1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheers for pointing out they could be better, appreciated. :D

I didn't know the difference, now I do or at least the visual difference :) sugar glider has more style with it's mohawk stripe, they look awesome when gliding, wingman suits definitely got inspired by these little dudes. :D

Also further tweaked the fan grills to have 1 additional ring instead of the 2 but won't post images of it, next pictures will be actual pieces instead. ;)

It's about time I started progressing again I think, didn't do any gaming, just caught up on rest & done a little designing, not feeling exhausted now so mod on I will. :D

2. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I can't even go on holiday without you making some huge progress :D :thumb: Very nice indeed and the feet look awesome! As the fan grills go I do like the new design you have added!

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Sarakon :)

I'm in a pickle at the moment, energy, focus & enthusiasm is high at night instead of morning so I need to fix my sleep & not let it break again or invest a few hundred quid in making the cellar a bit more sound isolated, would be awesome if I had the spare cash but don't so fixing sleep is my best option. :)

I'm very fired up to mod right now & go all night but noise is a bit of an issue I think so I have to frustratingly not mod & try to fix my energy peak times.

4. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

I except you to do the same on my build if something looks horribly wrong! lol:dremel:

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Will do but it all looks awesome to me so far. :rock:

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

As I said, I'm having massive diffculty fixing my sleep so I reviewed all the things I could do to either work with my irregular sleep or fix it, fixing it is the cheapest & best way so just ordered the worlds loudest consumer alarm clock :hehe: it will be here tomorrow, so as long as it works right I'll start back on this on Thursday. :rock:

Here is a review on it. :D

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

So, the new alarm clock most definitely works, :D went to bed late, rested & up at good time, I'm focused & sparky not drowsy like usual when sleep is bad so today I'm revved up & ready to mod, should be like this every day now. :rock::dremel:

The alarm catapults you out of bed, just what I needed to sort my lazy bum out. :D

8. ogood

ogood What's a Dremel?

Wow, this is great - looks amazing. Im only 17 so new to modding:lol:, but this looks awesome. It just has taken me hours to read through this log so far! (I can't even imagine how long you have spent on it)
    Keep it up Waynio!! :rock:

Also I think i need to get that alarm clock - I have to set 4 alarms on my phone to wake me up!:wallbash:
    Subscribed!

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Progress woooo hooooooooo, feels good. :D
    Fan grills are down to these 2, I like them both really, was suggested by stonerboy on TBCS to just have 1 ring on the original design & it does look better than 2 extra rings.
    [​IMG]

Got 5 Pieces done today, only spent about 3 hours though so not bad. :)
    And here is the drill helper in action, makes it so anyone could easily drill precisely where they want to, it is 100% spot on where it should be, you just place it & clamp it & use the power drill with minimal effort, brilliant, just need to make a bigger one for bigger panels but they can be made rapidly. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mini-ITX mobo tray cut, drilled & countersunk ready for the 10mm female to female stand offs & m3 6mm countersunk screws, tested mounting a full ATX mobo to it & the mounts are completely spot on, I love digital callipers & printing designs. :D
    [​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

HTPC bottom level.
    [​IMG]

HTPC 2nd level.
    [​IMG]

HTPC 3rd level
    [​IMG]

Gamer rig bottom level with mini-ITX mobo tray.
    [​IMG]

Altogether
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The growing stack of parts just waiting to suddenly transform from a mess into a structure. :D
    [​IMG]

The "Sonic bomb" has really sorted me out so expect regular progress now, that thing can't fail to wake me up & I really put it to the test for this morning because I went to sleep at about 3AM & set it for 6:30 & it catapulted me out of bed, disturbs you so bad you don't bother with snooze, precisely what I needed all this time & is what has been delaying progress, being energetic at completely wrong time of day but this is fixed now, I'll just have to go easy on the coffee late in the day. :D

10. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

hmm at first I thought the second fan grill would be best but I'm more and more leaning towards the first one...

nice panels...

11. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

nice pieces! they´re so shiny =) I vote for the 2nd grill... The first one is nice too, but may be a bit too much IMO

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D I know, I'm a bit split really, thanks jokkos. :)

Cheers quiz kid, :D I'm really going to have to insist on that protective stuff they put on the material from now on, laser coating or something, keeps it in mint condition & is perfect for quickly sticking templates to, would all be nice looking if it all came with it on.

Might do both & see how they look in reality :D as always with my design part I can't show it quite like it would look in reality with the real material & lighting etc, could probably do with learning some advanced rendering to save me from excess work. :D

Feeling good knowing that drilling method works awesome, less worried about fixing it all together now. :)

13. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I like the 2nd fan grill...looks nice...

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheers Sarakon, 2-1 for number 2. :D

I got annoyed by a troll so missed a day of progress. :blah:

Last edited: 6 Apr 2012
  15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

More HTPC parts I did today.

The motherboard tray doesn't screw in place, it's held in place by a bottom, middle & upper layer & slides in/out for sweet easy maintenance, big part of the functional side of the theme, a dream for easy maintenance, something I really do like in a build. =)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Few more parts for screw less fixing of parts, 2 of 4 layers for HTPC internal sides, optical holding piece, extra piece for holding the hdd cage in place, another level for the HTPC & a few small bits to form the front of the HTPC.
    [​IMG]

Parts pile grows further.
    [​IMG]

More tomorrow. :D

16. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

lots of parts.... i look forward to more

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks dirky :)

Fan grills was 5-1 for the original grill with extra ring so I'll do those.

Felt too tired to create yesterday.

Since changing some parts from wood to aluminium I'm not sure if I have enough so might need to get some alu ordered, the wood side detail pieces are meant to be 5mm thick, I have no large enough 5mm plate so might do a double layer of 3mm adding an extra pattern that compliments the main one, we seen how it gave a nice effect doubling up the 3mm panels so it makes good sense to do that in this part if I have enough material anyway.

The scraps of the 10mm plate are more than enough for the feet though, measured them. :D

I could start building things up already now to boost some extra life into the log but I won't :p I don't want the form to get old like stealthlow did, plus I want to focus on 1 aspect at a time so it suddenly rises up when it's all ready to for a big ass wow moment. ;):D

So I think today I'll do the rest of the 3mm stuff & if I'm still feeling energetic make a start on the feet which I have no idea how long they will take me, 10mm takes a while to cut well. :lol:

18. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Parts goodness. I like the idea that you are holding back with the assembly. Gives us more surprises and we all do love those :thumb: :D

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Sarakon appreciated :)
    Was too tired on Sunday, had no mojo today but been awake & alert all day :confused: hopefully tomorrow will be a day of progress but I have made the case feet printer friendly to include all the levels of geometry, was pretty tricky with the funny geometry on the front bits, odd geometry on the fronts, backs, underneath & tops so will have templates to stick on all sides but will be a return to the put the back into it modding with a pile of filing to be done, should be a nice change to steady & concentrated. :D

Printed, stuck the feet templates to the scrap 10mm plate ready for tomorrow. :)

Last edited: 9 Apr 2012
  20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Back to the land of chunk for the feet.

Templates printed on sticker paper & applied to some of the spare 10mm plate.
    [​IMG]

And it begins & to be honest I find this easier than those crazy 3mm side panels, they really did feel like they were taking forever to get through.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to take a picture of this odd creature. :D
    [​IMG]

Fine cuts.
    [​IMG]

Done 1 of 5, I started pretty late in the day & it already hit 17:30 by the time I did this 1 piece so thought I'll do the rest on a long day tomorrow with an early rise, at least I know the curve cuts are doable with the standard band saw blades & just the notches need taking out with the finer blades for easier turn cuts.
    [​IMG]

Tested a piece of the 10mm alu slotted into the notch & it's a perfect tight fit. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]