1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Dreaded BSOD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by coolicus, 6 Apr 2012.

1. coolicus

coolicus What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys,

I came to my computer this morning to find it had Blue screened and it gave me the following error message:

STOP: 0X000000F4 (0X000000000000003, 0XFFFFFA80084AC450, 0XFFFFFA80084AC730, 0XFFFFF80002FD48B0)

Any ideas guys :p?

If you cant come up with anything specific I'll try a system restore but I would appreciate any assistance you may be able to give.

:D

2. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

3. Deders

Deders Modder

What is your spec? Are you using Sata or Pata disks?

4. coolicus

Thanks for your help guys,

I'm using SATA disks - 1 Crucial 128gb SSD and 1 Samsung F3 1TB drive.

Off the top of my head General spec is:
    CPU: i5 2500k running @ 3.30Ghz
    GPU: ATI Radeon 6970 2GB @ stock
    RAM: x 2 4GB Corsair 1.5v 1333mhz
    PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 800W

Only encountered this issue this morning and I have had the machine since last summer so I might try a system restore first and see if that resolves anything.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2012
  5. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

I just went through a load of BSOD freezes, crashes etc and it was my newest Flash Player 11.2.etc update. Deleted Adobe Flash Player via control panel and it ran fine all day yesterday. Installed the latest version again just now, so we will see what happens.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Is your SATA controller set to AHCI?

7. coolicus

Hey GoodBytes I'm going to go and check now :)!

8. coolicus

I can confirm the SATA controller is set to AHCI

9. GoodBytes

10. coolicus

Thank you very much Goodbytes.

I did change some other things on the BIOS to ACHI which were IDE and I've not seen any issues since - maybe it's resolved? The thing is up until today it was fine and I'd been using it since last summer.

I'll keep you up to date and thank you all for your help in anycase!

11. Deders

Deders Modder

Normally if you change the controller that the OS is on from IDE to AHCI, then windows won't boot. I'm guessing that what you changed is for a controller that nothing was attached to?

12. GoodBytes

Usually motherboard for custom builders (especially the higher end ones) comes with several SATA controllers (2 or even 3). You probably changed those, which aren't in use. So it doesn't do anything.

The BSOD could also be a random fluke. I mean consumer products aren't 100% reliable.. more like ~95%, while servers are more in the 98-99% range, hence their higher price (ECC memory, better circuit design, etc...)

As long as it doesn't happen again with the same error... I would not worry about it.

13. coolicus

Bad news I got another Blue screen after this :|!

It happened hours ago due to various dramas that occurred between then and now involving my computer after I failed at the simple task of reseating my RAM :p!

I cant recall what the blue screen said exactly but I think it mentioned page in the error message :/? So maybe something relating to my pagefile?

Also I seem to have done something to my mouse as on start up it wasn't working so I had to disconnect and reconnect it :/.

BAH all of this has to happen when I get 5 days off doesn't it :eyebrow:!

I really do appreciate all your help in anycase if/when it Blue screens again I will make sure to write it down!

14. GoodBytes

Ok the fix is quiet simple... take the computer, open the window, and trow it. Buy another one.
    LOL ok just kidding.

Sounds to me a RAM issue.
    Test your RAM using memText86 (free), AND , once done, also testing using Windows 7 memory diagnostic tool (Start > type: memory > select: Windows Memory Diagnostic, follow wizard). Both will take a very long time, and won't be able to use your system at the same time.

If there is an error that shows up, you can stop the test, and you know you will need to RMA your memory.

15. coolicus

The good news is that I did the Windows 7 memory diagnostic thing earlier today and it showed no issues. I'm going out tonight so before I leave the house I'll make sure to run that memtest thing :)!

Thank you very much GoodBytes you are a true hero of the bit tech forum!

16. coolicus

When I went to download the memtest thing my whole pc locked up (done that a few times today) and I had to shut it down by holding the power button.

Seeing as I have 2 hard drives with a Crucial m4 128gb SSD functioning as the OS drive with key programs like my browser etc installed on it would it be safe to say that is a likely contributor to the problem?

17. GoodBytes

Yes, your issue does sound like a failing SSD.

Glad I could help. Please rep people (if you can get your computer to stop BSOD or freezing for a moment) when they are helpful, even if it didn't solve your problem... helps to keep people here being very helpful to each other.

18. coolicus

I've repped you I believe :)!

I think I'm going to just cave in and take it to a computer place tomorrow and leave it with them and once they diagnose the problem (I'm banking on it being the SSD myself) I'll be able to return the current one as I think Crucial offer 3 years warranty on the M4.

19. GoodBytes

Nope, not rep-ed.

As long as it's a not a big chain store, your good. They will probably won't even know what an SSD is. These guys follows a troubleshoot manual with missing pages, that is designed to come to the wrong conclusions, so that you buy over priced services and parts from them.

But I don't think it's needed. You can check for a firmware for your SSD, or remove your SSD, make a small partition on your HDD to install Windows on it, and see if your system is fine. Installing Windows 7 on a fast USB 2.0 memory key , can be done in 7-8min. All you need is a 50GB partition to get yourself started.

Oh, everything here assumes that you cheeked for viruses, and malware and nothing was found. Remember, that an anti-virus software, for viruses, can only remove a virus, not repair damaged or deleted system files.

coolicus likes this.
  20. coolicus

Hey Goodbyes you should have rep now :)

Took it to a guy near where I live who knows what he is talking about and he stress tested everything and found no issues. He did change the voltage of my cpu from stock to manual and gave me a nice overclock and so far everything has been stable.

It seems like this whole thing might just have been caused by hardware getting a little finicky over time - I certainly hope so!