1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Idle temps can't possibly be right + Kaput under Intel Burn Test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 5 Apr 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Got an i5 2300 sitting under a Scythe SCSK-1100 cooler and I'm staring at it idling at 31*c. That can't possibly be right. The cooler is exposed to open air(case lid off) and sitting on Arctic Cooling MX-2 paste. Under Intel Burn Test the graphics fizzle out (i5's integrated graphics) and the screen is a hash of static with the actual graphics output barely visible under that but the computer seems to have frozen. However it can complete a few passes before that happens and load temps don't seem to go above 60*c before it all goes to hell. Could we possibly have gotten one with a bad graphics die? It's in a 2u rackmount case with about 5mm to spare above the cooler's fan. It idles at 36*c with the lid on. I'm in the process of drilling holes in the case for it to breath better, but it will still do the graphics going haywire thing with the lid off.

Cooler here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185097

Any help would be appreciated.

I can try it with a dedicated graphics card, would that help both lower temperatures and stop the breaking under IBT?

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Is the cooler making proper contact? Make sure the pins are going all the way through the mobo?

Are you sure the CPU is 100% working?

3. Mac_Trekkie

The cooler is definitely secured properly, I can't push the pins in any further and it's perfectly level with the motherboard. Unfortunately I don't have another LGA 1155 computer to test the CPU with.

4. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

The temps seem reasonable I guess, is it overclocked, and what's your ambient room temperature there?

I've got the 2500K clocked to 4.4 GHz (no extra voltage) cooled by a ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme, and that runs in the high 20's to low 30's at idle, depending on room temperature in the range of about 19-24 C. Full load is mid to high 50's.

I've never tried stress testing the integrated graphics though, the most they get used for is driving a secondary monitor and no gaming.

5. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

isnt the idle temp irrelevant with these chips? What I mean is that no matter what the overclock is then the idle temp will always revert back to a standard temp because the multiplier drops when full power is not required?

6. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

In general yes it will drop, but not necessarily to the same level as it would with no overclock - it depends if you modify the voltage, and if you disable any of the features in the BIOS to do with power saving, sleep states etc...

I know for high overclocks many people swear by disabling these features for the sake of stability, personally I prefer to just go for the best overclock I can manage without disabling them and with no extra voltage (or maybe just a little extra...)

7. boltonuk007

but the voltage wont be used when idle anyway. it will call upon that voltage when needed? correct me if im wrong

8. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Again, it depends on the BIOS options. In general it will reduce to a lower voltage at idle (mine certainly does) but if you changed certain settings I think you could make it run at the set voltage all the time.

9. boltonuk007

ok, fair enough, thanks

10. TobletDanillio

TobletDanillio Minimodder

what are the fan settings like? turn the fan up?

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Furmark will stress the graphics part of the chip

If it doesnt work then the CPU is broken most likely

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I fail to see what's so shocking about 31 degrees. Idle temps don't mean diddly squat anyway. What's it like being hammered? That's what matters. The delta between ambient and idle is irrelevant. Mine idles at 37 now the weather is warmer. So what?

13. Mac_Trekkie

If you read the first post, it breaks when it's being hammered.

Maybe I'm just used to my i7 870 which idles at that now at 4.2ghz.

And the fact that this is a much beefier cooler than the intel one, so it should get suitably more beefy cooling done.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If the graphics are going mental at 60C I doubt temps are the problem here.

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Yeah, that's why I think the CPU (or something) is damaged.. Should run perfectly fine at 60C.