1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Official "John Hanlon Fund Raiser" PC Build (Thank you Mach!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 23 Feb 2012.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I saw the pictures on FB with you out and about with family. You have no idea how much family means until they are all gone. My post was a banter between me and Cheaps. No reflection on you. Cheaps and I go WAY back. The boy built a waterblock for me with no electricity in the middle of a hurricane. Drill press by hand? Friendship.

john

2. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

Grills look awesome sorry for blurry pic but my camera should be on its way from the shop . ..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DarthBeavis

this is how i will mount the res but cannot do that until I have fittings
    [​IMG]

4. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

Glad to see the patriot stuff at last :) looking forward to more updates

5. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

Thanks mate i see you holding it.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ouch. I see some 90's in your future... That res is gigantic!:D

7. DarthBeavis

yep got some BP rotaries here
    Gonna bolt the res to the HDD cage good thing I ship with Instapak . . .if that thing broke loose in shipping it would great so much damage it might take down the airplane in flight or make the UPS truck go off the road

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I was wondering how the res would fit in thinking it would cover a good bit of the motherboard, just shift the gpu lower, of course. :D:duh:

It is an awesome feature for the rig & would have definitely been a shame for it to be hidden.

9. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

New members first post.

I am so lucky to be a member of such a comunity, (a new super nooby member but still...). You are all such an inspiration for my modding and life in general.
    @John, I hope you are as well as you can be and though i have nothing material to offer, (very poor and struggling to pay bills atm sorry :sigh:), i send you my best wishes.

Thx to you all. :thumb:

10. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

What about fitting it in the HDD rack and it looking clean plus it'll have more support there ? My 2P thats all =0 Things are looking brilliant cant wait for this to go up , Ship to uk ? :p

11. DarthBeavis

Does not fit . . .

12. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Wow, grills do look good in red :) Yea, i didnt pull the paper off so this is the first time seeing one other than the black test model.

13. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think you should mount that graphics card in the secondary slot. Most 1155 boards will only give the second slot 8 PCI-E lanes whether or not the first slot is populated, I'm checking the documentation for the board you're using (GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3 right?) and it seems to be the case with this one as well.

Any way to mount it on the lower cage just above the floor radiator? could make wire management and tube routing a pain but it looks like it would fit.

14. DarthBeavis

Show me tests that indicate an appreciable difference between 8 and 16 ;)

[​IMG]

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-crossfire-nvidia-sli-multi-gpu,2678-5.html

15. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Yay! You chose the spot I suggested. Are you going to also create a bracket like the one I sketched for you? ;)

16. DarthBeavis

thinking about the bracket part . . .might just make a simpler one want to keep it mounted close the the drive cage

17. yougotkicked

Interesting, I hadn't seen an article on the topic before. As a computer science major I would not have thought the bandwidth was so unnecessary, if you cut the bandwidth of the RAM link in two, you see an immediate 50% performance loss. I'll be moving my graphics card now, it's blocking the airflow of 5 case fans because I assumed it needed to be in slot 1.

18. DarthBeavis

as a former software engineer I can tell you the bandwidth is not saturated :D When I am not modding I also work events for ASUS and NVIDIA so I try to keep up with details like this as I give a ton of advice out while on the road.

19. yougotkicked

It makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. I know that when they make new format standards they make sure there is enough room to grow (the latest gen of CF memory cards' firmware can address a petabyte-scale capacity), I just didn't really think about how much throughput each lane could deliver.

:clap: HURRAY FOR LEARNING!! :clap:

20. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Its very touching to see an online community come together like this.
    I just wish that I had some hardware that I could give towards the build, unfortunately it all seems to be sorted out.