1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Dual x8 560Ti 1gb SLI won't run Ultra on BF3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by feathers, 3 Apr 2012.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

What do you mean by Native SLI? I thought that's how all games worked when using AFR.

Feathers: using the shader based FXAA will be much less memory intensive than the usual MSAA.

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Can't do since one of the 560's has left the building and the other is due out over the next 24 flowers.

Ok, microstutter... would it apply to all games or only some on certain graphic settings? All my games ran fine on SLI except this one issue on BF3 ultra settings. I did find some games didn't work with SLI properly as with Shift 2 unleashed before the more recent patch you'd have 1 GPU at 99% and the other at 16%.

Trying to think of the best way of describing the BF3 SLI drop in FPS. On a busy map it would have whenever there was a lot going on, explosions etc and when I would spin around quickly with the mouse, the FPS would drop off sharply for about 2 or 3 seconds, then be ok for maybe 5 - 10 seconds, then drop off sharply to 20 fps, then back up to 60+ The drop was so bad and frequent that it made the game unplayable.

From what you say my issue wasn't microstutter.

"Also if a game does need more memory than the card can offer, some of the data will be swapped into the main memory via the PCIe bus, so having it run at 16x will make it less jerky than 8x in this situation. "

I don't know how my Asus mobo is in terms of PCIe performance. When I had my previous EVGA P55 mobo last year BF3 hadn't been released.

With the dual 560Ti setup I was playing Alan Wake, BF3 single player and most other games even with 3d glasses without issue at 1080. Alan Wake I was running maxed out with 3d glasses.

So I wonder if the new BF3 update has made it run better on ultra? I can't rightly remember if I tried BF3 online after the latest patch when I had the SLI...

It's all academic now since the SLI is out the door and I will be returning to single GPU.

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Interesting. I have had this nagging thought in my head since finding the single 560ti runs better than the SLI, that it was down to the dual x8.

When I had the SLI, disabling ALL AA made no difference! If I had textures on ultra and all other settings High, disabled AA, I would still get the massive FPS drops every nn seconds.

What shocked me was that even changing the res to 1280 x 768, I still couldn't run ultra on that SLI setup!

I think it's important to remember tha apart from BF3 ultra settings, the SLI worked with all other games very well. I was maxing out the graphics on most games and with the 3d glasses enabled. In the time I was running SLI since March last year I was impressed with it. With Crysis 2 maxed out with DX11 and HD textures I had no issues even playing it with 3d glasses.

So I don't want to scare people away from SLI. It just seemed to be BF3 and Ultra!

So I think we can say because of the 1gb GDDR and because of the massive mem requirement of BF3 ultra, the dual x8 was killing performance. When I relaxed the textures to High I could run 4 x AA or more and get very high FPS with no slowdown. I'd average 98 fps + on most maps.

So the SLI with most games worked very well.

1gb GDDR+BF3 Ultra+x8 x8 was just too much to handle.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

I've only noticed microstutter in a few games, most memorably was Just Cause 2 with the Nvidia only settings enabled, which would only be calculated on 1 GPU, meaning there was more latency involved on that GPU and the 2 cards weren't syncing as well as they would if they were both taking the same amount of time to calculate the frames.

This would happen to me with my old setup because I only had 512MB on each card and modern games with higher settings, especially with more textures were demanding more. I experimented myself at the time and found I could play some of these games better after removing one of my cards because the PCIe bus now running at 16x had twice the bandwidth to swap the graphics data too and from the video and main memory.

Probably irrelevant in this case, I'd hope Asus's implementation is better than Asrock's
    Alan wake doesn't use that much video memory, does using 3d glasses put more of a strain on video memory or GPU? I'd presume the latter.

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Well I'm pleased it's finally all becoming clear now.

3d glasses more a strain on GPU I believe.

6. TobletDanillio

TobletDanillio Minimodder

so what are you replacing you cards with?

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Quad SLI GTX 260.

8. TobletDanillio

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

He's joking TobletDanillio, you can't even do quad SLI on 260s :hehe:

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

bf3 on ultra at 1080 is what i want more power in the gfx department for and although there's probably many people who've not shared your experience, i'd sure be one of the unlucky few who get a problem. Although my mobo has 3 pci-e x16 sluts, i'd also have to get a new psu which would be another £120 at least, and would be bigger than my current hx620 which would ruin an idea i had for it's orientation. i'll be getting a 670Ti instead of the 2 480's i was going to.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Your typo made me laugh.

I guess 2 x 480's would be good if you have the 3 x16 sluts, but if you're concerned about expense of new PSU and power consumption then I guess 670.

12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Well they are sluts! they'll take anything in their cavernous buckets, the dirty batches.:naughty:

13. TobletDanillio

:( I don't know much about SLI thats mean

14. noizdaemon666

I wasn't trying to be mean, I just wanted to point out that you may have missed feathers joke :)

Completely off topic, your sig is slightly wrong TobletDanillio, it says you have a P9P67 Pro, I think it should read P8P67 Pro ;)

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I need more sluts on my asus.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

1 x 680 can bf3 ultra 1920x 1080

Microstutter is still quiet heavy if your pushing the gpus too much. If you said high was fine, then the likely hood is one of the nvidia settings was only been rendered on one card instead of 2

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Careful you don't make your asus sore.

The_Crapman likes this.
  18. TobletDanillio

o yeah I will fix that in a min thanks :)
    I didn't mean you but I meant feathers
    I didn't really want this board the one I wanted was hard to find as ebuyer stopped selling is and scan never did it

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

As far as I was aware, microstutter was momentary stuttering with each stutter lasting milliseconds with the FPS at full but just with very slight regular stutter. I have seen that a few times on my system but I also know that used to be caused by Everest vista sidebar utility polling and updating every n-seconds.

I never had much in the way of microstutter. Gaming was generally smooth, very smooth.

20. noizdaemon666

Yeah fps wouldn't drop if it was microstutter. I don't think it would have been the 8x bandwidth. Maybe some sort of error in the driver somewhere? /clutching at straws