for the NAS to work and not be frustrating to use.

i've also not used printer, here's a not very up to date list of supported USB printers:
    http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?q_id=116&lang=enu

i've plugged in a cheap £1 ebay USB sound dongle, worked without problem, but being cheap Ebay dongle, there is a constant humming noise. i've also used USB wireless and works perfectly fine. USB flash drives also works brilliantly. so far, i've not had any problem with hardware recognition, so my educated guess is that it should work with your HP printer.

5. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys - my issue is that the printer/computer is in one room and the router (home hub) is in the kitchen.. in order to get wifi coverage everywhere in the house! I'll have to do some experimenting :)

6. wyx087

buy a second router preferably one that is in the DD-WRT database
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

then, connect your computer, printer and NAS together. have the 2nd router as wifi receiver from your primary homehub.

7. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Thinking about it.. the only issue is really getting the wifi to my computer upstairs so perhaps I could use those plug things instead of wifi?

8. Parge

Homeplug? They are utterly brilliant. The 200mbps ones offer the best bang for buck at the moment. I use it to stream 1080p content from my DS211j to my PC - something my wireless N connection could never handle.

9. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Does it matter if it went through an extension cable to my computer? Not entirely sure how it works..

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Best not to, just plug it into the wall socket and use a long network cable to reach your computer.

11. Parge

I use one with an extension socket. Works fine though you may see an impact on performance

12. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Ok - thanks guys. This could get expensive!

How easy would it be to connect the NAS to a cloud service, e.g. dropbox?

13. wyx087