1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 680 watercooled.. was it worth it for you?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by feathers, 7 Apr 2012.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

oh yeh i know yours was at 70. i was refferring to the bogus afterburner shot from rollo and 'his watercooled 680' running at 82c. lol
    how loud was it with the fans at that level?

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Loud!!

680 is quiet on default in-game but then the temp rises to 81c.

For testing I put the fan on full speed to get an idea how stable it could be on water. Running the fan on 70%+ would be far too loud.

3. The_Crapman

yeh i know loud. untill i used speedfan, running my cpu cooler on the mobo control it used to run at 50% minimum, going to 100% under load. now i have it at 50% max which is still a bit annoying. until i turn my speakers up. lol

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Your P180 reduces the noise to some extent doesn't it but of course noise comes out at the back end.

I require near silent for gaming and other activities. The 680 cooler is excellent if you want stock speed on air or just a bit of OC. I will probably buy waterblock for it today though. Can't have my giant waterloop cooling only CPU and hard disk.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Yd8v2Ub9E&feature=player_embedded

http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-019-AQ

Last edited: 8 Apr 2012
  5. The_Crapman

yeh it would do if i wasn't missing a sidepanel and 5.25 bay covers. lol i could try and find some replacements, but i'll be making custom panels at some point so seems a waste of money.

you going with the aquagrafx rather than ek then? i think they look so much nicer:thumb:

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

OMG. You remind me of a friend up in Manchester who has P180. Always has side panel off because his abit/Q6600/ddr2 system will crash with panel on.

He has liquid cooled 6600.

GTX 460.

7. The_Crapman

Ha ha ha. I've got the sidepanel on the back at the month for easy access to the onboard reset on power buttons while I was ocing. But it'll be most to the front now it's stable. Just purchased a qx6850 on the market place and will fit that once I got some water sorted for the chip and nb.

8. dnottis

dnottis What's a Dremel?

here's mine...Zotac

Water cooled, 1310mhz running loaded. Runs about 37-38c.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I was sure my Asus mobo didnt have any onboard power switch. Over the past few days I realise it does. A bright red glow from mobo power button.

OC'ing the 680 seems to be quite addictive.

10. The_Crapman

Overclocking and benching is hideously addictive. When I was pushing my 460 I had a spreadsheet with all the results and countless screenshots. Then when I couldn't get further than 815 on the core I started on the bios, but being a pre production model it wouldn't accept even the tiniest increase in voltage. I was devastated when it was over. I had to start playing actual games again. Lol

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

LMAO at rollo's oddly pointless posting in this thread. Good man, I hope you feel better for wasting however long it took to re-upload other people's screens specifically for this thread. I like the facts that:

A. You change your screen resolution from 720 to 1080 in the blink of an eye
    B. The contents of the rest of your desktop are so top secret/offensive that they had to be removed
    C. You seem to switch between classic and Aero style windows between screenshots
    D. You are in utter denial

I too am jealous of those with 680s (or 580s, 480s - basically anything better than my 280), but you need to control the feeling dude.

Mind you, I'm still not feeling the upgrade itch yet, I need something (that I want to play) to completely cripple this 280.

+ rep of course! :clap:

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Aha! First person I've seen using VGA core only block. I have a spare EK VGA supreme I was intending to use and I have ramsinks. The zotac cooler didn't cool the PWM with heatsink did it? Just the ram and core?

I was cooling my 560Ti's with the VGA blocks but I went crazy today and bought a full cover EK 680 block. I swore I'd never go full cover again due to cost but selling my 2 x 560Ti reduced my 680 cost to £200.

Your temps are excellent.

13. dnottis

dnottis What's a Dremel?

Thanks man, I love my MCW-60 been using it for years now... btw the stock cooler did cool the PWMs...

With my GTX 480 and 580 I was able to remove the cover, remove the heatsink and mount my MCW-60... leaving on the fan and plate that covered PWMs and ram...

However, nvidia changed the design. There is no longer an IHS over the core which put the surface above the black back plate. So the block mounts lower and the cutout around the GPU wasn't big enough for the block to be mounted and make contact with the core... so for the first time in a few Nvidia generations I had to pull everything off, install MCW-60 and sink the PWMs.

its unfortunate but the card is phenomenal. I had some issues with BF3 last night though, so even though OC scanner runs for awhile and 3dmark 11 completes... BF3 might be too demanding. I bumped the power target to 132% while keeping core at 200% and ram at 500% but BF3 stopped responding. Back to the drawing board until we get actual voltage options.

Full cover blocks are just too much imo when you are spending $500 for the card. I'll keep doing what I have to with the mcw-60.

14. dnottis

dnottis What's a Dremel?

I was able to play BF3 and Crysis 2 for awhile last night at 132%, +180mhz, +400mhz. Still a great overclock to what I've seen some people discussing... and it's damned fast!!! :)