1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Enermax Liberty 400W PSU Vs E8500 + GTX 480! PhysX Challenge!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 8 Apr 2012.

?

Enermax Liberty 400W PSU Vs E8500 + GTX 480

1. YES, it will work flawlessly!

30 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. NO, it will never work!

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

My GTX 480 arrived today! :clap:

Exploring the installation of the EK water block it looks well put together but taking a peep inside I can see an awful lot of gunk! It doesn't look like corrosion to my eyes and cleans off to a nice shine with isopropanol. So I will need to strip the card right down before I even think about installing it in my loop. Looks like both the block and GPU will be treated to an alcohol bath. Also give me the chance to apply silicone grease to all the o-rings which I've found invaluable when it comes to water cooling.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

ooo mine arrived today. you know what that means...... overclock off!:D
    actually, no forget that. i'm on air and don't fancy being burned by the exhaust gases. lol

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

But I have a weaker PSU so it's a fair fight surely! :D

4. The_Crapman

And it's Core 2 Duo versus Core 2 Quad i suppose. Here's my score on rather modest settings:
    [​IMG]

CPU and 480 both@stock, apart from a more aggressive fan profile to curb those temps. Heaven settings@ DX11, Tesellation Normal, Shaders High, x4 Antisropy, stereo 3d disabled, AA off and full screen at 1080.

your move....:eyebrow:

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'm cracking the Gelid cooler out for this fight! :D

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

OH MY DEAR GOD! My GTX 480 with Gelid Icy Vision installed works flawlessly on my 400Watt Enermax PSU! :jawdrop:

Currently at stock settings with EVERYTHING powered through the Enermax Liberty 400Watt PSU, including Delta fans at minimum speed. Running Furmark stability test the GTX 480 is under 60 degrees and the system is pulling under 470W from the mains.

Next stop I will try stressing the E8500 alongside Furmark.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Under 60 degrees? DANG! That's even better than my Gigabyte monster lol!

Now that's a good PSU. :thumb:

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's not even under water yet!

Just ran a light run on Prime95 alongside Furmark and it's now drawing over 500W from the mains. I'm very very happy with this result, what an amazing little PSU! Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to run a more stressful test under Prime95 and really push the pedal to the metal.

If everything works fine on that angle then I'll take some benchmarks and look forward to putting the card under water and testing the overclock headroom this Enermax PSU can tolerate. :D

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Holy cow, I wonder if my PSU could handle that sort of load without crapping out.

Props for going through with it, I wouldn't have!

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thanks, It's my fun factor PC. Been through so many configurations over the years! Air cooled in various guises, GTX 8800, HD 4870, GTX 260, GTX 460 SLI and then a Geforce 210. Constantly wrestled with cooling the Northbridge and also burning out RAM at one stage! I think I'll settle for full water cooling and a GTX 480 for my final salute to this proud system. :D

Also did I get lucky? With my short series of tests the GTX 480 doesn't seem to be quite the electricity chewing monster it's been made out to be! I'd estimate a 50W difference to a GTX 260 from what I've observed.

11. The_Crapman

Currently bricking it. You'll probably smash my my heaven score now. First run on stock fan profile saw 82C! How did nvidia ever pass these cards for sale with these hsf's on!?

If I wasn't saving for the bits for modding my rig (and my mates wedding in vegas :worried: ) I'd go get a 3rd party cooler. Actually, f it. It'll be a good few months before then and I can't go cooking it before then!

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

My old 480 used to hit 100C I'm furmark with the stock cooler. It also used to cause my old OCZ 600w PSU to shut down. They really should have at least had better coolers.

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's not like the stock cooler isn't a serious piece of cooling metal though.

Perhaps it's the way air flows over the assembly that was the problem?

14. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

It was pretty good cooler, in relative terms, but even a vapour chamber cooler would have had difficulty cooling fermi, as the Gtx 580 had lower leakage slow switching capacitors, that and the vapour chamber cooler all helped to make the 580 a completely different beast in comparison to the 480.

and good on the 400W liberty PSU, I knew Enermax where awesome, I don't think I'll ever use a different PSU company, and I reckon you could probably pull 600W from that PSU before it craps it's pants and calmly shuts down :thumb:

Last edited: 14 Apr 2012
  15. The_Crapman

It is a massive chunk of metal that's for sure. I didn't realise till I saw it in the flesh that the whole of the top is part of the heat sink. But it's quite thick and with only your case air flow to cool the top of it, it could be just retaining heat causing the whole of the thing to overheat.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

This is a test for my GTX 480 using Furmark Xtreme Burning Mode.

[​IMG]

With my twin Delta fans on low the Enermax Liberty 400W was pulling just a shade under 500W from the mains.

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

This is a test for my GTX 480 using Furmark Xtreme Burning Mode alongside a light test of Prime95.

[​IMG]

With my twin Delta fans on low the Enermax Liberty 400W was pulling just a shade under 540W from the mains. :jawdrop:

18. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

At least wind her up to 800 MHz and give me a fight... as I have just tweaked mine up to 825 at stock voltages...

Bog standard card ( Gigabyte stickered ! )

LOL

dunx

Last edited: 15 Apr 2012
  19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Are you on air?

I don't want to push things to hard at the moment because I have no direct contact cooling on the VRM or memory. Once I clean up the card and get it fully kitted out with a water block and possibly a backplate then I'll consider the overclocking potential I can unleash. Also beware as I'm an old hand editing Fermi BIOS since unlocking the voltage on my GTX 460 cards! :D

20. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

What a monster little PSU that is.