1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking First build complete. 3570K OC Figures on page 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tigernos, 8 Apr 2012.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Looks pretty dude, nice work!

2. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

................................................ No.....

Herp Derp :duh:

3. Tigernos

So I've spent two days playing with the new case, fans and PSU. Quick round up of things that have changed after taking the parts out of the old steel box of horrors.

Having spent almost as long on the cable routing as the parts swapping itself (probably more really) having the setup of intakes and the front and side the exhaust at the rear and leaving the top vents open means that my graphics card (1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series) no longer runs at 80+ degrees while playing EVE. With the fans on 100% it can't get past 45 Celsius. Watching a DVD or streaming a movie online the fans on minimum via the controller it still tops out at 45C so I'm happy.

CPU doesnt make it past 55C the chipset sits in the 30's as does the HDD (which is a seagate barracuda, donated computer and I had no idea it had a half decent HD)

So the case (plus my cabling mastery lol) is a god send for me.

Other good things include, the fans are blue, the PSU is blue, I've decided I like blue.

Buying the new Mobo in my sig tomorrow, then the long wait till next payday =/

Total cost so far: £133.12 (+£94.42 for http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...iii-6gb-s-raid-sata-pcie-20-(x16)-vga-on-boar tomorrow)

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Don't buy that board dude. Z77 boards are out now. There are better specced board about for the same price (Although no benchmarks yet) but there are four or five Z77 for less/a similar price.

5. Tigernos

Benchmarks here for one of the Gigabyte Boards: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/37481-intel-z77-chipset-gigabyte-z77-d3h-motherboard/?page=1

I doubt I'll be be able to afford all shiny new Ivy Bridge things just yet so theres no real advantage for me.

Having said that, the Z77 is cheaper, will do the same things, and means its a little more future proof once I can afford new shiny things.

So: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

Last edited: 13 Apr 2012
  6. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

oo look at you go, good job on your first build :thumb: Nothing going to stop you now.

Be warned The lust for new more expensive parts will grow and grow and consume... your bank account.

7. Tigernos

It already did, I've just ordered the Z77 Gigabyte mobo I linked in my previous post....

Browsing the interwebs for things I could look at buying in future and I saw some of the ASUS ROG motherboards, I could hear this screaming and realised it was coming from my wallet.....

These are the rest of the parts I'm building up to at the moment if anyone has any suggestions: http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/34cb964178a24406828fcaf93ee31402

Everyone has already said to get a better GPU but my budget really won't stretch quite that far and the 560ti outstrips my current graphics by huge amounts and my current graphics manages to run the games I want just fine ;)

Last edited: 13 Apr 2012
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

odd. very odd.:worried: looks like it's modding time!:dremel::D

9. Tigernos

Haha no it does im just a dead loss. I pushed it back so both locking pins we holding the controller in place as that seemed "right" in my head. Sliding it forward and flush with the outer casing only allows for one locking pin in the 3.5 bay to hold it however that just didn't compute with me and do I left it pushed back. Hence the herp derp and facepalm at the end. As for modding. Maybe I'll do something proper in the future, but I just got this pretty case. I don't wanna chop it up just yet

10. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I can testify to the ROG boards being particularly awesome.
    I have this one:-
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/07/18/asus-maximus-iv-gene-z/7

11. The_Crapman

:duh: and one herp derp to me. Lol
    That gigabyte mobo will look pretty swetty in your case and all those bled led fans:D all the rest of your parts you linked look good. You should keep an eye on the marketplace here where you can pick up some bargains. If your budget could stretch to it, you might want to wait for the new GTX670, which is the 560ti equivelent in the kepler range and would give better longevity.

12. Tigernos

Where do I find the marketplace? Cant seem to find it.

As for the GTX670 its a definite possibility but I'll have to see how money pans out over the next few weeks (self employed) I work with/in schools and with easter I've got a couple of week gap in my income to think about.

I'm partially impatient just to get it built and sorted quickly, hence limiting my budget, the current old system isn't going to last much longer I don't think, so I was going for speed more than being willing to save for better parts. However once it's build with 560ti I may well save and save and plump for something insane later down the line.

The way I see it currently I've got a cheapish mobo, decent CPU and decent GPU, if I were to get a ultra settings capable GPU I could feel like perhaps I should upgrade the mobo to match. I have no idea what real effect sticking high end graphics on a £80 mobo would have (bottlenecks??) but I feel like my current semi-cheap setup matches, like a good outfit.

I have also just realised I'm insane. Here have a picture:

[​IMG]

Leaving it boxed till I get the rest of the parts so its staying inside its anti-static bag which isn't conducive to clear picture taking, darn reflections, so I'll stick a pic up once the CPU+Cooler/RAM/Win7 arrives in a few weeks and I'll actually put it together.

13. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You can't see it until you have 75 posts and 30 days of membership :)

14. Tigernos

Ah ok, I'll have to find a way to spam make constructive posts somewhere to get my post count up. I'm already over 30 days as I registered sometime in the latter half of last year.

15. The_Crapman

You'd be surprised how quickly you can rack up posts. Have a browse throughh the project logs and give praise and rep at your merryment! will no doubt give you some inspiration and asperations for your own rig too:idea:

16. Tigernos

I have had a quick look through there once already and seen enough to get my evil little mind planning me out of any savings for the next couple of decades.

17. Tigernos

So I'm dragging this topic back from page 6 simply to ask:

Ivy Bridge i5 3570K is only £10 more expensive than the SB i5 2500K I was intending to get. Is there any reason why I should NOT just buy it. I already have an IB ready mobo.

18. The_Crapman

not at all. if you already had an i5 2500k then there'd be no point, but as you haven't definitely go for it!

19. Tigernos

Completely unnecessary and shameless bump post to say.... I just placed the order for the 3570K and cooler to go with.

I'M SO EXCITED

[​IMG]

Next week the GPU and RAM and it will be finished!!!

Madness_3d likes this.
  20. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

^ Brought a smile to my face on a thursday morning :) +rep & good luck with the build